Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Finally replaced timing belt..but,

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally replaced timing belt..but,

Okay so i replaced the Tbelt, water pump, and all other accessory belts. The car is a 93' EX sedan auto with all options except leather and a CD player, and 169XXX miles. I fire it up and the engine vibrates like crazy and one of the belts is screeching. I checked and retighten all the belts, fire it up again and still screech. This time the Alternator felt really hot, like it was heating up or something. But when i let it run for ~3 minutes the idle would drop instantly close to 200 and felt like limp mode. Could I have miss tightening a bolt somewhere? what can cause such a screeching noise? why is the alt heating up?

how it happened: The belt snapped while I warmed it up before leaving to work a week ago in my driveway. So luckily i didnt have to tow it anywhere.

Looking at the plastic cover and crankshaft pulley and cam pulley i couldn't find any markings watsoever so i'm thinking the previous owner had never replaced the belt.

Can you guys help me out?

*I know i searched and all i find is posts about when tbelt and such and such was due to replace..blah, blah, blah and a link to some site that didnt exist. That is why i posted this.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Finally replaced timing belt..but, (eg6_rick)

uhh your timing belt snapped? your valves are probably fucked up
Old 09-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally replaced timing belt..but, (Stealthman80)

so either way, i'll have to 1) get a new head? 2) adjust valves? 3) get a new engine?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:24 PM

1 and 3
Old 09-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stealthman80 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uhh your timing belt snapped? your valves are probably fucked up</TD></TR></TABLE>
not really it was at a idle low rpm so maybe not a possibilite though it had no markings did you set the timing right or the balance shaft but the alt heating up is it touching the ground or something touching it that might just be the problem as to the crazy idle
Old 09-17-2006, 07:00 AM
It Wasn't Me!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Finally replaced timing belt..but, (BlUAc)

Hard to say but the screaching could be a bad tensioner pulley or overtight t-belt.

Vibration could be bent valves or cam/balancer timing not set right. I'd tear it all back down and check these items before sinking a lot of money into it.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally replaced timing belt..but, (someone else)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by someone else &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hard to say but the screaching could be a bad tensioner pulley or overtight t-belt.

Vibration could be bent valves or cam/balancer timing not set right. I'd tear it all back down and check these items before sinking a lot of money into it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ planning to do that again today. I had a feeling something was over tighten (prolly not the accessory belts because they still have some slack) so it might be the balancer belt. There were no previous markings but i did tighten and set it right on the spot it was before (i.e. you can see rust spots around one area and normal spots around the other so that is where i adjusted or tighten the bolt to)

Like BlUAc said, it was sitting at idle when it snapped so the valves. And the alt heating up? i'm still not sure why its doing that, i dont think theres any loose ground wire or metal touching it. But I'll check again today. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:51 AM

Hi, the drive belts should have minimal slack. That could be the cause of the noise. There is actually 2 balancer shafts on that engine. One is behind the oil pump drive. even if the front bal. shaft is set to the index mark...the rear shaft can be 180 off even though the mark is lined up. There is a 14mm head plug that is removed to align the rear shaft. You need a 6mm or so dowl to insert and align/lock down the rear balancer shaft. The balancer shafts being off will cause vibrations.