Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Feels like low compression...but I don't have low compression

Old 09-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feels like low compression...but I don't have low compression

Under heavy acceleration, it feels like the power delivery is uneven - like how I would imagine a cylinder with low compression would feel like. I just did a compression check though and all cylinders are within 10 psi of each other (my tester show 190-200 psi, I know its not accurate, but they are consistent). It's the most pronounced at 2000-3000 rpm under heavy throttle.

I already put new plugs and wires on.

What could it be? Fuel injectors? ignition coil?

93 Accord EX, 177,000 miles. Thanks all!
Old 09-15-2014, 01:28 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Feels like low compression...but I don't have low compression

Since you mention 2-3Krpm and 'heavy throttle' I am wondering how heavy? Is this WOT or still part throttle?
A simple test.
Disconnect the vacuum line to the EGR valve, and plug the vacuum line. Go for a drive, the check engine light will most likely come on. But take note if there is any difference in engine performance.
Reconnect the vacuum line and disconnect the EGR lift sensor wire connector. Check engine light will come on again. Again take note if there is any difference in engine performance.
If with the lift sensor disconnected the car runs better, more than likely the EGR passages are clogged/blocked and will need to be cleaned.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try disconnecting the EGR. It does it at both part throttle and WOT.

I've read that CV axles can cause uneven power delivery although both axles were just replaced with "Duralast" reman axles.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
Since you mention 2-3Krpm and 'heavy throttle' I am wondering how heavy? Is this WOT or still part throttle?
A simple test.
Disconnect the vacuum line to the EGR valve, and plug the vacuum line. Go for a drive, the check engine light will most likely come on. But take note if there is any difference in engine performance.
Reconnect the vacuum line and disconnect the EGR lift sensor wire connector. Check engine light will come on again. Again take note if there is any difference in engine performance.
If with the lift sensor disconnected the car runs better, more than likely the EGR passages are clogged/blocked and will need to be cleaned.
Does unplugging the lift sensor disable the EGR? What is the functional difference between doing this and removing the EGR vacuum line alltogther?
Old 09-15-2014, 03:04 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

If this happens at WOT then EGR is not affecting the engine.
Check spark strength (blue/white spark) and fuel pressure.
Originally Posted by masospaghetti
Does unplugging the lift sensor disable the EGR? What is the functional difference between doing this and removing the EGR vacuum line alltogther?
Disconnecting the vacuum line does not cause an instant CEL and the ECU will try to function the car normally, it does not know immediately that the EGR system has been disabled. With the vacuum hose disconnected the valve will not open and will cause more pinging/lean misfire issues. But if there is no change then the EGR ports are already plugged and the car will run the same or slightly worse.

Disconnecting the lift sensor will cause an instant CEL as the ECU will see an open in that circuit. Knowing this the ECU will compensate for the non functional EGR system and you will not have pining/lean misfire issues, but will have the CEL.

It is not the best method for checking, but it is the easiest/cheapest and usually works pretty well on pre OBDII vehicles. OBDII vehicles monitor EGR gas flow so they will compensate and initiate the 'low EGR flow' code.