Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Fast Idle Valve is leaking coolant. Replace valve or is there a seal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast Idle Valve is leaking coolant. Replace valve or is there a seal?

The fast idle valve on my '91 Accord LX wagon is leaking coolant. It seems to be coming from the screws for the bowl that the coolant flows through. I can't seem to find a separate seal for the bottom bowl just the o-rings that seal the valve to the intake and for the cap. Is there a part number for a seal for that bottom portion or will I just have to buy a whole fast idle valve?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Fast Idle Valve is leaking coolant. Replace valve or is there a seal?

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/parts.../throttle-body

2, 3, and 17 are the only orings attaching to the fitv

What normally happens is the bolts at part no. 25 back out which allows coolant to leak. You should use a very light amount of thread lock on the threads when attaching the three bolts to the IM.

If it's leaking internally then you just need to replace the valve itself. You can find these at the junkyard.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Found my answer.

I figured I'd update in case someone else had the same issue with a still good fast idle thermo valve. I had used new seals to the intake and fitv cap when I cleaned and tightened the valve about 50-70k miles ago, so my bolts (no. 25 in the diagram) were still tight. Where mine was leaking from was from the bowl on the bottom of the FIV and it was running down the longer lower hose. It was a small leak pooling coolant on my intake. At first I thought it was a corroded hose nipple since I recently replaced every one of my hoses, even the small ones. I cleaned the nipples with some steel wool and still it leaked. I switched out the spring hose clamps to screw type clamps and still it leaked. I eventually found the leak was coming from one of the two screws attaching the bowl to the fitv but they were still tight. So then I wanted to know what seals that bowl and if it's replaceable. Well the bowl on the bottom is sealed to the fast idle valve assy by an o-ring that looks to be about 2mmx32mm and is not available separately according to Honda parts sites. Since I relay on this car I only took apart my old fast idle valve after replacing it with a new one. I could have saved a bit of cash with just an o-ring it seems.

Thanks for the help anyway holmesnmanny.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Fast Idle Valve is leaking coolant. Replace valve or is there a seal?

I think when these get that bad it could be the coolant in the system is comprised of tap water which speeds up the deterioration of the parts in the cooling system.

I would suggest having your coolant completely drained and filled a couple times to try to get rid of the old coolant in the system to help prevent any minerals in there from further ruining any other things.

Furthermore, always use 50/50 mixture of coolant and distilled water or buy the preassembled 50/50 stuff.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do usually changed my coolant every year to every other year.