Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   F23A(jdm) in 2001 Dx no option car. Vtec issues!!! 37820-PAB-A04 (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/f23a-jdm-2001-dx-no-option-car-vtec-issues-37820-pab-a04-3335246/)

zenmark84 03-23-2019 07:59 PM

F23A(jdm) in 2001 Dx no option car. Vtec issues!!! 37820-PAB-A04

Ok, let's see who can "really " tell me why my vtec does something strange and a possible fix. 2001 Dx 5sp, has f23a(jdm) w/vtec(I know it's a swap). 37820-PAB-A04 ecm.... what perplexing me is that if the car is sitting in neutral you can rev it up to 6800 and it doesn't even act like it has vtec, but once you put it in gear at 4200(vtec kickin)it starts acting like it knows vtec solenoid should be getting power, but it's not hooked up because there is no wire to attach to.... from what little I can find these were non vtec cars, but yet it knows it should be when it hits 4200????
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...b0a5ff3adc.jpg

zenmark84 03-23-2019 08:16 PM

Re: F23A(jdm) in 2001 Dx no option car. Vtec issues!!! 37820-PAB-A04

Please someone ask someone that might know, in happy to give full details on anything in question!!!

angrysmileyface 03-24-2019 04:32 AM

Vtec doesn't engage just because the car is a certain rpm. There are several other factors. From tps readings and rpm and a specific oil pressure. Are you getting a vtec related cel? Also it seems that ecm was meant to power an f23a5 engine which was non-vtec

zenmark84 03-24-2019 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by angrysmileyface (Post 51894745)
Vtec doesn't engage just because the car is a certain rpm. There are several other factors. From tps readings and rpm and a specific oil pressure. Are you getting a vtec related cel? Also it seems that ecm was meant to power an f23a5 engine which was non-vtec

that is my question how does a computer that wasn't meant for VTec know it should be on when in gear but if its neutral it will let you red bang it, in gear you cant go above 42-45hundred rpm.
jdm motors do not have oil pressure sensors or water temp sensors just for vtec to work, they dont even have plugs to use. On the the front of a usdm f23a1 coolant housing has a sensor, mine doesn't even have a whole in the housing to put one, also usdm vtec solenoid has the oil pressure pressure plug, also mine doesn't have one either.. the thing is something is telling this car when in gear once it gets above a certain but possibly non specific rpm that it thinks it should be in vtec because it start acting up and missing and the power goes away.. car still runs... it just runs like crap. But remember in neutral I can run rpms all the way to redline quickly or slowly and it sounds like a non vtec and meaning it doesn't sputter, pop or anything, actually sounds good. And that ECU is for dx01-02 m/t side air bag cars only, it's the only model that any site I've gone to(well over 50) has listed it to be with. Yet if you look one up ffg or sale you will be VERY surprised what they sell for. Ans this car was built as a no option except a/c car.... no power windows, locks, seats, it doesn't even have abs(and no it was not just taken out)

angrysmileyface 03-24-2019 11:16 AM

A non vtec computer doesn't give a crap about whether or not the vtec system is there. You Can install a f23a1 or f23a4 and it will ignore signals from the solenoid. It will never push anything regardless of what your butt dyno says. Also you can hit more rpms in neutral because your not pushing that power through the trans to the wheels

MAD_MIKE 03-24-2019 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by zenmark84 (Post 51894861)
that is my question how does a computer that wasn't meant for VTec know it should be on when in gear but if its neutral it will let you red bang it, in gear you cant go above 42-45hundred rpm.

No load. It will free rev to beyond redline if the PCM didn't have a fuel cutoff.
With load the engine will only be able to rev to where it can produce power under load. With no VTEC the engine can only pump enough air to make enough power under low and mid lift cam.

jdm motors do not have oil pressure sensors or water temp sensors just for vtec to work, they dont even have plugs to use.

JDM engines forgo the VTEC oil pressure switch and the ECT 'B' switch.

Ans this car was built as a no option except a/c car.... no power windows, locks, seats, it doesn't even have abs(and no it was not just taken out)

That's what DX models are, low/no option cars. Roll up windows and power nothing. By the mid 90s AC, PS, PB are fairly standard items across all makes. Outside of smaller econobox.

If you want VTEC functionality you will need a VTEC PCM to activate the VTEC solenoid, and more importantly to have the correct timing and fuel maps for proper power output.
It's not simply VTEC activation that makes the A1 150HP vs the A5 being 135HP, there's a bit more to it.
37820-PAA-A04 is the PCM you will need. And figure out the wiring for the engine, or locate the correct engine harness for your A1.

zenmark84 03-25-2019 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE (Post 51894914)
No load. It will free rev to beyond redline if the PCM didn't have a fuel cutoff.
With load the engine will only be able to rev to where it can produce power under load. With no VTEC the engine can only pump enough air to make enough power under low and mid lift cam.

JDM engines forgo the VTEC oil pressure switch and the ECT 'B' switch.

That's what DX models are, low/no option cars. Roll up windows and power nothing. By the mid 90s AC, PS, PB are fairly standard items across all makes. Outside of smaller econobox.

If you want VTEC functionality you will need a VTEC PCM to activate the VTEC solenoid, and more importantly to have the correct timing and fuel maps for proper power output.
It's not simply VTEC activation that makes the A1 150HP vs the A5 being 135HP, there's a bit more to it.
37820-PAA-A04 is the PCM you will need. And figure out the wiring for the engine, or locate the correct engine harness for your A1.

mine isnt an A1, mine is an A(no 1,4, or5) as you commented exactly what I had already said "JDM motors do NOT have those sensors, so being that the computer you suggested will code constantly because that's a usdm computer looking for a lot more sensors.... so please if you're going to answer questions know what you're answering and read the question thoroughly before answering, there was 0 reasons for you to break my comment down into groups of questions and answers that I had already given the answer to and yes vtec will work without being under load and no you cant go past redline on all Honda motors my 3.2 l stops itself from redlining in my 04 TL... and mamike and the other guy Capt obvious, before you go getting upset and trying to put me down or make me sound dumb, don't( this isnt my first sohc 16valve f series)... re-read the original post.

MAD_MIKE 03-25-2019 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by zenmark84 (Post 51895783)
mine isnt an A1, mine is an A(no 1,4, or5)

Correct its a JDM engine, an 'F23A' Translated to 'Murican that is the same as an 'F23A1'.
In the US we get those cool Arabic numerals added on to better distinguish them. F23A4 is the SULEV version and F23A5 is the non-VTEC po-dunk engine.

as you commented exactly what I had already said "JDM motors do NOT have those sensors, so being that the computer you suggested will code constantly because that's a usdm computer looking for a lot more sensors..

When swapping in a JDM engine into a USDM vehicle, you only use the long block.
Intake manifolds are usually slightly different, sensors are slightly different as well if not simple deleted on the JDM units.
So you get to swap over all those sensors to your JDM engine from the USDM one. That includes changing intakes and water outlets to retain the needed sensors to work with the correct F23A1 USDM PCM.
Only way to run a JDM engine without changing anything would be to run the JDM harness and JDM PCM. But that is problematic as the JDM PCM and sensors are just different enough not to properly work with USDM components. For later repair it is just easier to swap everything to USDM spec parts.

.. so please if you're going to answer questions know what you're answering and read the question thoroughly before answering,

I did and explained to you the issue.

there was 0 reasons for you to break my comment down into groups of questions and answers

Yes, there is.
As you are missing the simple fact that you are trying to run a VTEC engine with a non-VTEC PCM and are wondering why your VTEC is not working.
Now if you can get off your imaginary high horse and learn something maybe, just maybe, you will be able to get your car working properly by the end of the day.

...and yes vtec will work without being under load..

No.
You failed to pickup what I laid down for you.
Any engine will rev to beyond redline if allowed with no load on it. It is merely spinning itself.
A no load condition doesn't require as much air and fuel to get the engine to spin faster. All that the engine is powering is itself.
In other words.
You don't have VTEC activation in Neutral, nor do you need it to redline the engine in a no load(neutral) condition.

and no you cant go past redline on all Honda motors my 3.2 l stops itself from redlining in my 04 TL..

Again, have to break down the Q&A cause you aren't reading, and are definitely not comprehending.

and the other guy Capt obvious,

You mean the gentleman whom pointed out your A5 PCM obviously does not have VTEC capability?

before you go getting upset...

Who is upset? Besides you.

...and trying to put me down...

No one was putting you down, you posted a query, it was answered in earnest.

...or make me sound dumb, don't...

No one was making you sound dumb, you did that all by your lonesome, quite eloquently.

( this isnt my first sohc 16valve f series)...

Did that one not work properly either?

...re-read the original post.

Are you going to apologize for your name calling and garbage attitude.
So you can learn something.

Or are you gonna piss off with your incessant whinging.

2171USMC 03-26-2019 04:56 AM

Hey zenmark84. Not to pick on you and I am certainly a nobody with any advice to offer save a nickels worth of free advice. I've been visiting this site for years, longer than my account lets on. Not that Mad Mike needs my help but I will say he is one of the most knowledgeable fellas I've seen on here, genuinely offers help. It might help if you just hit reset and listen to some of his advice.

Just FYI

HTH

zenmark84 03-26-2019 11:03 AM

No I will not apologize for him not being able to get past his ego.... granted he may have been trying to help but was not, because as you noticed he did not ask me anything about the car or things that may have been done to it. Because to give an intelligent and correct answer not just try to sound like an arrogant prick you need information and get that when you ask questions.....

Like:
Did you do the motor swap zenmark84? (No) bought it this way.
Which engine wiring harness is on it? (Well I'm not 100% sure, but i do know there are no extra wires or plugs, nor does it look like it has been spliced anywhere. Also it has a square 4 wire dizzy plug which I've never seen before nor a couple other mechanics that have looked at it. ) so it may be JDM

So,to Capt obvious I do apologize if that bothered you, but In my defense I did say in the comment vtec wasn't wired and Mike had already done his part. Because there wasn't a wire to use, also said I knew they were non vtec cars. Apologies non the less.

but I guess my "whining" or wait just asking for the question to be answered intelligently not arrogantly like towards the end or just out right showing his @$$, cant apologize to or for him... now if this means he wont help any or whatever else comes of this.... none of my comments were meant to offend, but in assuming as mike did in his cute little cut and paste the words I want q&a section, really Mike???
You must know all the facts you can before making a deductive solution (and not just that I might be an ass on occasion/ I'm usually not)