Default Re: F22b1 Turbo Build

Originally Posted by dmike082003
Update?
He probably forgot about his thread.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the long pauses in this build but you know how it is. Anyway I did decide to go the non vtec route so I pulled an A6 head. Took the cam out and will be sending it off this month to get it regrind. Im planning level 2. Now they (bisi) "recommend" their pro springs with this cam but i figured since the springs in the A6 head are a bit more stiff they should work fine. Its not like i will be reving pass 7500 rpms. I mean DONT plan to. But the head is off to the shop to be resurfaced, cleaned, and to replace a few of the valves. Valves and spring will be OE. I hope to have the head completed before mid December. Oh, and I am looking for an H23 intake manifold to add to the mix so if anyone knows where i can find pm me please. After that it will be assemble time. So thats the update and hopefully Im not thrown a curve ball.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So over the last few weeks I've been getting things in and done. Here's a few pictures of things purchased and work that has been done.
Here's the H23 intake manifold I found on ebay for a really good price. Hard to find though:

Few pictures of the head that I pulled from the junk yard. This A6 looks brand spanking new and cant wait to get it all assembled and put together!

Finally here is the Cam I chose to go with:

Old 01-04-2014, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now I don't feel so bad about taking forever to piece together my crap for my turbo build haha! BTW, at lower lift values(in the range which most of the aftermarket regrind cams run), the F22B1/VTEC heads will actually outflow the F22A heads as factory cast and with a little porting. Still pretty excited to see how this turns out.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i havnt looked at this build in a while, but hell yeah man! i just got my bisimotor cam in last week. not sure if youve checked out my build but i did the same thing, bisimoto forged pistons rods (86mm 9.1 comp), bisimoto pro springs/retainers, and the stage 1.2 turbo came, but im using a f23 intake mani and plenum.

i should have some good before after hp numbers next week. gonna dynotune when i install the cam. ill have to keep you posted.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Still going strong... doesn't matter how long it takes. I'm going on 6 years now, I think. Sometimes life gets in the way and that's just the way it is.

Originally Posted by chrisnick
Now I don't feel so bad about taking forever to piece together my crap for my turbo build haha! BTW, at lower lift values(in the range which most of the aftermarket regrind cams run), the F22B1/VTEC heads will actually outflow the F22A heads as factory cast and with a little porting. Still pretty excited to see how this turns out.
I don't think that is as much of an issue with a forced induction engine..... This thing should have no problems breathing!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sure it would! Better flow equals less boost for the same numbers and better spool!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisnick
Sure it would! Better flow equals less boost for the same numbers and better spool!
I agree with the flow statement

For the sake of 300hp ether head will work. However, the F22A has much better intake and exhaust options. IMO that would very easily make up that 20cfm difference right there!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea no need to feel bad at all I've just accepted it. Like Ghost said its part of life but any progress is good progress. But as for the head a motive to go with the F22a was getting away from vtec. I dont want any potential issues when it comes to tuning, etc. But just as much I do have more intake/exhaust options and all in all the flowing should be great without issues when done. The h23 mani bolts up a lot easier to the F22A than the B1.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know its been a minute, but you know how it goes. Anyway here's some update photos and info on whats been going on.

Here is a photo of the car a while ago before I decided to to pull the the motor out, since i had the head off, to clean the block up and the pistons. I also repainted the engine. Nothing extreme. I mainly did it to discipline myself and to take some kind of pride in what i was doing. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the pistons after they were cleaned.

Did alot of scrubbing and cleaning on the bay, motor and tranny because it all pretty much looked like this.

I was happy I did it all once I finished and was impressed with the results.

Here is how the motor sits as of now. I plan to wrinkle coat the valve cover black.

Other things I have done and did not get photos of was upgrade the suspension. I got a shock and spring set (kyb shocks and M2 springs?) off of ebay. I also replaced the tie rods, upper control arms and ball joints. Now wonder my car felt so loose! I install my fuel pump, I wish there was an easier way but at least there was no fuel in the tank.

Thats where things stand as of now. Now Im going to start hooking up all coolant and vacuum lines. Hopefully it wont take to long to figure out. I have a few diagrams to help me since the IM is different.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I'm stomped. I have come this far and everything is together. I can not get this thing to start at all. I have checked timing 3 times. It is getting spark. Its the same dizzy that came with the car when I got it meaning I have not opened it up or changed the coils. Im pretty sure that there is no issue with having a B1 dizzy on an A6 head is there?
The fuel has been in the car sitting for 7 months. It was pretty much on E though so I put in 2 gallons of premium gas and some fuel system cleaner. New walbro primes so i dont think there is an issue there. Fuel is getting to the fuel rail. I did by some starter fluid and sprayed it into the intake manifold and it sounded like it wanted to start but it did not. Seeing as it was only a few squirts of spray I wouldnt expect to fully start but its the most Ive gotten out of the car. Im assuming there is a fuel issue. I have a FPR without a gauge now but I should get one in this week that has a gauge that is also adjustable. I have also gotten a few back fires out of it but no start. ANY IDEAS?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Are you absolutely sure the timing is right? If so, then it sounds like fuel.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Switch your plug wires around on the dizzy. Had the same issues when I went from F22B2 to F23A1 since the firing order is different in the dizzys between the in VTEC and non VTEC cars.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like mechanical timing is off. Do a compression test to make sure the numbers are consistent.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did a compression test and I got 180 lbs on all four cylinders so im good there. I will retime it again but I guess after Chrisnick mentioned and doing some research Im curious as to if the distributor is my issue. Im using the F22b1 dizzy which is vtec dizzy when I should be using the f22ax since its an (a6) non vtec head.

Another possible issue is that Im using an F22B1 timing belt. Didnt think it would be an issue and I had replaced the belt not too long ago when I had the vtec on there. Apparently the B1 TB is a tad be longer that the A6. Is this correct? Im assuming this would throw off my timing?

Last edited by 5th Gen JB; 10-08-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use an A6 timing belt-hopefully no valves are now smashed. You're correct in your assumption that the VTEC timing belts are longer. Change your plug wires position on the distributor.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright so I put on the A6 timing belt and tested the injectors which seem to be working fine. I turned it over. Again nothing. Then I sprayed starting fluid in the IM and started and actually turned over and ran for two seconds then stopped.

I also primed out some fuel which was dark as tea. I did that until I got clear but still no start. Starts fine with starting fluid but not on it's own. I have 650 injectors just FYI. Not sure what else to do except drain the tank or changed the fuel filter. I'm also building up 42lbs pressure so I have fuel pressure.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a thought. You have 650 injectors. Do you have some temporary map in the ECU that is compatible with injectors of that size?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fitz Williams
Just a thought. You have 650 injectors. Do you have some temporary map in the ECU that is compatible with injectors of that size?
.... I don't. I thought about trying different injectors.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have a stock ECU, with no mods, it will never start with 650 injectors.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fitz Williams
If you have a stock ECU, with no mods, it will never start with 650 injectors.
I have an S300, just no map for it right now
Old 10-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, switched out the 650 injectors back to stock and the injectors dont even spray. Im getting like 44lbs of pressure nothing out of the injectors. Its frustrating. I'm using the hondata ECU. But when I switch to the stock ECU i get the same results. Again, when I spray ether it starts and runs fine until it burnt off. Any other ideas??

Here might be something else. I have an H23 IM on and f22a6 head. There is an extra connector with the injectors which I understand to be the FIA (fuel injection air) solenoid. Its not plug to anything could that be an issue that may need to be rewired some how?

Last edited by 5th Gen JB; 10-28-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5th Gen JB
I think i would notice if i was wasting 700 dollars, one. Two, just because you CAN boost on stock internals doesn't mean that "I" want to. I would much rather spend my money to make my setup more reliable because pulling motors can get a little old. Besides i want to get the best results i can and still drive it daily. I dont want to limit myself to 6 to 8 lbs or of boost like most guys are running on stock internals (depending on the size of their turbo). Assuming you are in a civic im sure you aren't running an F series and with that being said i have done my research and continue to research my motor and that is exactly why "I" decided to go with MY setup. Hey but thanks man, i did know stock internals hold up pretty well when boosting.

Removing the variables of the game, results in less chance for loss. I agree with your work, I did the same with my build. Sure someones buddies grandmas uncle did it for three years without issues. But hell you dont hear anyone bragging about how their f22 lasted ten minutes under boost do you? Keep up the work buddy
Old 11-01-2014, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by accordturb96

Removing the variables of the game, results in less chance for loss. I agree with your work, I did the same with my build. Sure someones buddies grandmas uncle did it for three years without issues. But hell you dont hear anyone bragging about how their f22 lasted ten minutes under boost do you? Keep up the work buddy
I'm trying. Thanks a lot bud!
Old 11-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got it started!!!! It was too advanced and all I did was set the dizzy to the middle.
Here she is started:

Quick Reply: F22b1 Turbo Build