Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

F20b swap help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F20b swap help!

Hey, I'm looking into doing a full F20b swap into my 95 accord wagon lx 5 speed. Just wondering what all needs to be done to it. I don't need to worry about emissions where I am located because anything older than 96 is emissions free. I've looked up other threads but they all seem to make you have to do things because of emissions. Any help is appreciated!
I may boost in the future but for now I'm just looking to do the usual mods like i/h/e etc... thanks again!
Old 01-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: F20b swap help!

You can use all of the 5g Accord mounts for the F20B. Stock F20B(all bluetops, actually H23A included) use a driver side post mount different from the USDM H22 stuff. It just so happens that the 5g Accord mounts are a perfect fit. You will need to swap the stud out of the driver side mount bracket though. It's slightly too long.

Axles. Use your axles and intermediate shaft off the F22.

Dizzy. LX means external coil. Get an OBD1 external coil H22 dizzy.

Wiring. You may need to extend some wires but it's definitely not difficult. Will have to run a wire to the VTEC solenoid. Since it's a JDM motor, you either need Hondata/Neptune that allow the VTEC solenoid oil pressure switch to be disabled, or you need to swap to a USDM H22 VTEC solenoid.

ECU. There is no USDM OBD1 equivalent for the F20B. You need a chippable ECU and a basemap/tune.

That's about it. Pretty simple swap. Manual F20B>>>>Auto F20B. Manual has Type S cams and valvetrain, bigger throttle body. Auto F20B doesn't have those and makes less power and is less reliable during high rpm operation. If you're getting a full manual swap, it's a good idea to do a clutch and timing belt/tensioner while it's out of the car. F20B timing belts were never sold in the US, Hmotorsonline.com does sell them however.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-09-2016, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
You can use all of the 5g Accord mounts for the F20B. Stock F20B(all bluetops, actually H23A included) use a driver side post mount different from the USDM H22 stuff. It just so happens that the 5g Accord mounts are a perfect fit. You will need to swap the stud out of the driver side mount bracket though. It's slightly too long.

Axles. Use your axles and intermediate shaft off the F22.

Dizzy. LX means external coil. Get an OBD1 external coil H22 dizzy.

Wiring. You may need to extend some wires but it's definitely not difficult. Will have to run a wire to the VTEC solenoid. Since it's a JDM motor, you either need Hondata/Neptune that allow the VTEC solenoid oil pressure switch to be disabled, or you need to swap to a USDM H22 VTEC solenoid.

ECU. There is no USDM OBD1 equivalent for the F20B. You need a chippable ECU and a basemap/tune.

That's about it. Pretty simple swap. Manual F20B>>>>Auto F20B. Manual has Type S cams and valvetrain, bigger throttle body. Auto F20B doesn't have those and makes less power and is less reliable during high rpm operation. If you're getting a full manual swap, it's a good idea to do a clutch and timing belt/tensioner while it's out of the car. F20B timing belts were never sold in the US, Hmotorsonline.com does sell them however.
Oh ya definitely doing the complete manual swap. I can get for around $1300.
Is a phearbale ecu any good? They do them for what I'm doing.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Yeah. They will have what you need. Just be sure to tell them everything about your setup so that they can make the basemap as close as possible to what you need. And even then DO NOT consider it a final tune. I have seen 2 all motor cars in my area running Phearable "premium basemaps" that have busted ringlands because of incorrect calibration. Personally, I would go with Xenocron instead. Chris Harris is a great dude and really knows his stuff.

I forgot to mention, you will also need to swap pins A6 and A11 at the ecu plug because only civic/integra ecus are chippable and they have the pins in opposite spots compared to the Accords of this generation. Good luck & have fun.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
Yeah. They will have what you need. Just be sure to tell them everything about your setup so that they can make the basemap as close as possible to what you need. And even then DO NOT consider it a final tune. I have seen 2 all motor cars in my area running Phearable "premium basemaps" that have busted ringlands because of incorrect calibration. Personally, I would go with Xenocron instead. Chris Harris is a great dude and really knows his stuff.

I forgot to mention, you will also need to swap pins A6 and A11 at the ecu plug because only civic/integra ecus are chippable and they have the pins in opposite spots compared to the Accords of this generation. Good luck & have fun.
Alright man I'll look into them, thanks a lot for the info