Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Engine cooling fan problem please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Engine cooling fan problem please help!

so my right fan (the fan facing directly on the headers) never works ... my left one works but after i turn off my car it stays on for a very long time to cool the engine .. i think it does this because the other fan doesnt work and cant cool it well .... and my dad said he bought a new fan and it still dont work ... i got 1 from a pull a part yesterday and put it in , checked the cooling fan relay and fuse ... and nothing .. idk why it wont work ... any help please??
Old 06-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine cooling fan problem please help!

A little help....what year is this, what engine.

Then, I always refer to a car as you sit in it (Left Hand Drive). So is this the left/drivers side fan or the right/pass side fan.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

97 accord SE
f22b2 sohc 2.2
left hand drive so its the left hand fan .
Old 06-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then that is the condensor fan. Check for power coming into the motor. Then check the condensor fan realy, right by the compressor relay-NOT in the underhood fuse panel. In your pic, its location is pointed out. Then there are the fuses....again you are looking/testing the condensor fan circut.....and you did put 12v directly to the motor and it works, correct...sorry, have to ask.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i already checked all the inside under drivers side fuse box too they are all good ...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a 15 amp fuse in the under hood fuse panel for the condensor fan, check it. Then is power is coming out of that, check the relay.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your car has a radiator fan timer on the passenger side under the dash. If this is having problems it may cause the passenger side fan to stay on after turning off the car for an extended period of time. The fan on the driver's side should only be on when your AC is on.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

94dx- not sure what you have, assume a 94....BOTH fans should run when the car is on and gets to temp. BOTH fans should run when the AC is on. Only ONE runs when the car is off and thermo b gets to around 217* (going on memory with the temp).

So if you only have one running when the AC is on, you have an issue as well.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i rechecked both inside and under hood fuses they are all good so idk why the fan wont work ...
Old 06-05-2011, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Then that is the condensor fan. Check for power coming into the motor. Then check the condensor fan realy, right by the compressor relay-NOT in the underhood fuse panel. In your pic, its location is pointed out. Then there are the fuses....again you are looking/testing the condensor fan circut.....and you did put 12v directly to the motor and it works, correct...sorry, have to ask.
That is one of the four things suggested to test or verify. What did the other three show?

Power into the motor,,,no answer

Condensor fan relay test,,,no answer

Fuses, so they're are good.

Hot wire motor, just to be sure,,,,,no answer.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is one of the four things suggested to test or verify. What did the other three show?

Power into the motor,,,no answer

Condensor fan relay test,,,no answer

Fuses, so they're are good.

Hot wire motor, just to be sure,,,,,no answer.
power into motor? what do you mean by that??
condensor fan relay i checked both under hood fuse box and the two relays that go out of that fan with extra ones i have.

hot wire motor? what do you mean??
Old 06-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i tried everything and i cant find what the problem is why the AC fan wont work....
Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put 12v to the motor, jump wires from the bat to the connector going into the motor.....does it spin?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Put 12v to the motor, jump wires from the bat to the connector going into the motor.....does it spin?
into the fan motor? the battery? how do i do that? and how would i make it so 12v exactly go in?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by elliascool
into the fan motor? the battery? how do i do that? and how would i make it so 12v exactly go in?
ok nvm i wired it from the battery myself into the conector and the fan turned on perfectly!!! but idk why it dont work ever , not when i turn on AC which has never gave cold air either .. my dad said there was a freon leak and it need freon now but would that stop the fan from working? and doesnt it have to turn on at a certain temp to cool engine too? not just when u turn on ac or what?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i checked the relays with a bunch of other extra ones i have cuz idk how to hook it up n test the 4 pins... i try to hook it up with a wires from battery and the continuity checker but idk if i did it right or wat cuz the sound check thing from the continuity checker never beeped from any of the relays even the extras , even other relays that ik work .. so idk
Old 06-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i checked the relays with a bunch of other extra ones i have cuz idk how to hook it up n test the 4 pins... i try to hook it up with a wires from battery and the continuity checker but idk if i did it right or wat cuz the sound check thing from the continuity checker never beeped from any of the relays even the extras , even other relays that ik work .. so idk
Elliascool, Do you have a service manual? If Not there are down loadable ones on the net for free w/ a simple google search. Do you have an Ohm Meter? These are basic tools you need to work on your problem a Digital Ohm Meter can be bought @ wally world for less than $20. This way you won't be guessing.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jmb106jr
Elliascool, Do you have a service manual? If Not there are down loadable ones on the net for free w/ a simple google search. Do you have an Ohm Meter? These are basic tools you need to work on your problem a Digital Ohm Meter can be bought @ wally world for less than $20. This way you won't be guessing.
theres nothing i can find on why it wont work in the manual and yes i have one of those meters
Old 06-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In the manual there is directions on how to diagnosis problems w/ the fans it will lead you to your problem.I mean you no disrespect, but do you know how to use the Ohm meter you will need this tool.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In the manual there is directions on how to diagnosis problems w/ the fans it will lead you to your problem.I mean you no disrespect, but do you know how to use the Ohm meter you will need this tool.
i looked in the diagnose problems theres nothing on the fans not running and in the book i looked on every page there was only a install and check on radiator fan not ac condenser fan ....
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok nvm i wired it from the battery myself into the conector and the fan turned on perfectly!!! but idk why it dont work ever , not when i turn on AC which has never gave cold air either .. my dad said there was a freon leak and it need freon now but would that stop the fan from working? and doesnt it have to turn on at a certain temp to cool engine too? not just when u turn on ac or what?

still dont know why it wont work need some help please!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If memory serves me right the diagnostic flow chart for the condenser fan is in the A/C section of the repair manual.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If memory serves me right the diagnostic flow chart for the condenser fan is in the A/C section of the repair manual.
there is no AC section on why the ac condensor fan dont work , there is only a radiator fan part in the book the ac has half a page saying nothing but its against the law to use refrigerant and put it in yourself just says to go to a certified person and only talks about the ac refrigerant laws ! THATS ALL! NOTHING ABOUT THE FAN OR TROUBLESHOOT ON WHY FAN DONT WORK OR ANYTHING ELSE ON AC!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok my bad, look in Electrical then Subsection Air Conditioning, then look for Troubleshooting, the Flow charts are there. Follow them it will lead you to your problem.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok my bad, look in Electrical then Subsection Air Conditioning, then look for Troubleshooting, the Flow charts are there. Follow them it will lead you to your problem.
uhm idk what book ur talking about i got
this stupid
Chilton =honda accord/prelude 1996-00

Quick Reply: Engine cooling fan problem please help!