Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

ecu is chipped but no vtec?

Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu is chipped but no vtec?

I have a jdm h23a bluetop and the vtec solinoid only has one wire for vtec so I wired it straight to my ecu jumper. My car is a 96 accord lx and my ecu is a chipped p28 that eliminates knock, pressure switch, and the iab. How would I ground the solenoid? Should I just put a wire on the solenoid and to the Trans? Oil pressure is good, solenoid clicks and not clogged. Engine was at operating temp when ran,

No pressure switch.
tried 2 different ecu's. one p72 and p13. still no vtec. both ecus came from other cars that vtec was engaging.
oil level was full. 5w30 mobil1 fullsenthetic
grounded the solinoid to the frame And still nothing.
Grounded d6 nothing
oil. pressure guage installed and at operating temp. wheni give her the guage reads up to 90 psi
Is there something im missing?

Last edited by superspadez; 11-30-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: more details
Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ecu is chipped but no vtec?

And I've already tried putting a6 with d6. Nothing happens
Old 11-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts

Are you sure that the pressure switch function has been disabled on the ROM using the tuning software? All the ECU's you are trying require the VTEC pressure switch for VTEC to function properly. Unless the ROM is altered to ignore it.

Does your check engine light work and if it does is it on?

The single wire VTEC solenoid is grounded through the engine itself there is no need to add a ground wire.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

correct me if im wrong Its been a while for me, but isn't it a4 an d6. also if your check engine light is on it might be because of pins a11 and a6 need to be switched on the harness. The 94-97 accord are one of the only models that have them switched, if I remember correctly its the iacv and the map sensor, its been about 5 years since i've been in to the hondas. one more thing maybe the oil pressure sensor wires might be switched the wrong one grounded.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the VTEC solenoid goes to A4.......

Actually it's only the OBD1 Accords that require A6 and A11 to be switched. Going from OBD2 to OBD1 requires a different conversion harness with other wire swaps as well.

H23A VTEC doesn't run an oil pressure switch.... this could be an issue if you use a USDM ECU that is looking for one though....
Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would wire the VTEC wire straight to the ECU. Then go from there.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nus_dogg
I would wire the VTEC wire straight to the ECU. Then go from there.
The vtec is wired straight to the ecu as of now.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Are you sure that the pressure switch function has been disabled on the ROM using the tuning software? All the ECU's you are trying require the VTEC pressure switch for VTEC to function properly. Unless the ROM is altered to ignore it.

Does your check engine light work and if it does is it on?

The single wire VTEC solenoid is grounded through the engine itself there is no need to add a ground wire.
Yes the check liight works. And the ecu im runing now has the pressure switch, iab and knock disabled.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlUAc
correct me if im wrong Its been a while for me, but isn't it a4 an d6. also if your check engine light is on it might be because of pins a11 and a6 need to be switched on the harness. The 94-97 accord are one of the only models that have them switched, if I remember correctly its the iacv and the map sensor, its been about 5 years since i've been in to the hondas. one more thing maybe the oil pressure sensor wires might be switched the wrong one grounded.
Ive tried a4 and d6. It made it slower and no vtec lol. I have a mech oil pressure guage hooked up to it. And have that oil press wire just chillin there. Would i need to ground it?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually it's only the OBD1 Accords that require A6 and A11 to be switched. Going from OBD2 to OBD1 requires a different conversion harness with other wire swaps as well.

H23A VTEC doesn't run an oil pressure switch.... this could be an issue if you use a USDM ECU that is looking for one though....

Well my ecu disables it so i dont think it should be looking for it...is the 96 accor harness obd1??? I wthe reason i got this swap was because i thought it was obd2 .....then had to rewire almot everythin lol. So for the a6 and a11 pins, y do they need to be swithed? Do i just go and swap the around?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And another thing. When i switch out the pins a6 and a11 do i do this on my harnes or the jumper harness? Jwjwjwjw. Or does it not matter?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just run it correctly. It's not a big deal unless you don't have a vtec pressure switch. Get it running with the p13 and then if you want you know everything mechanical is good and you can put the tunable ecu on it. It's never a good idea to disable the iab's. You need them for low end torque.

Be that as it may, I assume you're using an obd1 ecu with an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness. You will run the vtec solenoid to A4 at the ecu connector. It doesn't matter which side of the harness you put it on as long as it goes to pin A4 of the ecu. Then you run one side of the vtec pressure switch to D6 at the ecu and the other side to ground, probably thermostat housing. If you don't have a vtec pressure switch you should be able to run the wire from D6 straight to ground. A4 doesn't go to ground.

You won't need to swap pins A6 and A11 as Ghost said since you were originally obd2.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Just run it correctly. It's not a big deal unless you don't have a vtec pressure switch. Get it running with the p13 and then if you want you know everything mechanical is good and you can put the tunable ecu on it. It's never a good idea to disable the iab's. You need them for low end torque.

Be that as it may, I assume you're using an obd1 ecu with an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness. You will run the vtec solenoid to A4 at the ecu connector. It doesn't matter which side of the harness you put it on as long as it goes to pin A4 of the ecu. Then you run one side of the vtec pressure switch to D6 at the ecu and the other side to ground, probably thermostat housing. If you don't have a vtec pressure switch you should be able to run the wire from D6 straight to ground. A4 doesn't go to ground.

You won't need to swap pins A6 and A11 as Ghost said since you were originally obd2.
My car did not have vtec at all causr it was an lx model. So no pressure switch? And the d6 pin. Can i just cut it by the ecu and just ground it.? Caus i dont know where else to do it? And anothr thing, i have 3 wire iavc and i wired 2 of the matching colors together and left the 3rd wire chillin there. Should i just ground it? Or do i need an obd1 itm
Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yes, you can cut it at the harness and run it to ground. That should work.

I'm actually not sure how you should wire up the 3 wire iacv. From what I've searched it doesn't appear that it will work with that obd1 ecu. It would be best to source a h22 2 wire iacv.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm actually not sure how you should wire up the 3 wire iacv. From what I've searched it doesn't appear that it will work with that obd1 ecu. It would be best to source a h22 2 wire iacv.
Mmmm ok. Ill give that a try.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i grounded d6......nothing.......omg i just want to throw my **** away!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Are you using the p13 ? If vtec isn't working it should throw either a code 21 or code 22.

Use the p13 until you get the car running properly. Double check your pins. You probably think you're on the right pin, but it's not the right one.

btw, trust me I've been where you are, just stay with it. I was saying the same **** during my swap. It's going to be well worth it.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you using the p13 ? If vtec isn't working it should throw either a code 21 or code 22.

Use the p13 until you get the car running properly. Double check your pins. You probably think you're on the right pin, but it's not the right one.

btw, trust me I've been where you are, just stay with it. I was saying the same **** during my swap. It's going to be well worth it.
If i use the p13 then ill have to wire up the iab, and find a knock sensor.....oh well might as well since i cant get ivtec to engage....but im positive i have the right pins in. I checked it over 5-6 times in one day. And im positive its all right. But ill recheck. And ill see how it goes.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wiring up a knock sensor will be more of a pain than it's worth. The ECU will lock ignition timing if the knock is not hooked up properly.

You need to verify the conversion harness that you have and make sure there are no wires mixed up. Verify that the ECU is chipped properly. Also make sure that the tune and ECU that you are using has VTEC enabled and the pressure switch is disabled. If you can, Crome does not have the option to disable VTPS so you will have to do the pressure switch hack.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wiring up a knock sensor will be more of a pain than it's worth. The ECU will lock ignition timing if the knock is not hooked up properly.

You need to verify the conversion harness that you have and make sure there are no wires mixed up. Verify that the ECU is chipped properly. Also make sure that the tune and ECU that you are using has VTEC enabled and the pressure switch is disabled. If you can, Crome does not have the option to disable VTPS so you will have to do the pressure switch hack.

**** i will do the vtp hack cause i grounded it and nothing. if i remember correclty doesnt the p28 bypass the knock??? i got my ecu from hamotorsports.com and have an h22 base map and i heard a lot of good stuff about them. i've even tried this ecu on a two other cars after mine and vtec engages. a;lsdkfj;lsdkfja;lsdkfj;alsdkfjalsdkfads..
Old 11-22-2012, 05:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If you grounded it and you're still not getting vtec then the problem is your wiring, or low oil pressure...ie dented oil pan or low oil. All that happens with the vtec pressure switch is that when oil pressure is enough it will give continuity on that switch, which will run continuity from the ecu to ground.

Running knock sensor wire is easy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-AWG-Teflo...item20cd8af64f

Just need that and a knock sensor connector from any h23a engine(usually easier to find than h22a engine at junkyard).

You just attach the wire to the connector and the other side to your harness with a heatshrink type of connector to make it legit. Then cut back a little bit of the shielded portion on the ecu end and put a connector on that and some wire on the other side and run that to ground to ground the shielded wire.

Or you can buy a complete kit here which includes iab's for $5.00 more...

http://axidworks.com/Axid%20Works%20...ss%20Extension

There's never any reason to run a chipped ecu on an engine that's completely stock. The knock sensor is there to help you when you get a bad tank of gas.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you grounded it and you're still not getting vtec then the problem is your wiring, or low oil pressure...ie dented oil pan or low oil. All that happens with the vtec pressure switch is that when oil pressure is enough it will give continuity on that switch, which will run continuity from the ecu to ground.

Running knock sensor wire is easy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-AWG-Teflo...item20cd8af64f

Just need that and a knock sensor connector from any h23a engine(usually easier to find than h22a engine at junkyard).

a chipped p28 was cheaper then a p13 when i was looking at the time so thats why i got it.

You just attach the wire to the connector and the other side to your harness with a heatshrink type of connector to make it legit. Then cut back a little bit of the shielded portion on the ecu end and put a connector on that and some wire on the other side and run that to ground to ground the shielded wire.

Or you can buy a complete kit here which includes iab's for $5.00 more...

http://axidworks.com/Axid%20Works%20...ss%20Extension

There's never any reason to run a chipped ecu on an engine that's completely stock. The knock sensor is there to help you when you get a bad tank of gas.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the chipped p28 was cheaper then the p13 and p72 when i was looking for one. thats y i got it.