Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   Driverside automatic seatbelt stoped working ! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/driverside-automatic-seatbelt-stoped-working-2302986/)

mikiedaddi 05-19-2008 09:12 AM

Driverside automatic seatbelt stoped working ! 1990 Accord LX

I tried pulling it up to the soulder, it goes back when you open the door and stays there. It will not go to the shoulder when you turn the key on.

Modified by mikiedaddi at 10:48 AM 5/19/2008

hondadude 05-19-2008 04:53 PM

Re: Driverside automatic seatbelt stoped working ! 1990 Accord LX (mikiedaddi)

Head to the local Honda dealership;
the seat belt is unsafe and therefore covered under Warranty.
If the service writer gives ya any lip about charging you, call American Honda Customer Care 1-800-999-1009

professorman 05-20-2008 08:52 AM

Re: Driverside automatic seatbelt stoped working ! 1990 Accord LX (hondadude)

There is lifetime warranty on seatbelts? I didnt know that. His car must be 1990 or less to have the automatic seatbelt, correct?

mikiedaddi 05-20-2008 11:43 AM

Re: Driverside automatic seatbelt stoped working ! 1990 Accord LX (professorman)

Yes: It's a 1990 Honda Accord LX . THANKS FOR THE INFO

Mr Yamada 05-20-2008 11:46 AM

Re: Driverside automatic seatbelt stoped working ! 1990 Accord LX (professorman)

1990 & 1991 are the years with automatic restraining seat belts

got.rice? 11-18-2009 11:51 PM

Re: Driverside automatic seatbelt stoped working !

I have a 91 honda accord and tonight first my passenger one stopped working, then it started to work and my drivers side stopped, now neither of them work. So if I go to a honda dealership they have to replace them. This is really a crappy time, i have no money at all.

redbull-1 11-19-2009 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by got.rice? (Post 40686834)
I have a 91 honda accord and tonight first my passenger one stopped working, then it started to work and my drivers side stopped, now neither of them work. So if I go to a honda dealership they have to replace them. This is really a crappy time, i have no money at all.

As long as you didn't cut them, etc., Honda will cover the seat belts. Usually, you go in to let them see, they will then schedule an appointment with you and order the parts.

craiger28 11-19-2009 12:18 PM

Yes, I have had the dealer replace many of these belts being a car dealer myself and purchasing lots of these vehicles with bad seat belts. I believe it was late 1990 or early 1991 that there was a major lawsuit because a person was decapitated by one of these types of belts. They probably didn't use the lap belt along with it.

got.rice? 11-21-2009 07:18 PM

The belts are covered but the motor isn't, i called that 1-800 number to american honda so the only thing covered is where the belt clips in.

TheMuffinMan 11-21-2009 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by got.rice? (Post 40715011)
The belts are covered but the motor isn't, i called that 1-800 number to american honda so the only thing covered is where the belt clips in.

No, if it is a safety issue ie the belt is not retracting/moving/restraining you then it is covered.

If there is neglect involved on the owner's part (scissors/cuts/ripping) then it's not covered by the warranty.

ricebike 11-22-2009 06:49 AM

i agree w/ muffinman

other manufacturers of automotive belts are also covered for the lifetime of the owner/vehicle i.e. nissan,

heck, that's why newer vehicles stopped using motorized passive seatbelts and went back to regular do-it-yourself belts

sethiol 01-21-2010 07:26 PM

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I just wanted to hear it one more time. I also have a 90 Honda Accord with the Driverside automatic seatbelt that stopped working. It just seems to good to be true that we can take our cars to Honda and have this repaired under warranty.

91lx 01-22-2010 04:46 PM

As to why they don't use the motorized belts anymore, the main reason is the feds pulled their heads out of their arses and stopped requiring it. Also, they are more expensive and NOBODY likes them.

Just another example of the fed. government being idiots with regulations.

Now let's see if i have this right.

I can bring my 19 year old accord with a passenger side belt that runs back and forth on it's own, to the dealer and they'll fix it on their dime?

It acts like a bad door switch, but, the dash door open indicator light works perfectly which tells me the switch works.

TheMuffinMan 01-23-2010 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by 91lx (Post 41331867)
As to why they don't use the motorized belts anymore, the main reason is the feds pulled their heads out of their arses and stopped requiring it. Also, they are more expensive and NOBODY likes them.

Just another example of the fed. government being idiots with regulations.

Now let's see if i have this right.

I can bring my 19 year old accord with a passenger side belt that runs back and forth on it's own, to the dealer and they'll fix it on their dime?

It acts like a bad door switch, but, the dash door open indicator light works perfectly which tells me the switch works.

They had the right thought since seatbelt related deaths are pretty big.

And if after the 20th time of reading it you can't determine what they'll do here it is again.

If it is a safety issue that is NOT related to abuse then it is covered for the usable lifetime of the car. So if while driving it moves away from your body and then towards, just randomly back and forth. And it is a seatbelt issue NOT a door issue then it is covered. You can easily call American Honda.

rrandol5 03-31-2011 01:05 PM

I really wish I could find any other answer to this question than "It's covered by warranty!" It's not. Maybe it is supposed to be but I've called two dealerships and American Honda and both of them have told me that this issue is NOT covered by the warranty. I wish it was. But since it's not, it would be SUPREMELY helpful if someone actually had the information on how to fix it.

TheMuffinMan 03-31-2011 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by rrandol5 (Post 44981995)
I really wish I could find any other answer to this question than "It's covered by warranty!" It's not. Maybe it is supposed to be but I've called two dealerships and American Honda and both of them have told me that this issue is NOT covered by the warranty. I wish it was. But since it's not, it would be SUPREMELY helpful if someone actually had the information on how to fix it.

1) You have a Civic (per profile), you are in the Accord section
2) You do not mention what your problem is at all
3) You do not mention what caused the problem

Also the dealership and Honda of America may have found you negligent in the damage - therefore not required to cover it. You also have a 21 year old vehicle with however many thousands of miles which Honda may now consider outside of the lifetime of the car. In addition to that you make no mention of any modifications done to the vehicle - if it was heavily modified and you messed with the seat belts (removed them or whatever) they may also deny it because of tampering. There are a lot of factors.

TheMuffinMan 03-31-2011 02:17 PM

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/honda-lifetime-seat-belt-limited-warranty-2201139/

Has some success stories about it.

Also this document covers the actual statement from Honda.....

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...303O00300A.pdf

Originally Posted by that document
Seat Belt Limited Warranty - a seat belt that fails to function properly is covered for the useful life of the vehicle

phootbag 03-31-2011 03:42 PM

Our District Rep said something to the effect of; Automatic seatbelts are covered. If a bad position switch causes the seatbelt to not function properly, it is covered. If the failure is caused by the consumer, it is not covered.

We replace control units that fail. A faulty control unit keeps the seatbelt from functioning properly. Etc.

As far as useful life goes, we haven't encountered that yet. And, that is considering we've seen vehicles with nearly half a million miles on them.

Nicefeet 03-31-2011 05:07 PM

http://mustardcat.brinkster.net/p3g/...rantybelts.pdf

Savvi 01-24-2012 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by got.rice? (Post 40715011)
The belts are covered but the motor isn't, i called that 1-800 number to American Honda so the only thing covered is where the belt clips in.

I have a 91 Honda accord. My regional Honda case manager(in NC) said that the belts and the clips were covered because they cover all safety issues under the lifetime warranty. I proceeded to tell her that the belts and clips were in good functioning condition but the driver side seat belt wouldn't retract. She replied "we may have replaced some of those in the past but your car has 200k on it so we wouldn't be willing to do that as a courtesy, since it is not a strap or clip". I don't see the sense in any of that. She contradicts herself, the seat belt is covered for any safety issues. Well the seat belt doesn't even make it to the shoulder to do its job. And who cares how many miles it has on it "LIFETIME WARRANTY"!! lady. Its not helping that the dealership i went to tried to charge me $829 for just parts(motor & guide rail). HONDA might as well of told me the cars totaled. I'm getting a second opinion and maybe a third. Oh and if you get your car looked at don't let them charge you the 52 dollars for their mechanic to look at it (this price may vary haha). When i told them i was calling Cooperate they dropped the fees. almost admitting that the repair was under warranty in my opinion.

FAQ : Does anyone know where to find the actual warranty PDF 91 Honda Accord EX???????
Here it is. I'm going to flash this next time i go for to a Honda dealership. http://mustardcat.brinkster.net/p3g/...rantybelts.pdf courtesy of Nicefeet

ricebike 01-25-2012 10:43 PM

well, that sucks big time!

good thing in the 240sx arena, a guy actually went through h377 and back to validate that they were still covered in the "LIFETIME WARRANTY"

http://forums.nicoclub.com/broken-se...e-t405244.html

-------------------------------

do you know how to do the manual over-ride? in case you checked the fuse first and it was OK?

Owner's manual say that 'if the seat belt motor" does not come on after changing the fuses...then move the seat belt mechanism manually to the back and 'usefull' position.

My owners manual says there is a 'plastic plug' on the 'b' pillar at the bottom. You have to pry that 'plug' off and insert a tool, that came in my 'flat tire' tool box to manually pull the sealt belt mechanism to the back position.

The tool look like a 'torx' head screw driver with a 'push' on 'wheel' so you can wheel back the mechanism. I have seen both of these items in my 'flat tire' tool bag that came with the car.
I have a similar torx head tool in my glovebox still for my 89 nissan 240sx ~LoL

Savvi 01-26-2012 02:18 PM

Got a call from Jeff a "big dog" for Honda out in Calli. and he told me that honda does not cover the mechanical parts of the seat belt after 20 years but as a courtesy they would be willing to cover a percent of the $1000 dollars i was quoted to get it fixed at Auto Park Honda in N.C. When i asked why he would only give me a percent because the Honda service bulletin clearly states that the "bet/retractor mechanism or buckle" are covered under Lifetime Warranty(defect code L32/Labor op#854175) he said and i quote "If you continue to use that terminology i will have to part ways with you" in other words hang up. IS THAT HOW YOU TREAT CUSTOMERS. He refused to talk about the service bulletin(#92-012). So I am now waiting on a case manager to get back to me after they consult with Auto Park Honda about what percent will be covered. If this guy Jeff is going to help me at all I'm sure he will make it as minimal as possible. I think once i learn the percent they are willing to cover i am going to send all this to the local papers. A Lifetime warranty is a Lifetime warranty Jeff whether or not u want to talk about it. And remember Jeff a Honda employee was the one that showed me this Bulletin and printed it for me. So it is in your systems and you must see it too. SO IT DOES EXIST!!!!!

Lost Again 01-27-2012 04:57 PM

If you don't get the answer you need, try Leith. Then try the N&O, then maybe 5onyourside??????

ZDOG2KXX 08-25-2014 04:45 PM

So as far as the warranty goes, is it transferable from the original owner? Or does it matter?

holmesnmanny 08-25-2014 08:06 PM

It's covered for the life of the car.