Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

DOOR Lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOOR Lock problem

on my accord, the electrical door locks still work for the drivers side but the passenger door lock wont unlock/lock with the electric swithc. I have to manually lock the door?

Anyone ever experience this problem and know the solution? I have heard its a the door lock control relay but where is that located? It's not the actuator cause ive changed and checked the actuator and that still works, but there seems to be no power going to it. any hlep would be appreciated
Old 01-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DOOR Lock problem (EGPrelude)

The same thing happened to my car about six months ago, then shortly thereafter my other front door did the same thing.

I haven't fixed it yet, both can only be unlocked manually. The best I can think of is that there is a short somewhere, but I don't know where.

My car is a '99 sedan, what is yours?
Old 01-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine is actually a 5th gen 94 EX coupe

i think its a short in the relay, but i just dunno where the relay is. I havent exactly traced the door lock wires to where they lead but i was just trying ot see if anyone knew.

if i cant find it, ill prolly just wire up a relay to the power door lock from the drivers side door to work with the pass one

no heLP?
Old 01-20-2004, 07:34 AM

Default Re: (EGPrelude)

they have a built in feature to prevent you locking your keys in your car, you hav to hold the drivers handle open while you hit the button. is this what you are talking about?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:15 AM

Default Re: DOOR Lock problem (Heat)

Heat - try resetting your multiplex system. Set the intermittant
wiper control ring to a middle setting, and cycle the key on/off/on.
I know it sounds strange, but this does reset the multiplex (inter.
wipers, locks, windows etc are all controlled thru the multiplex
on '98-up Accords).

not sure if this helps the original poster or not....guess it couldn't hurt to try
Old 01-20-2004, 11:39 PM

What year do have? Do u still have a warrenty? Cause I just got my 98' fixed last week. The driver's door wouldn't lock or unlock with the switch or alarm, just manually or with the key. Anyway the dealership fixed mine for free. They said it was a door lock accuwaiter. I cant spell for shiz but you might be able to sound it out. It would have cost $150 thru the dealership.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Re: DOOR Lock problem (dojokevin)

This problem is too obvious. Lake stated above.. Im guessing your car is a 5th Gen and your power locks wont lock your driver's side without a key. Well.. I dont know how many times I have run across this problem from fellow 5th gen drivers. The way to lock your entire car is to open the door, get out, and hold the interior door handle open, hit the lock switch, and baddaboom. Now your car locks without key. I still use my key to lock on the outside because I am notorious for locking them in my car.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:22 AM

Default Re: DOOR Lock problem (DrunkNRacer)

Anyone heard of a problem where after locking your doors (in a 5th gen), the doors keep clicking to try to re-lock themselves? Seems like it might be an electrical-reltaed problem. Any fixes?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:58 AM

Default Re: DOOR Lock problem (vabchaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vabchaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone heard of a problem where after locking your doors (in a 5th gen), the doors keep clicking to try to re-lock themselves? Seems like it might be an electrical-reltaed problem. Any fixes?</TD></TR></TABLE> yeah my 97 accord did that and i thought my car was posessed, but it went away after i installed my alarm for some reason. i heard its a bad relay. the main door lock relay is behing your driver's side door panel underneath your mirror towards the front of the car. its a little black box with a harness plugged into it.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: DOOR Lock problem (brads94accord)

it does that when you try to lock it from inside the driver door with out holding the handle that is what me and drunknracer were refering too
Old 01-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DOOR Lock problem (brads94accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brads94accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> yeah my 97 accord did that and i thought my car was posessed, but it went away after i installed my alarm for some reason. i heard its a bad relay. the main door lock relay is behing your driver's side door panel underneath your mirror towards the front of the car. its a little black box with a harness plugged into it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This sounds more like an actuator problem. i heard many people have this on their 5th gens, just swap out the factory actuator with an aftermarket one (if you wanna save money), and problem solved
Old 01-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DOOR Lock problem (jweller)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1994AccordSiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they have a built in feature to prevent you locking your keys in your car, you hav to hold the drivers handle open while you hit the button. is this what you are talking about?</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrunkNRacer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This problem is too obvious. Lake stated above.. Im guessing your car is a 5th Gen and your power locks wont lock your driver's side without a key. Well.. I dont know how many times I have run across this problem from fellow 5th gen drivers. The way to lock your entire car is to open the door, get out, and hold the interior door handle open, hit the lock switch, and baddaboom. Now your car locks without key. I still use my key to lock on the outside because I am notorious for locking them in my car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the problem is not with the driver's side door, its with the pass one. i know of the safety feature of the driver's side door where you cant lock yourself out if the door is open, but my problem is with the passenger door

the passenger door seems not to be getting any power. the pass. door lock will not lock/unlock with the power lock feature. it has to be manually locked/unlocked. i was told it was soemthing with a relay that controls the power door locking system and i just wanted to know where this relay was?
Old 01-21-2004, 04:02 PM

check to seeif the wires are hooked up inside the pannel
Old 01-21-2004, 08:26 PM

Default Re: (blackaccord96)

i have a 98 accord sedan and i have the exact same problem. the pass door won't lock or unlock remotely or switch. i figure it was a short but i haven't gotten it fix yet. its weird though...the bitch would work for a few days then stop...then a few days later...pissin me off... but i have a friend that does alarms and stuff and he said its common and its REAL easy to fix...but he lives a hour away from school..
Old 01-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98silverex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98silverex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 98 accord sedan and i have the exact same problem. the pass door won't lock or unlock remotely or switch. i figure it was a short but i haven't gotten it fix yet. its weird though...the bitch would work for a few days then stop...then a few days later...pissin me off... but i have a friend that does alarms and stuff and he said its common and its REAL easy to fix...but he lives a hour away from school..</TD></TR></TABLE>

you think you could ask him for a solution?
Old 01-25-2004, 09:20 AM

i also have a 98 accord sedan...my left passenger door wont lock or unlock with the keyless entry, or the switch. I stripped the panels off the door and found the lock actuator(i think thats whats it called) or plain simply the motor. I opened the actuator and tried playing with it and put it back. I think thats where the problem is but im not certain for sure. Every blue moon the lock starts working for a lil bit, then doesnt work at all. Hmmm its wierd that theres a lot of us with this problem.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DOOR Lock problem (Djrockz415)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Djrockz415 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i also have a 98 accord sedan...my left passenger door wont lock or unlock with the keyless entry, or the switch. I stripped the panels off the door and found the lock actuator(i think thats whats it called) or plain simply the motor. I opened the actuator and tried playing with it and put it back. I think thats where the problem is but im not certain for sure. Every blue moon the lock starts working for a lil bit, then doesnt work at all. Hmmm its wierd that theres a lot of us with this problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can simply swap out your stock unit for an aftermarket one which roughly runs for $6-20. not too bad
Old 01-25-2004, 10:30 AM

99.9% of the time this is caused by faulty door lock actuator. I'm pretty sure there was a service bulletin explaining that there was an updated part to correct this issue.

No, this bulletin will not replace them for free if car is out of warranty. It was just an information bulletin to Honda dealerships.

Hope this helps everyone.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DOOR Lock problem (jweller)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heat - try resetting your multiplex system. Set the intermittant
wiper control ring to a middle setting, and cycle the key on/off/on.
I know it sounds strange, but this does reset the multiplex (inter.
wipers, locks, windows etc are all controlled thru the multiplex
on '98-up Accords).</TD></TR></TABLE>Just tried it, didn't work.

The lock actuator is inside the door panel, right?

For those of you with lock problems, did it start slowly and just get gradually worse until the locks wouldn't work with the remote entry or the lock/unlock switch, or did one day they just weren't working? My driver's side front door just started opening and closing weaker and weaker, until it wouldn't open, then the same thing happened to my passenger side. When I use remote entry or hit the lock/unlock switch on the doors (mine is a '99 LX sedan), I can see the front door locks jiggle, but there's not enough juice to open them (or close them). The back doors lock and unlock just fine still.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:48 AM

I had a similar problem with back door but it was the cold cause it was triggering the lock but the lock did not open so it was completely locked. Then after 3 or 4 days the temperature raised and the lock was working..
Old 06-25-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: DOOR Lock problem (hondatim)

Does someone know offhand where I can find this door lock actuator (part #)? I seem to be suffering from both problems. First was the multi-click of the locks, now my front passenger side door makes an awful groaning noise and won't lock/unlock with the switch.

Are there two actuators (one for each door?) Do both need to be replaced?

I searched the forums here for about an hour and nobody seems to name the part or #. I searched google and just ran across a dozen websites that all seem to lead to the same deadend.

any help would be greatly appreciated. oh yeah, the details. 9'7 Accord 2.2 4dr EX Sedan

in case anyone else needs this, I answered my own question. http://www.d-a-p.com/shop/scri...ry=66 $50 used.

Modified by msulazy at 1:37 PM 6/25/2004
Old 06-25-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Re: DOOR Lock problem (msulazy)

For all your power door problems, take them to my shop. I will give a price to fix.

http://www.doctorhonda.com

Ask for Robert or Kim.