Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Do I have a blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Do I have a blown head gasket?

lol I didn't know those were videos. After watching em I can't really tell if the car is warmed up or not. The car runs rich on a cold start and that's why there's extra white smoke. You need to take vids when the car is completely warmed up. But your compression test numbers seem fine I would guess ur engine is fine.

I've asked this many times now. Is your car running bad at all ?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
lol I didn't know those were videos. After watching em I can't really tell if the car is warmed up or not. The car runs rich on a cold start and that's why there's extra white smoke. You need to take vids when the car is completely warmed up. But your compression test numbers seem fine I would guess ur engine is fine.

I've asked this many times now. Is your car running bad at all ?
I haven't let the car run for more than 1 minute since a month ago with all these problems I've had. But when I do turn it on, it seems fine. I'm going to try and take another compression test. Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, when I pull up the little red tab on the radiator cap, the reservoir water makes bubbles. I know that isn't normal. I've cleaned the reservoir twice and it still gets brown slimy stuff or goo type of thing
Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Do this first. Pull your spark plugs and post pics of them. I've never heard of a compression test showing the same compression on every cylinder yet having a bad head gasket but I suppose it's possible.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Takes a few cranks to start . While it was running. I unplugged each wire by hand and they all changed in idle. I was able to see blue sparks . I also have and idling problem. Idle goes up and down. And I think the cranking a few times to start is the main relay
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ya I had it backwards. Blue spark is best. Orange is weak. Sounds good there. I'm curious what your spark plugs look like. If you have coolant leaking into the cylinder they will look the color of your coolant....ie blue or greenish. That spark plug wire check sounds good.

Regarding your idle, you need to check for vacuum leaks and check to see if your fitv needs to be tightened down.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya I had it backwards. Blue spark is best. Orange is weak. Sounds good there. I'm curious what your spark plugs look like. If you have coolant leaking into the cylinder they will look the color of your coolant....ie blue or greenish. That spark plug wire check sounds good.

Regarding your idle, you need to check for vacuum leaks and check to see if your fitv needs to be tightened down.
Went to check my fitv and the hoses ripped and found brown slush

Here's some piks

The nuts nuts on this don't want to loosen up, any tricks to this?

Crappy pik but you can see some brown in there.its the fitv

The other part the hose is connected to
Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any one know why this happened ?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

How does your radiator look ? That is either oil sludge in the cooling system or I suppose if you only ran tap water in your cooling system it could have corroded the radiator and/or hoses so bad that they corroded and turned into sludge.

For as long as you've owned the car have you added actual coolant or just plain tap water from your garden hose ?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How does your radiator look ? That is either oil sludge in the cooling system or I suppose if you only ran tap water in your cooling system it could have corroded the radiator and/or hoses so bad that they corroded and turned into sludge.

For as long as you've owned the car have you added actual coolant or just plain tap water from your garden hose ?
I've owned the car for about 5 months and have only drove it for a month or less. But yea I used tap water on it.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Somewhere in this thread there was a link or talk about using a block check/test. It will test for exhaust gases in the coolant system. I think the whole kit is ~$35 from az, 25 for the kit and 7 for the fluid. Some have stated that the rent the kit so all you have to do is buy the fluid.

The brwon stuff in the lines and housing could be from a cooling system that someone let go without proper care.....rust.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that brown **** is most likely rust, 50/50 coolant was used and the water that diluted the coolant started to rust the stuff. or atleast thats my guess.

spray a water hose threw the upper rad hose and let it flush out the lower to make sure you got all the crap out.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Your cooling system is a complete mess. I would replace all hoses, obviously those components above lol, your radiator, your heater core, and water pump. And then fill and drain the coolant a couple times without reusing the same coolant to try to get rid of the residual tap water/minerals that is threatening to destroy your engine.