Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Crank pulley bolt fell off, pulley still on. damage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank pulley bolt fell off, pulley still on. damage?

I recently had to replace the water pump on my 1990 honda accord ex 2.2. As you all know you its timing belt driven. I did the repairs myself. all of this took place about a month ago. yesterday my girlfriend went to drive my car and it started for several seconds, then died. I had to wait until daylight to inspect it. I checked for spark, none. Then realized if my cam isnt turning i wouldnt get spark (correct me if im wrong, im learning here). While i was removing the upper timing belt cover wondering if i broke my timing belt i dropped my wrench to the gravel below and when i crawled under the car to get it the crankshaft pulley bolt was laying next to my wrench. The pulley is still on the car because of the woodriff key but obv the car doesnt start. If the timing belt slipped off because the pulley shifted it would be similar problems as if the timing belt broke, thus a lot of damage to the car.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crank pulley bolt fell off, pulley still on. damage?

Well the only way to know for sure is to take it apart. i doubt the timing belt came off, when you removed the upper timing belt cover,did the belt still have tension or not.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Trial User

there is tension on the belt from the top. its still in the same spot on the pulley from when i put it on. I put the crank pulley bolt back in and tried starting the car (for kicks but probably not a great idea), it seemed to want to fire, even got a little bit of a backfire... how would this happen? is it just a timing issue now?
Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Jmb106jr;44709254 i doubt the timing belt came off[/QUOTE]

i agree, if the pulley is still on there, its pretty unlikely the timing was jeopardized. funny thing is...not long ago i was doing the same thing (changing my balancer) and after i got it back together, the car died right after that. It ended up being my distributor took a shiit on me, so maybe look into that?
Old 02-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take the time and take it apart and double check the timing. Make sure timing is properly set at TDC. Put it back together and make sure you torque the the crank pulley bolt to 181' lbs.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your fine if the plley didnt fall off i can garantee that tighten it back up and drive it. just torque it properly or use an impact gun.
see this many times
Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Brownjd
i agree, if the pulley is still on there, its pretty unlikely the timing was jeopardized. funny thing is...not long ago i was doing the same thing (changing my balancer) and after i got it back together, the car died right after that. It ended up being my distributor took a shiit on me, so maybe look into that?

This is kinda what im thinkin too. I dont have spark (tested by placing one of my pulled plugs against the block and turning it over before i knew about the crank pulley bolt) Im still gonna pull apart the front part of the engine to double check my timing belt and make sure its all ok. Is there a reason the distributor would go out while doing this type of work? I also had to do the alternator because it crapped out on my test drive after doing the water pump (the same thing happened on my brothers toyota, fixed the pump, the the alternator bit the dust) seems like everything goes at once....