Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Craftsman OR BluePoint

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craftsman OR BluePoint

which one do you prefer from the two listed.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:44 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For what?

Let's be more vague.

Craftsman Lingerie isn't exactly the most comfortable thing ever.

BluePoint beer isn't too bad
Old 04-11-2008, 05:03 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

I've never heard of BluePoint and a quick Google search turns up beer and food results. Further search results turn up stuff mentioning BluePoint and Snap-On together but not sure of the relationship.

But I will assume that in this case BluePoint is some tool manufacturer since you've mentioned Craftsman.

I prefer Craftsman...
-many local stores make it easy to buy/return tools.
-easy return policy.
-Craftsman Club has some good deals on some tools (used to be better when club days would have everything in the store on sale to club members, now it's just whats in the catalog).
-Lifetime warranty is very nice.
-tools are good quality

don't get me wrong, Snap-On tools are great but unless you are near a dealer location or have access to one of the trucks then it's not very appealing for you're average joe because it makes buying tools and returning warranty items a pain.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:10 AM
He knows where you live!

^^ warranty is only hand tools however

Though my dad did just buy an air compressor with an air wrench I plan on stealing from him.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:47 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheMuffinMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ warranty is only hand tools however </TD></TR></TABLE>

true.... One exception I can think of is the torque wrenches, they are only like a 1 year warranty.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (TouringAccord)

It depends on how often your going touse them. If its just at home every now and then, then Craftman can't be beat for the price. Bluepoint is just cheaper brand of Snap-On. And yes there is a HUGH quality diff. I personally only have and will use Snap-On or Mac tools. But I use the **** out of mine and I'm really hard on them. Plus it doesn't hurt working at a dealer to have access to both.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Working

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (Turbowa)

I prefer blue point. When you are using tools everyday the craftsman are not as comfortable and wear on your hands more.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (-RedneckDave-)

Craftsman may be better in this case. According to my snap-on dealer Blue point is a cheap chinese knock off used to lure would be buyers to Snap-on
Old 04-11-2008, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (DCFIVER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DCFIVER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Craftsman may be better in this case. According to my snap-on dealer Blue point is a cheap chinese knock off used to lure would be buyers to Snap-on</TD></TR></TABLE>
You nailed that right on the head.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbowa)

Depends on what you're buying. Blue-point wrenches are factory seconds off the snap-on line. the guy in the stall next to me just bought a blue-point toolcart which is the same as snap-on except has the blade type key, a bit thinner steel and trays and holders. I tried snap-on's air hammer and traded it back in for the blue-point one as it had more power.

But bottom line, Snap-on/Blue-Point &gt; Craftsman.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zombiesid1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheMuffinMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Though my dad did just buy an air compressor with an air wrench I plan on stealing from him.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahahah
always managing to make me laugh over HT
Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for not being specific but i just needed someone's recommendation oh which is more easier to work with as far as wrenches, breaker bards, ratchets go.

i really love my mac wrenches but they are too damn costly.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:32 PM
He knows where you live!

Top quality? Snap-On

Good quality w/ warranty ? Craftsman

I own a like 500 piece ratchet set from Craftsman that I absolutely love. In addition to my rolling tool cart/bench and a Craftsman jack/jackstands.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it seems like snap-on is on everyone's mind. but this thread was specifically craftsman vs bluepoint. i know they're both b-stock compared to snap-on but quality wise, which tools are tougher.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:33 AM

Default Re: (dleccord)

i have nothing but craftsman, creeper, toolbox, worklight, sockets, air compressor, bolt extractor. I have one blue point product and that's a multi meter from UTI!!!!!. But to get to point the craftsman is easier to deal with and there's always a sears in your local hood,`and i rarely see a snap on guy around when i need a certain tool at that precise moment.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Craftsman OR BluePoint (dleccord)

A few hit the nail on the head. If you run a shop, or use your tools a LOT, go with Snap-On or another top brand. They need to hold up the the extreme use. But they cost a lot $$$ of money.

I use Craftsman because I don't work on my cars all the time, so they hold up fine for the money I pay. Some people bitch because they break Craftsman sockets/ratchet handles, etc.

In 30+ years I have never broken a socket and just one handle, but I use the RIGHT tool for the job. ie- I don't try breaking loose a 17mm bolt with a 3/8" drive ratchet-handle, I get out the 1/2" drive handle. Use the right tool for the job and they will hold up just fine.

And if you do break one, Sears replaces it with no hassles. About three months ago I had the gear finally wear out in a 3/8" drive ratchet that was about 20+ years old. I went down, they replaced it. And things like ratchet handles will eventually wear out, no matter what the brand.

Be careful, though. Sears might have 2-3 quality lines for things like screwdrivers and pliar-sets. Buy the most-expensive ones, they will last much, much longer.

This is why I DONT like the massive "tool sets". The ratchets/sockets are usually fine, but make sure they didn't sneaK in inferior grade screwdriver, punch, pliar sets, etc. That's how the keep the overall tool-set price down. They have to cut costs somewhere. You're better off, quality wise, piecing your own set together (watch for sales!!)

And for air-tools, do CAREFUL internet research for quality reviews.
I did so with my compressor, and ended up buying a pretty expensive Porter Cable (NOT the Home Depot/Lowes type model) instead of a Craftsman.

I bought it because it IS NOT one of the "non lubricated ones", it HAS the old type oil-sump that has to be topped off and changed once a year, and for the specs was a better buy.

Reviews I read showed the old type engines last a lot longer, and the oil-bath engine modles are in the more expensive compressors. This is an example of the type research you should do before buying air-tools, ther's a LOT of junk on the market.

The "new" compressor engines in the "budget" compressors often die at about 5-7 years use. The "old" type oil-bath models, if in a good quality compressor ($$$$$) still run for 20+ years. This type info. you would never find without poking around the internet before buying, so I included this as an example. Wrenchy
Old 04-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks.

i might add that there are a few craftsman pliers made in china.