Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Condenser fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condenser fan not working

I have a problem with my condenser fan (the secondary fan, the main fan works fine). It might not be a big problem to someone who's worked on these fans...

Background: A while back I had a problem where I kept blowing a fuse. In trying to isolate the short, at one point I disconnected the Condenser fan (thinking it was the cooling fan which was on the circuit for the fuse that kept blowing). After disconnecting the condenser fan's connector, I started the car, heard a "pop", and very soon after smelled a "burnt electronics" type of smell.

Since this has happened, I fixed the cooling fan fuse, but what happens now is that any time I have the ignition in the "on" position, whether the engine is running or not, and when the engine is cold even, the cooling fan (the one towards the passenger side) goes on. I thought this only came on once the engine got warm? Also, in the past it might stay on after turning the car off (if the engine is very hot), and it doesn't do that ever.

As for the other fan, the condenser fan (on the driver's side), it NEVER comes on. Even when I turn on the A/C. Even if the car is warmed up to temperature and I turn on the A/C.

Is there a particular relay which tells these fans how to act? It seems like something that is supposed to be telling them when to come on or stay off is not doing its job; it's just keeping the cooling fan on always and never turning the condenser fan on.

Any ideas?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Condenser fan not working

I have the same problem 1990 accord not solved yet. It could be the fan switch, temp. switch or relay. Lots have told me the most common is the relay. Of course you checked the fuses and ran direct 12v power to the fan to see if it didn't punk out on you. I would check the relay if everything else is OK. I am not much help, I am on a learning curve myself.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Re: Condenser fan not working

You replied to a 7 year old thread.