Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Heat from Radiator Hose - Coolant Level decreasing the coolant container

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat from Radiator Hose - Coolant Level decreasing the coolant container

Hello

I have got a Honda Accord 99 LX. 2 days back I have noticed that smoke was coming out of the radiator and saw that the coolant was empty. I immediately stopped the car and filled out the coolant. It took almost 60% of the container to fill the radiator and the coolant container.

I also saw some traces of coolant being spilled out. I have started the car and tried to see if I could figure from it is spilling, but no luck.

The next morning I drove my car to work and l when I came back to parking lot in the evening, about 20% of the coolant container was emptied(Which was full in the morning when I parked the car).

I have tried to see if there are any cracks on the container, but the container seems to be ok.

Wondering how the level will decrease when the engine if OFF and the container seems to be ok.

Any suggestions?

- Raju
Old 09-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Heat from Radiator Hose - Coolant Level decreasing the coolant container

Raju,

If you are experiencing pronounced coolant loss without any overt signs of a coolant leak then I am going to suggest that you may have a cracked cylinder head. Remove the cylinder head cover (it's held on by a few bolts, all pictured in this '99 Accord Cylinder Head diagram) and inspect the cylinder heads. An internal crack could cause coolant to seep into the oil system without providing any visual signs of coolant leaks elsewhere in your cooling system. I've seen this happen with a few of my customer's Hondas.

Good luck tracking down the source of the coolant loss man!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Heat from Radiator Hose - Coolant Level decreasing the coolant container

Thank you "techtalk". Would this also cause the coolant level in the container decrease when the engine is turned OFF?

- Raju
Old 09-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. The level decreases when the engine is off because as the coolant loses heat it becomes denser, reducing it's volume and sucking in additional fluid to compensate.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raju687
Hello
ok bro. Its your head gasket. When its cold open the radiator cap turn on the car. If water gushes or spill out at great amounts its the head gasket or cracked head. Wanna know why it happened? Take out your themostat 100% sure it will either be stuck closed or 1/4 of the way open.
I have got a Honda Accord 99 LX. 2 days back I have noticed that smoke was coming out of the radiator and saw that the coolant was empty. I immediately stopped the car and filled out the coolant. It took almost 60% of the container to fill the radiator and the coolant container.

I also saw some traces of coolant being spilled out. I have started the car and tried to see if I could figure from it is spilling, but no luck.

The next morning I drove my car to work and l when I came back to parking lot in the evening, about 20% of the coolant container was emptied(Which was full in the morning when I parked the car).

I have tried to see if there are any cracks on the container, but the container seems to be ok.

Wondering how the level will decrease when the engine if OFF and the container seems to be ok.

Any suggestions?

- Raju