Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

clicking noise from the engine, need help pls.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking noise from the engine, need help pls.

hey guys, my car is 96 accord manual f22b1, the car makes clicking noise from the engine, like da da da sound, when its in the 1st gear and revs about 2-3k rpm. when it goes to other gears, the noise disappears and sounds right. i went to honda dealer, they just had a test drive and actually cant figure out where is wrong and then told me thats normal. i was wondering whether anyone has experienced such problem, or it is just normal sound that this type of cars have?? need ur help, many thanks.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Re: clicking noise from the engine, need help pls. (HONDAVTIS)

the car is at very low kilometers, well maintained, and get serviced regularly in honda dealer, and the timing belt is also replaced since last year. but i just don't know why it makes such annoying sound when it runs at very low speed.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, imports are usually noisy.. so mine always has a slight tap. It could be your timing but if they couldn't diagnose it as that then it might not be. Not sure why it only does it in first gear.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: clicking noise from the engine, need help pls. (Homesickelian)

actually the tapping sound still exists when in the 2nd gear but at a much higher frequency, so it won't be as pronounced as in the 1st gear, so i can ignore that. and in the following gears, there is no such nosie any more.

the honda dealer just had a test drive and heard the reving sound, they haven't actually used any equipments to test the engine.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

- Does it sound like it's coming from the top or bottom of the motor?

- Do you know if your valves were adjusted last year when you got your timing belt changed? If not then your valves may need adjusting.

- Have you started using a different grade of fuel? A change from the recommended octane or a bad spark can cause a tick that you would really only hear at lower engine speeds.

- There is known issue with the F22B*'s and clogged EGR ports. Have you had the EGR ports cleaned while you have owned the car? A clogged EGR will give you an under load condition/low rpm tick as well.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clicking noise from the engine, need help pls. (GhostAccord)

It sounds alot like your valves need to be adjusted, is it a click click like metal touching metal or something else
Old 08-07-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: clicking noise from the engine, need help pls. (GhostAccord)

thanks for the reply

1: sorry, i really cant figure out whether the sound is from bottom or top, but im sure its from the engine

2:im not quite sure whether the valve adjustment had been done or not. but those belts, like timing, driving belts, seals, sort of things have been replaced, and belts are adjusted,blah blah blah(as shown on the invoice), so do u think the valve adjustment should have been included? when adjust valve, do they need to take off the engine headcover? like when replacing the timing belt? cuz they will charge a lot in australia.

3:yes, i often use 95RON gas (mid range) and sometimes use Vpower, the recommended gas is regular unleaded RON 91 (87 in US i think), lol. so if this is the reason it knocks at low rpm, would that be harmful over time?

4:the car was only 35k and like just coming out of showroom when i bought it, idles perfect.

5: few mods i've made: CAI, cat-back Exhaust, plugs are NGK iridium which have been put in half year ago.

so many possibilities, have no idea , what do u think the problem is?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how miles are on it now.

I don't think they'd do a valve adjustment and not tell you, so i doubt it was done.

87 is the normal gas for that car, it can't utilize anything else, the ecu can't tell the difference

im not too sure, but your spark plugs could be the wrong temp and cause different detnation
Old 08-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clicking noise from the engine, need help pls. (sony224422)

at that low mileage it's probably the valves. Just get them adjusted. I'm assuming your car is around 90,000 miles if you got the timing belt done.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The dealership wouldn't just do the valve adjustment it would be written on your invoice if they did it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HONDAVTIS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do they need to take off the engine headcover?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes they do have to remove your valve cover (engine headcover) to adjsut your valves. If it's not noted on your invoice that the valves where adjsuted @ 90,000+ I would lean towards valves being the clicking culprit.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 PM

i think valves too. mine probably were never changed so I hear a little clicking during idle and such.

I dont have any torque wrenches otherwise I'd try to do them myself.

I want a quiet idle, lol. but my egr is probably clogged too since Im getting an erratic idle now.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Re: (Mjfan12)

the car's idle is fine, i cant even hear any weird sound except it starts to go.

i have double checked those items on the invoice of major service(which has been done at 40k), there is an item called "adjusted tappet cleareance", i dont no whether it has anything to do with the "valve adjustment" and the timing belt , seals sort of stuffs were replaced at 45k and there is nothing noted about valve adjustment......

the car is at 52k now, i have actually driven with this sound for more than 10k, im wondering whether it wound harm the engine?

PS: sometimes i like to hit the vtec, and also rev to redline several times. so im worried about that.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: (HONDAVTIS)

i remembered that i had tried my friends 98 f23a1 accord before, and there was also a little CLICKING noise from the engine, but much smaller than mine. so i was thinking whether such noise is normal in cd5&6 accords, or maybe the sound proof of his car is better than mine?

but anyways, i ll scheduled appointment with honda dealer these days. i just wanna know all posibilities from u guys, so i can discuss these with the dealer. u know, they r busy sometimes and can not only focus on my car. many thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HONDAVTIS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have double checked those items on the invoice of major service(which has been done at 40k), there is an item called "adjusted tappet cleareance"</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe that "adjust tappet clearance" is the valve adjustment. Now finding that out, I would say if it's not your valves that you should give your EGR a check/cleaning. Once it's clean if it still makes the noise I would say that you probably just have a case of the Honda over head cam ticks......
Old 08-08-2007, 04:49 AM

Default Re: (GhostAccord)

thanks a lot, i feel much better now. hope that the "over head cam ticks" is normal for f22b1 accords. and i just test drive my friends f23a1 accord again tonight, the car is much quieter and i cant any clicking noise in 1st gear. then i tried to listen the idle from the engine compartment, both cars are the same except his is abit quieter than mine. i think the car should be alrite. thanks for the replies from all u guys.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just so you know, you shouldn't have gotten your timing belt done until 90,000 miles, unless it's dramatically different in australia. Most Accords timing belts need to be changed then. Valves normally become out of whack over time and start ticking so no, it's not a thing that is broken.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Homesickelian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Homesickelian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just so you know, </TD></TR></TABLE>

In the service manual for a 96 Accord it states to check/adjust your valve clearnece every 30,000 or 24 months witch ever comes first.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Homesickelian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you shouldn't have gotten your timing belt done until 90,000 miles, unless it's dramatically different in australia.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You were right about the timing and balance belts, but this again has fine print in the manual that states they should be changed at 90,000 or every 72 months. It also states that these intervals will be changed accordign to the severe maintenance schedule. In this servere maintenance shedule it states that the Timing & balance shaft belts should be changed every 30,000miles. Severe conditions include vehicle operation in heat over 90F or 32C or in freezing temperatures. I guess it depends on how warm or cold it gets down under.

Modified by GhostAccord at 8:52 PM 8/8/2007
Old 08-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (20ls01)

Yeah, I guess thats true GhostAccord, but I wonder how imperative it is to get it changed at the 72 month interval. He's probably way past it anyway but still, I wonder how bad a timing belt will rot. I bet the water pump stays fine...

But yeah, like everyone says, valve adjustment. and no they aren't self adjusting. My haynes manual tells me how to adjust them... unless the vtec has the self adjusting, which I don't think it does.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clicking noise from the engine, need help pls.

same car same problem I have had the valve clearances reset and did not stop the noise when engine is cold it is most noticable in first and second gear it is a top end noise Im thinking maybe lost motion sensors worn out or push rods?? like u I need to find out if it is a serious problem or just wear I have 145k on the clock,will keep watching this thread for my own sake.