Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

civc hx ecu problems on swap engine

Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 civc hx ecu problems on swap engine

hey all, i've been having some issues with my 97 hx. first of all i just wanna add that my engine(d16y5) blew up(pistons). and i needed a new engine asap. so i was looking around and found a D15B. I do know about the hx having the vtech-E and wide band o2 sensor. so what i did before the installation, i swap the intake manifold exhaust manifold(with the cat and the two O2s) and the wire harness. everything else belong to the D15B like head, block and tranny.

THE PROBLEM!!!-(when the installation was done) I started the car up, the car started with a low idle. so I left it for a while and everything was well, so it was time for a test drive and while in 1st gear, the engine started to hassitate and lack of power till 2500 rpms, and pretty much that was the same result in all gears up to 4th because in 5th was mostly cruise. in every stop in a small incline, it was like mission impossible for the car to go unless i let the clutch go at 2500rpms or higher.

THE QUESTION- Do u think that if i change the head(reason-compression difference if any and Vtech difference) from my D16Y5 to the D15B, will it make a difference?
or em i gonna the ecu from the car i got it from?

engine source- the engine came form a 1998 honda civic 4 door

Honestly this is the 1st engine swap i ever did, and i also did it by myself. i dont really have alot of knowledge on the D15B, but i do know almost everything about the hx. if you have some info about this motor, plz let me know.

thanks, Duwa.
sorry about the lifelong story lol......... i just din't wasnt to leave anything out.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: civc hx ecu problems on swap engine

Originally Posted by duwa
hey all, i've been having some issues with my 97 hx. first of all i just wanna add that my engine(d16y5) blew up(pistons). and i needed a new engine asap. so i was looking around and found a D15B. I do know about the hx having the vtech-E and wide band o2 sensor. so what i did before the installation, i swap the intake manifold exhaust manifold(with the cat and the two O2s) and the wire harness. everything else belong to the D15B like head, block and tranny.

THE PROBLEM!!!-(when the installation was done) I started the car up, the car started with a low idle. so I left it for a while and everything was well, so it was time for a test drive and while in 1st gear, the engine started to hassitate and lack of power till 2500 rpms, and pretty much that was the same result in all gears up to 4th because in 5th was mostly cruise. in every stop in a small incline, it was like mission impossible for the car to go unless i let the clutch go at 2500rpms or higher.

THE QUESTION- Do u think that if i change the head(reason-compression difference if any and Vtech difference) from my D16Y5 to the D15B, will it make a difference?
or em i gonna the ecu from the car i got it from?

engine source- the engine came form a 1998 honda civic 4 door

Honestly this is the 1st engine swap i ever did, and i also did it by myself. i dont really have alot of knowledge on the D15B, but i do know almost everything about the hx. if you have some info about this motor, plz let me know.

thanks, Duwa.
sorry about the lifelong story lol......... i just din't wasnt to leave anything out.
Too bad you're in the wrong forum, sorry

P