Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/)
-   -   Changing oil pan gasket on 97 EX? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-accord-1990-2002-2/changing-oil-pan-gasket-97-ex-1197308/)

vabchaccord 03-31-2005 04:31 AM

Changing oil pan gasket on 97 EX?

Any procedures anywhere on this? Pictures? Special tools/advice/tips needed?

THEROPE 03-31-2005 04:40 AM

Re: Changing oil pan gasket on 97 EX? (vabchaccord)

buy a helms for like 10 bucks at pepboys

you will need a range of sockets from 14mm to 10mm
drain the oil
take off your exhaust manifold
drop the oil pan like it says in the book
put the new gasket on
replace oil pan
replace manifold
change your oil filter and add some new oil and your set

Turbowa 03-31-2005 07:07 AM

Re: Changing oil pan gasket on 97 EX? (THEROPE)

Ok, lets back up a little. First you can't buy a helms at pep boys. Your thinking of a haynes. Second leave the exhaust manifold on and just take the front lower exhaust pipe off ( A- pipe). You will also want to pick up some Hondabond. use this to seal the pan gsket to the pan and again to the bottom of the block. While you have the pan of go a head and clean it out with brake cleaner to make sure any old forgein material gets out.

vabchaccord 03-31-2005 10:33 AM

Re: Changing oil pan gasket on 97 EX? (Turbowa)

Where can I get the Hondabond at? Does it just come in a tube?

Monkey Fing a Coconut 03-31-2005 01:52 PM

Re: Changing oil pan gasket on 97 EX? (vabchaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vabchaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where can I get the Hondabond at? Does it just come in a tube?</TD></TR></TABLE>

dealership, yes it comes in a tube but its pretty expensive, hondaautomotiveparts.com may be able to get it cheaper, try giving them a call

JDM4DRACCORD 03-31-2005 03:40 PM

is not expensive, it is hella cheap.

Toldge 04-01-2005 04:58 PM

and use plenty of it too....i didn't use enough and ended up having to do the whole thing again a year later

vabchaccord 04-02-2005 04:57 AM

Re: (Toldge)

I see listings for Hondabond 4 and Hondabond HT. Which one do I need?

iam7head 04-02-2005 10:54 AM

Re: (Toldge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Toldge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and use plenty of it too....i didn't use enough and ended up having to do the whole thing again a year later</TD></TR></TABLE>

enough is enough, too much silicone or honda bond will taper the seat/sealing surface.

if there's a oil pan gasket availble for your year of accord, i wouldn't even use any liquid gasket in a tube.(sidenote 98-02 accord doesn't even have a oil pan gasket.)

jb. 04-02-2005 03:30 PM

Re: (iam7head)

i had a leaking gasket on my 95, and I replaced it with a carquest one, which didnt work, then one from a dealer, but it doesnt work like it should either. I scrubbed down the metal, completely cleaned the pan, and used some gasket sealer to stick the rubber to the pan, but it didnt work right, so i dont know how much of a help hondabond is compared to other sealers