Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Cat Turns Red and Misfires

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Turns Red and Misfires

Have a 92 Accord that Misfires and the cat turns red (see video)
My question is this normal? or the Cat is bad?
also in the video you can see flames shoot out from the down pipe, it is cracked (what holds the down pipe cracked off) but wanted to know if flames shooting out that way is normal since it is cracked ?
thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cat Turns Red and Misfires

Somehow, I don't think fire shooting out from under your car (regardless of any type of leak in an exhaust) is normal.

There is no way your cat is supposed to be that hot and glowing red , something is seriously wrong and you should have it checked out asap.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:21 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The cat will overheat and glow if combustion is taking place there. Sounds like your engine is dumping a lot of unburnt fuel out through the exhaust and it is igniting in the header and converter instead of in the cylinders.

You'll need to start by fixing the misfire. Chances are that your cam timing is off or you have one or more dead cylinders.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the main thing I want to fix is the misfire, but what should I check out that can cause this? this happen before with the misfire and it turned out to be the dizzy but I changed it again and it has not changed a thing. the wires are about 6 months old as well as the spark plug wires, when i drive the misfire happens but only when I start to drive but on highway its fine and drives with power. I have a JDM F22B DOHC Engine installed. I hope its something not to big since I drive this car everyday, and this has been like this for a month now.....
Old 11-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you might also have a clogged cat. take that bish off start the car and see how it does
Old 11-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on a clogged cat. Pull it off and either borrow a test pipe or run it open header and see if it changes anything.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will try this tomorrow, hope it is the issue. This mifire even cause the gasket on the header/down pipe to burn out and leaking from there as well.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

x3 on getting a new cat or just run it open lol. Test pipe if anything. Check out your timing or if your plugs are getting a good spark. Your cat is not suppose to glow at all.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need a new cat. it's clogged. it will most likely correct your misfire issue also. would throw some new plugs in there though after you replace the cat. i have seen this happen countless times and it always amazes me how hot the cat can actually get.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, my first thought runs towards a cat, however, the only thing that makes me second guess that is the cracked down-pipe. Typically, you can relieve (or test for) exhaust restriction by just loosening the bolts on the manifold, so a cracked down-pipe should relieve any pressure build up and let it smooth out if a plugged cat was the only issue. When the cat glows, you are burning fuel where you should not and the crack in your pipe probably came from the pressure of it backfiring. So, removing your spark plugs and inspecting them can tell you alot about what is going on inside your engine, that is where I would suggest going. And while you have the plugs out, a compression test might be a good idea. (make sure you disable the fuel delivery system before performing a compression test).
Old 11-05-2010, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys thanks for all the help. I took the CB (Accord) to the Muffler Shop to see what they think.

first thing he does is cut the Cat off to see what happens. the Misfire stopped but he told me that he can smell fuel coming from the pipe so something is not right. he also said putting in another Cat will just kill it just like the last one. the crack on the down pipe was were the the bolts hold the down pipe and was told that Ebay down pipes break off there. so he closed that up and put a staight pipe (no cat)untill I fix the issue.

now since I did all this the car does not misfire at all. drives great!!
but losing fuel. can fill it up and get about 120 miles per tank.
Check engine light came on as soon I turned it on after the work was done. gonna pull the codes and see whats up therte. changing the wires and plugs again today to see if thats the issue.

Hrere's a pic of the down pipe :