Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Car will not shift into any gear and clutch losing pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:26 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Car will not shift into any gear and clutch losing pressure

1998 - MT

Problem - over the last week or so, I have been at a complete stop and have not been able to put the car into gear (any gear, not just 1st). I have tried to force it into any gear, but it almost seems like it is misaligned.

I have let the car roll backwards, and it still would not allow it into gear. I have let off the clutch completely and then engaged it gain, but that did not work to alleviate the problem either.

So far, it has just been a matter of time - 15 seconds to a minute - and then it will go into gear.

I don't believe it is the clutch, it doesn't slip.

I am out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car will not shift into any gear

You may have a leaking clutch master cylinder. Check the fluid reservoir for fluid level. If it's low, check the carpet under the clutch pedal. Is it stained dark? If so, look up to the top of the clutch pedal arm. Do you see fluid leaking? If so you have a leaking clutch master. Otherwise, check the slave cylinder at the tranny for leaks. Chances are it's one of those.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That actually just happened to me and I got it fixed last week and I had to replace my clutch master cylinder and it fixed it. my clutch is basically brand new and it wasn't slipping so I knew my clutch wasn't going bad. You can get a clutch master cylinder at auto zone for liek 60 bucks. If you have a pep boys near you I would get one from there because I only paid 40 for mine there and it was the cheapest one I could get
Old 07-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like*
Old 07-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could also be the slave cylinder to the master. Happened on my 98 a while back, except it caused the car to not go into gear AT ALL. At least not without dying.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:46 AM
New User

Thanks for the input. This morning I checked the fluid level in the clutch reservoir and there was still fluid in there, though at the very min line. I filled it back up and will check for puddles in the parking lot when I leave work.

I did not notice any leaks on the carpet under the clutch pedal. Nor any leaks under my car in the last few days.

If either the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder has to be replaced, how difficult of a job is it?

If I keep refilling the reservoir, will this suffice as a temporary band-aid before I fix it or take it to be fixed?

Thanks again for the input / help.

-Chip
Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
New User

Update:

Seems like the clutch is losing pressure when you hold it in for an extended period of time and starts to engage earlier and earlier.

While I was sitting at a light, I had the car in 1st while pushing the clutch in. When the light turned, the car started rolling - IE clutch had already engaged with the clutch pedal all of the way in.

Is this still a clutch master / slave cylinder issue? I still do not see any fluid leaking both under the clutch pedal and also in the engine bay.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Old 07-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try bleeding out the clutch lines. If that doesn't help, then I would replace both the master and slave cylinders. you can get booth of them at tasauto.com for about $50 for booth cylinders and the gasket. Replacing the cylinders is a pretty straight job, but the master cylinder is annoying because of one of the bolts is hard to get out if you have cruise control.