Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

confused!!!!! oil leak and smoke coming out of exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused!!!!! oil leak and smoke coming out of exhaust

2 questions first Got a 95 Accord LX, did a motor swap to a vtec engine and also put a rebuild head on it. now I am throwing a code 21 and 22 and got oil leak out the vtec on the top were the solenoid is located, "were the the 2 surfaces meet and a plunger like thing is in the middle if u take off the top part you will see it" not sure could that be reason i am throwing those codes??????? if not does anyone know where i can find the pinout for a poa ecu maybe connected the pinups wrong...2nd question my friends keep tell me that smoke is coming out of my tailpipe and it stinks, some say its a light blue some say white...they notice it when they drive behind me...also i seem to be losing oil...i noticed it when i drove to NY the other day and my light came on...i'm losing oil but i am losing it slowly like it takes about 3 weeks or so for me to lose all of it...so what i am asking is, what could that smoke be that stinks....and the could that leak on the vtec be the reason i am losing oil or is it the smoke?????????? need u guys advice please thanks in advance....

i know this is long but i figured i would just give the whole scenario sorry if i confused anyone just lost right... this is my baby
Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 AM

Default Re: confused!!!!! oil leak and smoke coming out of exhaust (g0at357)

I would first solve the error codes. I dont have a link sorry. The oil issue is another story. If it is white coming out the exhaust then it is burning coolant. If it is blue it is coolant and oil. You siad you put a new head oin the engine so you might want to make sure all the gaskets are sealed correctly, mainly the head gasket. When you check the oil what color is it? If it is milky colored your mixing oil/coolant. Do you check the deck to make sure everything was flat? before puting the new head on? The mating surface needs to be flat and clean before puting the new head on. Did you torque everything back down to OEM spec? Someone told me to take my header off and see if there was any oil in on the exhasut valves or in the header. I believe it would be bad vlavle seals. I am not sure though. WIth the new engine did you switch over to synthetic? Synthetic will leak through worn seals and gaskes easier and quicker then coventional oil.

You said the vtec noid was leaking oil, You could replace gasket there. There are several things going on with you engine it is kind of hard to pinpoint one area. The main thing is your loosing oil consitently. But ya i would start with the ECU codes first. and make sure everythign is torqued to spec. Those two options are free. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 AM

Default Re: confused!!!!! oil leak and smoke coming out of exhaust (f22builder)

when i check the oil it is pretty much the usual black oil. no difference in color...

also do u think some honda bond or gasket sealant prevent the leak...

I had the head put on at a mechanic shop...didnt want to miss it up by doin it my self...