Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Broken Transmission Activating Shift Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Transmission Activating Shift Lock?

97 Honda Accord 2.2 Automatic

In short, the car was running fine one day. The next day I get in it try to put it in gear and the shift lock won't let me. I use the bypass and the transmission goes into reverse, I back out, put it in D4, goes into first, and that's it. It won't shift any higher. I can manually pop it into second no problem.

At this point, I assume that the transmission is just toast and somehow died sitting there. So I pop it out and install a transmission from the junkyard. Now this "new" transmission is acting pretty much like the old one except I've noticed that once I've got it in second From there I can put it into D4 it'll stay in second if I get the RPMs high enough it skips right over third and goes into fourth.

I'm not getting any codes at first. Once I take it out and get the RPMs really high and it starts shifting really high then I get the PO730

This junkyard transmission came with all the sensors and stuff attached

The brake lights come on the horn works and I tested the shift lock and it works just fine.

My biggest question is could the shift lock and the transmission being broken be connected to each other. That is to say, could the transmission being broken cause the shift lock to prevent it from going in gear even though there aren't any codes? It just seems strange to me that both would randomly stop working at the exact same time if they weren't connected. I can swap the transmission at the junkyard for free but I'd hate to do it again if there was something else that could be causing this.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Broken Transmission Activating Shift Lock?

So the throttle position sensor was constantly between 3.8 and 4.5 volts. It was within range so not throwing a code but bottomed way to high. Apparently, if the computer thinks you're on the throttle it also activates the shift lock. Replaced the TPS and everything is fine now.