Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Blower Motor Issues (93 EX sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:36 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Blower Motor Issues (93 EX sedan)

This is on a 1993 Honda Civic EX sedan with air conditioning.

Okay, so about a month and a half ago or so, my blower stopped working. The 7.5A fuse under the dash looked fine, but when replaced (not by me) by a larger amperage fuse the blower clicked back on again untiol the next time the car was started, which didn't blow that fuse, but still caused the blower motor to quit.

I replaced the blower motor resistor and the correct fuse and everything was fine for about two to three weeks.

-

Fast forward to two days ago when I got in the car and the blower motor once again is not working. I checked the fuse and it both appeared good, and when replaced with a brand new fuse of the same amperage I still get nothing from the blower motor (I do hear a relay on the driver's side near the fender click on when the fuse is replaced).

I'm guessing my blower motor resistor has gone out again, but I haven't yet taken the car apart once more or started with diagnostics yet.

-

A guess from a friend is that the resistor is bad again, probably because something is grounding or shorting out somewhere (dash harness does not appear to have ever been messed with and the radio was even stock when I got the car - though some speakers were upgraded). He thinks the blower motor might be on it's way out possibly too.

Any ideas? I'm sort of new to Accords still. TIA.

EDIT: New symptom...

The blower worked later the same day I posted this thread. Everything about the climate control worked 100%. All settings and everything.

So I don't know what that was all about.

Last edited by NOFX; 08-21-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blower Motor Issues (93 EX sedan)

Do not have the circuit diagram for 93. However, there is another fuse which powers the blower motor. It should be in the under-hood fuse box and 40A or so. Shorted blower resistor will only affect the speed of the blower motor and can not cut it off.

EDIT: Check the #18 (30A) fuse in under-hood fuse/relay box.

Last edited by billyrusa; 08-21-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 AM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by billyrusa
Do not have the circuit diagram for 93. However, there is another fuse which powers the blower motor. It should be in the under-hood fuse box and 40A or so. Shorted blower resistor will only affect the speed of the blower motor and can not cut it off.

EDIT: Check the #18 (30A) fuse in under-hood fuse/relay box.
Replacement of the blower motor resistor fixed the problem last time (when the blower would not work at all).

The resistor's ceramic piece looked slightly burnt.

I will check the underhood fuse box though. Thank you.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A shorted resistor will only affect motor speed. A broken resistor will cut off the power to the motor. In order to test, you can by pass the blower resistor by grounding the BLU/RED wire (may also test it by turning the heater fan switch to V).

If the blower resistor and/or #18 fuse burnt very often, there may be a problem in the blower motor.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:27 AM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by billyrusa
A shorted resistor will only affect motor speed. A broken resistor will cut off the power to the motor. In order to test, you can by pass the blower resistor by grounding the BLU/RED wire (may also test it by turning the heater fan switch to V).

If the blower resistor and/or #18 fuse burnt very often, there may be a problem in the blower motor.
I can tell you the blower motor resistor being replaced last time fixed the issue. When it came out it had slightly burnt marks on it.

I do not want to keep replacing the resistor. It's not exactly fun or easy to do. Cost is not an issue. I work in auto parts and my manager has already said it will be replaced free of charge as long as the purchase is within 90 days of the return.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:53 PM
H-T White Ops

So another weird thing to add.

I got in my car earlier today and the blower worked. It worked the entire drive. All settings, cold, hot, a/c. It all worked.

I'll update it if goes back out or anything else changes.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've worked on a few cars that were doing that... the blower motors were starting to go bad. In some cases, all I had to do was bang the area around the blower motor hard enough to jar the motor, which got it working again for a few more days. The problem would get worse until the blower motor quit for good. Had to replace the motors.... No problems with them since.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:29 AM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by philadd
I've worked on a few cars that were doing that... the blower motors were starting to go bad. In some cases, all I had to do was bang the area around the blower motor hard enough to jar the motor, which got it working again for a few more days. The problem would get worse until the blower motor quit for good. Had to replace the motors.... No problems with them since.
Thanks. That was a guess from my friend too. I'm not really familiar with climate controls yet.