Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Just put a deposit down on an Accord with the check engine light on...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just put a deposit down on an Accord with the check engine light on...

Sounds stupid I know...But the car was in beautiful shape and the carfax was one owner and literally the tightest I have ever seen...

So from what I have gathered here, it is an ODBI (94 with 160k 5-spd), and thus I can read the code on the dash. So I will get to do that in a couple days after the current owner gets the title together etc.

Anyway there were some slight symptoms, maybe since you guys know Hondas well you can perhaps hypothesize on what's wrong.

1) The car seemed to run a little cold, as if the thermostat was stuck open a bit, the coolant temp would not go to midway, only about 3/8 and it did so in a notchy fashion.
2) It idled low...it did not stall. just idled down near 700rpms and fell down there somewhat quickly after you took your foot off the gas.
3) There was a bit of a sticky lifter noise when I started the car up, but the car was on a steep grade node up, thus I believe depriving it of oil when it started, and the noise did go away when we were on smoother ground. (I think this is just older car and unrelated to the CE light.)

other than that it was choice and I had to buy it then and there or I knew the next guy would. Anyway, I'm hoping that a bad thermo hasn't been running in the car long enough that it gunked up the cat and threw the code. Anyway, you guys have any insight?

thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Just put a deposit down on an Accord with the check engine light on...

CEL's are easy to fix, why dont you find out what the code is and research it before a thread?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just put a deposit down on an Accord with the check engine light on...

I'm sorry. Did you read my post fully and understand me? because in the second paragraph there is something of a disclaimer saying just that I won't be in the presence of the car for a couple of days. This is a discussion forum, not a reference site. I am not very familiar with Honda's and all I did was reach out to ask if anyone had experienced a similar bundle of problems.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its all good Cel= bad sensor.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, if anyone would like to leave some serious input that would be appreciated
Old 06-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cadyfatcat
thanks, if anyone would like to leave some serious input that would be appreciated
I have yet to see a serious question, you just said you are buying a accord with a cel that you have not looked into, Most of the time when you fix the cel any issues will go away.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like I said thanks, there is really no reason you need to pursue this discussion any further, hopefully someone with something constructive to add will chime in
Old 06-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like I said thanks, there is really no reason you need to pursue this discussion any further, hopefully someone with something constructive to add will chime in
Anyone will need more info to give you a conclusion. I am just trying to help, not just be a *******.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:30 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Anyway there were some slight symptoms, maybe since you guys know Hondas well you can perhaps hypothesize on what's wrong.

1) The car seemed to run a little cold, as if the thermostat was stuck open a bit, the coolant temp would not go to midway, only about 3/8 and it did so in a notchy fashion.
When you get the car check the sensor on the intake manifold for the gauge. If it registers the correct resistance for the given temp then it is fine and the gauge may be going bad. It happens. If the sensor is bad replace and see if the gauge works.
Check the Accord FAQ for details
2) It idled low...it did not stall. just idled down near 700rpms and fell down there somewhat quickly after you took your foot off the gas.
If its not stalling or bucking I would not worry about that.
3) There was a bit of a sticky lifter noise when I started the car up, but the car was on a steep grade node up, thus I believe depriving it of oil when it started, and the noise did go away when we were on smoother ground. (I think this is just older car and unrelated to the CE light.)
Rockers probably just need adjustment. Check the FAQ for a how to, the rockers need adjustment every X number of miles.

Under the glove box is a two wire blue connector, jump the wires with a paper clip and turn the car to ON(not start) the CEL will blink for a given code(s). FAQ has the list of CEL codes.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt do ANYTHING without checking the codes for the check engine light. everything else is just conjecture and noise.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys,

Ok got out there yesterday and checked the codes:

It looked like it was throwing code 41 - O2 sensor repeatedly...

When there is only one code will it continue to throw the same code over and over again indefinitely? That's what seemed the be happening.

If that's the case I am relieved it's such a minor issue I got a great price on the car.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:04 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When there is only one code will it continue to throw the same code over and over again indefinitely? That's what seemed the be happening.
yes, when reading the CEL for codes, it will always repeat. If there is only one code it just repeats that one code over and over. If there are multiple codes it will cycle through each code and then start over and over again.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, thanks for the response.

One other thing, I was looking around amazon for a good repair manual and there's a few different ones with mixed reviews, is there any particular one board people would suggest?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:13 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HELM
that is the one you want, its the Honda Factory Service manual and is better than all the others combined.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:28 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by v4lu3s
HELM
yep, Helm Inc manuals

I've owned one for each of my cars. Just need to get one for my 04 Si now. It's the only manual I feel is worth buying.