Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Anyone bleed their ABS brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone bleed their ABS brakes?

i read in the manual that special tools are needed to bleed the brakes on an ABS car.

reason im askin is because i just changed my brake master cylinder and need to bleed my brakes. and the haynes manual says to bleed the ABS brakes at a shop.

Old 05-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone bleed their ABS brakes? (Tx92AccordExD)

Nah man, just bleed them normally, using the bleeder valve on each caliper. Start at right rear, right front, left rear, left front.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:59 PM

From what I understand, if you let air into the brake system, the ABS system is hosed and you need to get it bled at the dealer. If not ABS, no biggy, just bleed the system again. You just have to be extra careful with an ABS system to not introduce air into the system.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone bleed their ABS brakes? (timzak)

If you let air too far into the system, you can bleed the ABS system as well. It's got a bleeder screw just like the calipers do.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Anyone bleed their ABS brakes? (timzak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by timzak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what I understand, if you let air into the brake system, the ABS system is hosed and you need to get it bled at the dealer. If not ABS, no biggy, just bleed the system again. You just have to be extra careful with an ABS system to not introduce air into the system.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not true. On the models with a seperate ABS resevoir, air in the regular brake system can't get into the ABS system.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:44 PM

yup u should take it to a dealer if you dont have the special tool unless if you could afford it there are several types of bleeder systems; vacula, this is powered by air it does what it named. or a pressure bleeder. i highly recommend you using this type. if you could gain access to one. wont take as long as the others they range from $200 to $600. before installing it u should bench bleed it. than if were to bleed by pumping the brake pedal it will take u forever. good luck
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tx92AccordExD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i read in the manual that special tools are needed to bleed the brakes on an ABS car.

reason im askin is because i just changed my brake master cylinder and need to bleed my brakes. and the haynes manual says to bleed the ABS brakes at a shop.

</TD></TR></TABLE>