Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Annoying Noise while Driving!! 91 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Noise while Driving!! 91 Accord

I have this stupid problem that only happens while driving and only at over 10mph. When i get over the 10mph this clicking noise kicks in for like 3 seconds and the stops and 3 seconds later it clicks back on and then off again over and over and over non stop just off and on clicking like somthing is trying to turn on and is seized or somthing but its really loud and embarrasing!! It doesnt make the noise while idle or when you rev the car only when ur rolling about 10mph or more. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but everyone once and awhile the ABS light comes on but goes off on its own shortly after.

Also, 1 other thing when i turn any direction theres a nice loud knocking noise lol would that be tie rods or ball joints? this cars a real winner hehe thanks for your help.

Bob
Old 01-17-2009, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Annoying Noise while Driving!! 91 Accord

Well, It could possibily be your axles that are making a clicking noise. You CV joints could be bad.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 PM

i thought that tooo but the clicking sound doesnt increase with speed it always stays the same. And its way to predictable to be anything like that. I was hoping there was something electrical like a acuator thats stuck or maybe a silenoid? i dunno really but i know the axle click and thats not it.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bobhonkey
i have this stupid problem that only happens while driving and only at over 10mph. When i get over the 10mph this clicking noise kicks in for like 3 seconds and the stops and 3 seconds later it clicks back on and then off again over and over and over non stop just off and on clicking like somthing is trying to turn on and is seized or somthing but its really loud and embarrasing!! It doesnt make the noise while idle or when you rev the car only when ur rolling about 10mph or more. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but everyone once and awhile the abs light comes on but goes off on its own shortly after.
do you hear this more on the inside or outside the car? Can you feel this 'clicking' thru the brake pedal?

also, 1 other thing when i turn any direction theres a nice loud knocking noise lol would that be tie rods or ball joints? This cars a real winner hehe thanks for your help.
this would be a constant velocity joint failure on one of the front drive axles

bob
p
Old 01-17-2009, 03:55 PM

i dont feel anything on the pedals at all and i hear it inside and out about the same sound level sometimes it seems like its comming from somewhere by the firewall under the hood its hard to tell because when the car is stopped it dont make the sound.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check if your cv joint boot is ripped that might cause the clicking noise when turning.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A '91 with ABS eh? lol, i have a '91 but I dont have ABS. I do have a '95 that does have ABS and when the car is first started the motor in the ABS unit starts for about 3 seconds then stops (to prime/pressurize the accumulator i assume). Its possible there might be a bad pressure switch in your ABS unit or something like that (which would cause the ABS pump motor to cylcle constantly- also some ABS systems do a "self-test" only after the car starts moving- again this involves activating the motor- and will cause a noise, which would be much more noticable if it does it over and over!). Try unplugging the fuse for your ABS unit, or disconnecting the connectors going to it, and see if the sound still exists. If the sound stops, then its most likely the ABS unit causing the noise.

CV joints will cause a clicking noise, but usually not on and off rhythmically, their pretty predictable only at certain times however- such as when going around corners, so I would agree with you that its not the CV axles.

Rule out the ABS unit first, if the sound still exists then we'll try and solve the problem wherever else it may be! -good luck, with the '91!
Old 10-08-2009, 02:45 PM
New User

I wonder if this was resolved? I think I have the same problem, but I don't have ABS. I think it is in the suspension. For the last year and a half it only happened at about 12mph. Any ideas?
Old 10-08-2009, 05:47 PM

low A/C refrigerant can cause a similar noise to that of suspension, this is from the compressor kicking on and off constantly.... however unlikely its a possibility.

road test this with a friend driving and you in the passenger seat.... this way you can focus on when and where the noise is coming from.

The ABS light is unlikely, the ABS system in these cars is primitive... and any wheel lockup or spin will shoot it on temporarily.... if its ever stays on though then you've probably found your problem.

-Mike
Old 10-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by AccordInTheMaking
A '91 with ABS eh? lol, i have a '91 but I dont have ABS. I do have a '95 that does have ABS and when the car is first started the motor in the ABS unit starts for about 3 seconds then stops (to prime/pressurize the accumulator i assume). Its possible there might be a bad pressure switch in your ABS unit or something like that (which would cause the ABS pump motor to cylcle constantly- also some ABS systems do a "self-test" only after the car starts moving- again this involves activating the motor- and will cause a noise, which would be much more noticable if it does it over and over!). Try unplugging the fuse for your ABS unit, or disconnecting the connectors going to it, and see if the sound still exists. If the sound stops, then its most likely the ABS unit causing the noise.
Please excuse my post. i just noticed i passed this one ^^^, AccordInTheMaking is correct. you should attempt his diagnosis before moving on......

good catch btw, i feel dumb for overlooking this