Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Accord starts then dies.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Accord starts then dies. (Sin-D)

it is called the main relay when you take it out on the side of it it will say main relay assem' or something to the extent...
Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Accord starts then dies. (bseriescrxsi)

YES, but a main relay can be easily troubleshot by checking for fuel flow during cranking. I will say that it is a wear and tear item and that it could just be changed out of preventive maintenance, its a good idea, but it may not be your problem, not if you have fuel squirting out of the fuel pressure test port while cranking.

Does your fuel filter have a 12mm bolt on top, or a 12mm bolt on the fuel rail to screw in a fuel pressure tester, tester not needed at this point, just the 12mm bolt.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Accord starts then dies. (Vinceg99)

There are a few different types of main relays, one may be physically larger but it plugs in and will work. Another has the locking clip in a different location and it is wired differently so it will not work so dont cut the lock off trying to make it fit, its not wired the same, but the majority of relays are swappable.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Accord starts then dies. (Duane_in_Japan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Duane_in_Japan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">YES, but a main relay can be easily troubleshot by checking for fuel flow during cranking. I will say that it is a wear and tear item and that it could just be changed out of preventive maintenance, its a good idea, but it may not be your problem, not if you have fuel squirting out of the fuel pressure test port while cranking.

Does your fuel filter have a 12mm bolt on top, or a 12mm bolt on the fuel rail to screw in a fuel pressure tester, tester not needed at this point, just the 12mm bolt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But why would it start then die then IMMEDIATELY after start right up? I dont see what checking that will do? I could see this as a possibility if I could try it when it didnt start but as I said it starts dies then starts and is fine after that its the initial start (sometimes) that I would like to fix. Is this to check for a clogged fuel filter?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Duane_in_Japan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are a few different types of main relays, one may be physically larger but it plugs in and will work. Another has the locking clip in a different location and it is wired differently so it will not work so dont cut the lock off trying to make it fit, its not wired the same, but the majority of relays are swappable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks I have a few of them lyin around for a d-series figured maybe give it a shot.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Accord starts then dies.

Sorry to bring it from the dead; did anybody ever figure the cause of this "start and immediately die" problem? did you ever have a CEL?