Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Accord master keys

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord master keys

Does anyone know if i have to go to the dealer to get extra master keys made? How much did you pay for yours? A copy will open my doors,but not turn on my engine correct?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Accord master keys (VtecBrian)

why do you need a master key (just wondering)
Old 02-13-2006, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Accord master keys (honda4674)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda4674 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why do you need a master key (just wondering)</TD></TR></TABLE>

im guessing so that he can open his trunk, glove box, etc

and yes, you can go to honda and get a master key made, the valet key will open your doors and start the car, but thats it. in order to get the master key made, you need your vin number, and proof of ownership, or you can bring the car there. i believe i paid about $10 Canadian for a key at the dealership here when i got mine made
Old 02-13-2006, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Accord master keys (Hcivic88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda4674 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why do you need a master key (just wondering)</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hcivic88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im guessing so that he can open his trunk, glove box, etc

and yes, you can go to honda and get a master key made, the valet key will open your doors and start the car, but thats it. in order to get the master key made, you need your vin number, and proof of ownership, or you can bring the car there. i believe i paid about $10 Canadian for a key at the dealership here when i got mine made</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks that what i neede to know, I just hope they don't try and charge me something rediculous.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it is going to be costly to get a key. They have to be programmed to the car. Last time I heard it was over $80 and one person I know paid $120
Old 02-14-2006, 03:58 AM

The key without the electrohnics inside is for opening the doors and trunk. I have one that came with the car. I went to Home Depot to get another copy so I could open the trunk. It worked in the doors but not the trunk. Went back to HD and the man recut it. It still did not work so I went back and a woman at the key machine said HD would make a copy of the key because they had a problem with a customer who claimed they tried one in their ignition and it burned up the electronics in their car. I called the manufacturer of the key machine and they said they never heard such a story. I than went to Wal-Mart where they have the exact same machine as HD and they made a copy (same price) without a problem and it works in all locks except it won't start the car.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:16 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Accord master keys (YeuEmMaiMai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YeuEmMaiMai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is going to be costly to get a key. They have to be programmed to the car. Last time I heard it was over $80 and one person I know paid $120</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's not going to cost anything like that anymore, especially if he is just getting copies of keys he already has.

If he just needs, say, four master keys because a lot of people use the car, then all he has to do is show up with his ID, his registration, and one of the master keys.

The dealer can clone the master he brings in fairly easily and inexpensively, provided he can identify himself as the registered owner of the car he is cloning.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Accord master keys (George Knighton)

i was told by honda in asheville NC that if you dont have a key at all for the car it was gonna be about 90 bucks.

if you have a valet key, they can use that to make a master key, and its only like 3 bucks
Old 02-14-2006, 05:16 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Accord master keys (93cb7sedan)

How does the valet key help if there's no chip in it?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How does the valet key help if there's no chip in it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the grey valet key does have a chip in it, the only thing it will not do/open is the glove box, trunk lock and rear seat lock
Old 02-14-2006, 07:53 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Accord master keys (iam7head)

Shows ya what I know. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Accord master keys (iam7head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iam7head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the grey valet key does have a chip in it, the only thing it will not do/open is the glove box, trunk lock and rear seat lock</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, the "valet" key wouldn't be good to a valet driver if he can't start the car with it.

And if you are getting new keys, be sure to check the price of getting two or three keys done at the same time. When I checked prices, it was something like $8 for each blank, plus a flat $25 for labor no matter how many keys were made (though I'm not sure what labor goes into it).

Also... independent locksmiths can make duplicate keys, programmed to your car, though I don't know what the price is. Supposedly if you have two keys for your car it is very easy for them to make a dupe, if you have just one key they can do it but it'll take a little longer, I'm not sure if they can do it if you have no keys.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:05 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How does the valet key help if there's no chip in it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be funny to hand the valet a valet key that doesn't start the car.

he would be so dumbfounded