Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

accord keeps cutting out & no idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 accord keeps cutting out & no idle

Hi, can anyone help me regarding an idle issue that’s just happened on my Honda accord 1.8 Vtec 2002 (UK) this evening, it happened when i was driving to the petrol station when i noticed the car just cut out but i noticed the idle dropped right down to 0 i tried starting the car again it started back up again but only if you press the accelerator pedal other than that the car won’t start. Has this happened to anyone before? If anyone can help me it’ll be much appreciated. Thanks for a newbie
Old 09-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: accord keeps cutting out & no idle

Were you driving down the road at speed when this happend (lets say 60 kmh~40 mph) or sitting at a stop......one could be ignition issues the other could be IAC
Old 09-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Trial User

hi i was driving down at some speed about 40mph as it just cut off as the rev counter goes to 0 as it does turn over only when you press the accelerator pedal as it does start but then it cuts out again as it doesn't idle unless you press the accelerator pedal, i don't think it could be a ignition issue. I know this may sound stupid but whats IAC?
Old 09-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IAC= Idle Air Control...again based upon you last response, I really don't think that is causing the issue.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Trial User

i've been reading these forums and what i've been hearing is that it could be the IAC or either the MAF sensor both of them being clogged up or the ignition issues. This may some stupid but how can it be a ignition issue if the car is turning over? also how can i find out if it is the ignition that's the problem as with the IAC and MAF sensor i can give them a clean but what can i do to the ignition?
Old 09-25-2011, 03:38 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by accordman01
This may some stupid but how can it be a ignition issue if the car is turning over?
No ignition, no combustion.
No combustion, no power.
No power, no go.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:38 AM
Trial User

Hi, i tried using the spare key this morning the car started ok but it was still wasn't idling properly so i decided to unplug the Map sensor when the car was running it was still idling it didn't cut out so i connected it back up & noticed the engine light came on it stayed on so i decided to disconnect the battery when i started the car back up it either wont start with the spare key or normal key as i had to press the accelerator pedal when it does it wont stay idling for long as i'm getting the green key symbol flashing five times when i take the key out which seems to me that it's an ignition fault i.e. faulty ignition barrel as this was on a another forum

"Have you had a flat battery recently? My brother noticed that whenever he has a flat battery or when he removes the battery and then reconnect the battery after recharging/repair work etc his car would cut out as i described in my post. After a few days it was running perfectly. We heard of ecu in cars which remembers the way you drive the car. When the battery is disconnected it loses that data. When you reconnect the battery it goes through a learning stage. Don't know if that is true in this case.

Another problem he had at that time was the green key symbol appearing on the rev counter. He had trouble starting it sometimes hence flat battery. It was traced to a faulty ignition barrel which was part of the immobiliser, a common fault.

Let us know how you get on"

I'm going to change the ignition barrel and see if that works as i think it could be this..i hope
Old 09-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Trial User

hi just a quick update i tried the spare key after i disconnected the battery and also cleaned the earth terminals from the battery and it seems to be working fine as it was an ignition problem as it didn't turn over but it's fine now, thanks for all your help in this matter