Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

accord climate control/radio lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accord climate control/radio lights not working

hey guys i'm posting here for a friend. he has a 2003 accord ex v6 without navi. within the past month his dash lights stopped coming on behind his radio/climate control and when he took it to the dealer they said he needs a whole new unit which is going to cost $2g's without labor. they told him that this is this a common problem which i find hard to believe. is there a cheaper way for him to fix this? thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: accord climate control/radio lights not working (omg516)

I hear this has been a big problem w/ the TSX, and it usually occurs after 19k for the owners that has been affected. My question is he is still covered, why warranty is not going to cover the costs? Check out the TSX boards:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/...11074

Also, let us know what happens when he gets this taken care of.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:12 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer has warrantied every last one of them that has come to us. Give american Honda a call and they will cover it for you.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:15 AM

Default Re: (MooGoCow3)

thats the problem, it just started happening now and he has 60k miles. they won't cover it...
Old 03-02-2006, 08:48 AM

I had the same issue on my 03. The dealer said it was would be very costly to replace the bulb. He said also Honda was coming out with a service bulletin. I never got it and I traded the car in. I had 123K when it went out so warranty was not an option.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:49 AM

I had the same issue on my 03. The dealer said it was would be very costly to replace the bulb. He said also Honda was coming out with a service bulletin. I never got it and I traded the car in. I had 123K when it went out so warranty was not an option.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:50 AM

Default Re: accord climate control/radio lights not working (luckyfish1)

so if its a common issue then everyone who is out of warranty is just SOL? that bs if you ask me, it shouldn't cost 3grand to fix a common problem.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:52 AM

and there must be a cheaper place to purchase the part beside the stealership...
Old 03-02-2006, 02:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd call HOA and tell them that this is unacceptable and that this will cause you not to buy another car from them. They know it is a problem and they should at leat pick up 3/4 of the tab.

When I see crap like this from Honda, it makes a Toyota look much more attractive........
Old 03-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: accord climate control/radio lights not working (YeuEmMaiMai)

Toyota has made some serious LEMONS. Ever drive a T100. Made the mistake of not test driving it on bumpy road or over 55mph. At 65mph the steering wheel would shake. Hit a small bump, get a big bounce. The truck was ok, as long as you were on a very smooth, low speed road. Toyota kept saying the wheels were hard to balance. Finally tried new wheels, did not help. Thought maybe it was just my truck. So I went to brother-inlaw's house and drove his. Same POS ride. He actually still has his T100. I guess he's used to driving junk.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: accord climate control/radio lights not working (BLKFLSH)

I have an 03 Accord. My radio light has not gone out, yet. I have my fingers crossed though. Call HOA.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omg516 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys i'm posting here for a friend. he has a 2003 accord ex v6 without navi. within the past month his dash lights stopped coming on behind his radio/climate control and when he took it to the dealer they said he needs a whole new unit which is going to cost $2g's without labor. they told him that this is this a common problem which i find hard to believe. is there a cheaper way for him to fix this? thanks in advance
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got a 03. Had mine replaced at 63k (way outta warranty) Just go, it wont cost you anything....
Old 03-03-2006, 07:47 AM

Default Re: accord climate control/radio lights not working (kbanks45)

go where? he's gone to 1 dealership and called 3 others and they all tell him the same thing...
Old 03-03-2006, 03:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Honda of America and tell them this is unacceptable....don't be rude or anything and tell them that the what the dealer told you and what the dealer's name is and the name of the person at the dealer who told you it is a common problem

American Honda (Honda of America)
Phone: 310-783-2000
Toll free: 800-999-1009
Fax: 310-783-3273
Old 03-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: accord climate control/radio lights not working (BLKFLSH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLKFLSH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an 03 Accord. My radio light has not gone out, yet. I have my fingers crossed though. Call HOA. </TD></TR></TABLE>

same here
Old 03-07-2006, 06:37 AM

Default Re: accord climate control/radio lights not working (1cleanEJ8)

I don't know if this will help anyone, or if everyone already knows it, but I accidentally discovered that you can turn the climate/radio control panel backlight on and off in my 05 Accord EX-L. If you hold down the CD/AUX/XM button (middle one on left side) for about 5-10 seconds, the light goes off; do it again and it comes back on.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: accord climate control/radio lights not working (Cruisebud)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cruisebud &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know if this will help anyone, or if everyone already knows it, but I accidentally discovered that you can turn the climate/radio control panel backlight on and off in my 05 Accord EX-L. If you hold down the CD/AUX/XM button (middle one on left side) for about 5-10 seconds, the light goes off; do it again and it comes back on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

let me try that on my 03 LX
Old 03-13-2006, 01:31 PM

I just purchased a 2003 Honda accord ex coupe and the backlights went out on it a few weeks after I baught it. I used this board and other places to help me get it fixed.

All you really have to do is call American Honda. They were EXTREMELY pleasent with me. I called them on a Friday at 9am and the serivce rep got back to me the same day around 4pm. His name was Wayne and he told me right off the bat he would cover it. He personally called the dealership and told them to cover it no questions asked. I am bringing it in tomorrow morning to have it fixed .

I would advise not having an attitude with them. Just call them up and explain the problem and they will take care of you.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (leepoffaith)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leepoffaith &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just purchased a 2003 Honda accord ex coupe and the backlights went out on it a few weeks after I baught it. I used this board and other places to help me get it fixed.

All you really have to do is call American Honda. They were EXTREMELY pleasent with me. I called them on a Friday at 9am and the serivce rep got back to me the same day around 4pm. His name was Wayne and he told me right off the bat he would cover it. He personally called the dealership and told them to cover it no questions asked. I am bringing it in tomorrow morning to have it fixed .

I would advise not having an attitude with them. Just call them up and explain the problem and they will take care of you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you still have warranty on your accord? I just bought mine 2 weeks ago from a honda dealership but it only came with a 30 day warranty. I know my 30 days arent over yet but i'm just preparing early.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let us know what the end result is.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:38 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Default Re: (MooGoCow3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MooGoCow3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My dealer has warrantied every last one of them that has come to us. Give american Honda a call and they will cover it for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I must not have made myself clear...
I have warrantied EVERY audio unit that has come through my service bay. No matter if it was 500K miles or 10K miles. Honda WILL warranty this.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:13 AM

No, I had no warrenty on my car. I baught it from a private party with 73k on it. The guy took it to a dealer to have the radio fixed and they told him it was going to be 1000 bucks, so he took that off the price we negotiated. I got one hell of a deal
Old 03-14-2006, 08:44 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

There is no way that anybody should have to pay for this, our Honda representative has told us to cover every one that comes to us regardless of mileage. If they want you to pay I would either call American Honda or ask to speak with your area Honda rep.
Honda WILL warranty this untill they say to stop doing it and that time has not yet come.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: accord climate control/radio lights not working

If you disable the OEM Radio and use an aftermarket one that goes in the lower pocket bezel you have to get the T connector and wire the ORANGE wire from that harness (illumination lights) to the RED hotwire. In most cases the OEM Radio can still display the clock and backlight but if your radio is causing a battery drain or a fuse to blow simply unpin the RED hotwire from the harness that goes to the OEM radio and connect it directly to the ORANGE wire this will give you HVAC illumination when the car is on and you will be able to see the controls at night. If you do not use a T connector this can still be done using a spare wire that goes directly to the pin on the back of the OEM radio to the RED hotwire. Look for a wiring diagram that shows which pin controls illumination.
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2021, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: accord climate control/radio lights not working

I'm not sure if it's the same as my problem but I have a 2001 Honda Accord LX V6 3.0 and the AC control lights all went out, could not switch the vent modes, could not activate the AC, but the fan control **** worked fine and controlled the fan fine. the lights came on intermittently and I was able to use AC for a few minutes and it would go out during a drive. it seemed like a battery was dying so I ripped out the center dashboard and remove the circuit board for the AC controls. there are 5 capacitors on mine , I replaced them all and it seems to work fine now. one capacitor I replaced matched the capacitance and voltage but was half the size, I'm guessing it is a low ESR capacitor. I replaced it with the next voltage up which was closer to the size of the old cap, all the others I had no problem. the original caps are japanese nichicon, which is one of the top brands. I tried to do the jumper mod which didn't work at all. so if you lose lights and controls for the AC buttons try replacing all the caps, preferably with nichicon