Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Accord 2000 Transmission; No D4 light (not brocken)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord 2000 Transmission; No D4 light (not brocken)

Hi all,

I have a Accord 2000 EX V6 4-door. Car is in good shape, but have problems with transmission.

Maybe a little history:
I purchased the Accord used from my boss. He was the first owner and had the car serviced according to Honda service intervals. Any repairs that were made, were always made by a Honda dealership.

I purchased the car with 110k km. At that time I had the timing belt changed.
When i purchased the car, the D4 light was off. I thought that the light bulb was burned out, and did not bother to check. It was off for a loooong time (~2 years). Than one day, the D4 light just came on. I have no idea, why or what I did that made it come back on. It was just there. The transmission shifted fine, as far as I was able to tell. Looking back, it was not fine.

It was on for a while and than turned off again. At that point I though that it burned out for sure, but did not change it.

Maybe 1 year later (last winter) on a cold day, I noticed that shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, it was hesitating and shifting quite rough. i thought it was just because of the cold weather. It got better when the trany was warm.

Fast forward 3 month, I started to read up on the problem (it was still there, no D4 light and hard shifting and hesitation) and was reading a lot on forums.

i decided to actually check the trany fluid for the first time. IT WAS LOW!!! At that time, I made up my mind, to change the trany fluid to Redline D4. Once I noticed the low trany fluid, I immediately added wahtever i had to, to bring it up to the right level.

Than I proceeded to do a 3x3. After doing the first change, I drove the accord and noticed, that it was leaking badly. It turned out to be the Axle seals that needed to be changed. I had a mechanic to the seal change. I finished the 3x3 fluid change to D4.

A few month later the D4 light came back on for maybe 5 days and is off now again.

There is still a small leakage somewhere else, and I will have the same mechanic check it out, and repair, however, the fluid level is ok.

Now to the problem on hand. The D4 light does not come on, when starting the car. It also does not come on when shifting into 4th gear. It does not come on period. Since changing the fluid, the shifting changed quite a bid. It is smooth and quick. But it does not seem quite right. There is still some delay, and shifting into reverse, it still "jerks", it also has some hesitation from 2nd to 3rd. 1st to 2nd is fine, than jerking going to 3rd, 3rd to 4th is fine. 4th to N is good. Coming from 4th to R is again rough.

No my question, should I change the pressure switch(es)? If so, what are the part numbers that I need to look at. How many pressure switches are there.

Unfortunately, I cannot read out the codes, for some reason no reader is working. but this is for a 2nd post.

I want to improve the switching of gears, I figure, that when the winder comes again, that shifting will not be nice again (maybe not at bad as it was, but still not nice).
Old 06-17-2015, 06:08 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Accord 2000 Transmission; No D4 light (not brocken)

Anybody any thoughts on the pressure sensors?

Should I change them or are they most likely working fine.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:52 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

If the D4 lamp is blinking, then there is a code set.
If the D4 lamp is illuminated when another gear is selected, then there is most likely a code set.(that is if the other gear*P/R/N/D3/2/1* lamp is illuminated)
If the D4 lamp is illuminated when D4 is selected for driving, this is normal. There is a faulty connection at the lamp or at the gear switch.

Toss the Redline, I have never been a fan of that stuff and it is listed as being compatible with Mercon, DexronII, DexronIII and Mercon V. V is different beast of a fluid from the other Mercon/Dexron fluids. I see no mention of Dexron VI. Which again is a different fluid. I would not use a generic fluid in these later 98-02 cars. 90-97 I have no qualms with using a Dexron variant, but these later machines I would be careful on fluid choices.

Use an OBDII code reader to verify if any codes are stored/set in the computer.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mike, the op has another thread on this page that deals with the obdII not giving codes with two code checkers. Will not communicate.