Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Accord 2000 clutch problems, again..

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord 2000 clutch problems, again..

Hello, last year I wrote about my clutch problems in this thread: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...floor-3304777/
Now it has been annoying couple of months dealing with this car.
Here is the story.

August 2017: Master cylinder was replaced, everything was good after that.
November 2017: I noticed that clutch fluid had started leaking. I refilled the clutch fluid reservoir, then it took about a month when the fluid had leaked to MIN level on reservoir.
December 2017: Master cylinder was replaced again (free of charge).
January 2018: I notice that clutch fluid is leaking again, this time mechanic replaced a seal on the master cylinder. He said that seal was causing the leak again. After this the clutch pedal was more stiff than before.
March 2018: Clutch fluid is leaking again. Also this time clutch started to engage at higher point, soon after this the clutch started slipping after driving for about 10-15 mins. So basically when the engine was cold it was not slipping.
Then when I drove to a store and came back to the car the clutch was slipping so much that the car could barely move. Luckily there was a car maintenance shop in the same building with the store so I left the car there and let them take a look at it.

I explained the situation to them and mentioned the previous problems with the master cylinder, they also test drove the car and confirmed that the clutch only starts to slip after driving for a while.
To fix the problem they decided that the clutch kit has to replaced (pressure plate, disk and bearing). They also replaced a transmission seal that was leaking oil.
After the repair clutch felt better than ever and I did really hope that everything was fixed now.

And here we are after 10 days of the repair, clutch fluid is again leaking and the clutch pedal has started to feel stiff. Just like before. No slipping yet though.
I went to speak about this to the shop where clutch kit was replaced and now they said that the fluid leakage and stiff clutch pedal is because of a faulty clutch master cylinder..
Now I have contacted the mechanic who replaced the master cylinder and am waiting for a response.

I did read many threads in this forum and I am starting to think that there was no need to replace the clutch kit and the master cylinder is causing all these problems.
Do you guys have any idead what is causing all these problems?

Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Accord 2000 clutch problems, again..

have actually seen exactly where the fluid is leaking from ?

when you say the clutch was slipping, do you specifically mean that when you rev, that the rpms go up but the car isn't going faster ?

it's possible that the slave cylinder is leaking

the clutch might have been bad AND you also had/have a leak at the same time
Old 03-17-2018, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fluid seems to be leaking from master cylinder, mechanic also said that. Today I did notice that the hose from fluid reservoir to master cylinder looks wet, especially the connection point in fluid reservoir.
By slipping I mean exactly that rpms go up but car is not going faster.
Slave cylinder looks dry.

Am I safe to drive the car in this condition or could the most likely faulty master cylinder damage the whole clutch system?
Old 03-17-2018, 02:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have any clutch free play ? what this means is when you push down the clutch, is there any play before it starts to feel like it's compressing something ? there should be about a half inch of play when you press down on the clutch before it starts compressing something

you need to buy a brand name clutch master cylinder, the ones you are buying are junk

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+cylinder,1996

beck arnley make OEM quality products
Old 03-18-2018, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, about clutch free play. After the clutch kit was replaced there is a lot of free play UNTIL the clutch pedal becomes stiff. So basically after driving for 15 mins clutch pedal becomes stiff and there is less free play.
I also do think that when the clutch fluid reservoir is full there is less free play and clutch pedal is more stiff. I have never seen that fluid level goes below MIN line and maybe I am imagining thinks but the clutch actually feels better when the fluid level is at the MIN level.