Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Accident, Airbags Deployed, Won't start. Fuel pump and SRS fuses keep blowing

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 04:14 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident, Airbags Deployed, Won't start. Fuel pump and SRS fuses keep blowing

Hey guys! My girlfriend recently rear-ended someone going about 20mph in her 96' Accord, airbags were deployed. Car cranks but won't start. After I did a brief inspection I noticed that the SRS and Fuel pump fuses were blown, when I try to replace them they instantly re-blow. Also, as far as I can tell the shifter is also locked in park. I'm curious if this is the SRS module still sending out a "There was an accident cut the fuel pump" signal and I need to disconnect/replace the module, or if there's likely something else going on here. I'm not a mechanic but good at troubleshooting and DIY, we're fairly strapped for cash so trying to figure this out without taking it into a shop, as far as I can tell nothing has changed in the engine bay and mechanically the car should run.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Accident, Airbags Deployed, Won't start. Fuel pump and SRS fuses keep blowing

I'm not that familiar with SRS functions, but blowing fuses is not from a "cut the power" input. Blown fuses are from a short, either in the wiring or the pump itself. You might pull the leads from the fuel pump back at the pump (in the trunk) and check resistance there. Or better advice: get the wiring diagram and start testing for a short downstream from the fuse block.
As for the trans locked in park: I can't tell you anything, and I hope someone else can comment. It may be interlocked with the issue with your fuel pump power.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Accident, Airbags Deployed, Won't start. Fuel pump and SRS fuses keep blowing

Wanted to update in case someone else has this problem. It appears my initial instinct was correct. When the SRS senses a crash and deploys the airbags it also shorts the fuel pump in an effort to prevent an engine fire. In this case the crash data needs to be wiped or the SRS needs to be replaced with a unit from the exact matching year that hasn't been in an accident. To narrow down the problem, I disconnected the SRS and replaced the fuses. Fuses didn't pop this time, the car started right up and shifted just fine. Now, I realize there may be a reason that there's limited info on this as it is a safety concern, we don't plan on driving the car without a functional SRS module or airbags, just wanted to pinpoint our issue.

Also, I don't mean to be rude but to give the advice that it's DEFINITELY not from a "cut the power input" without being familiar with SRS functions seems like bad practice and could easily lead someone down the wrong path. Please be more mindful of absolute knowledge before giving advice.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you would think that a short in the event of a crash would be counterproductive to trying to be safe, so I'm really surprised that the srs unit produces a short when it detects a crash
Old 05-20-2017, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my personal experience with a 97 Accord SE - 2 dr auto. Son was in an accident, both drivers and pass air bags deployed. Bounced across rocks hard enough to knock a hole in the transmission case. Had the car towed to a shop. Next day I go to get a better look at it to decide what to do.

Put the key in, turned it on and it started right up

I guess the 97 is different than the 96.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Poorman, did your airbags deploy? The OP's incident had bag deployment.
I agree with Holmes- entering a dead short during a crash event seems like a pretty bad design approach. The only SRS doc I could find was the CD7-CD9 manual for 94 which says nothing about a fuel or transmission lockout. That seems like info they should at least put in the shop manual, if not the owner's manual.

And for the record: I told the OP to look for a short- and that's what it was! Where do these people get off?!?
Old 05-22-2017, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by poorman212
Just my personal experience with a 97 Accord SE - 2 dr auto. Son was in an accident, both drivers and pass air bags deployed. Bounced across rocks hard enough to knock a hole in the transmission case. Had the car towed to a shop. Next day I go to get a better look at it to decide what to do.

Put the key in, turned it on and it started right up

I guess the 97 is different than the 96.
Did they deploy....clearly answered in my "two cents" of a post. In fact never did find a "color" match pass air bag....ended up going with an "off" colored pass air bag as I gave up and jest went with something close.

Last edited by poorman212; 05-22-2017 at 05:17 PM.