Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Ac only blasting ice cold on acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac only blasting ice cold on acceleration.

Ok so I have seen many different answers.

I have a 2000 honda accord.

The a.c. was topped up by my brother in law.

Compressor kept kicking in and off and blowing got air.....went to his brother he used the proper valve gauges and found out it was over filled and had too much air in the system. He got the air out and bam beautiful a.c. for about a day. Now it's blowing warm air out at stop signs and cool air while coasting....(not enough to cut the humidity) ice cold while going past 60kmph. I'm going crazy. Is it the throttle body. Can anyone help? What is wrong with this car? I have read descriptions of how to clean the throttle body but I'm a visual learner. Does anyone have pictures.

Also I have checked the fans. They work. Actually too well they never shut off.

Upgraded: aftermarket exaust from header to muffler. (could that cause fans to stay on?)
Old 06-14-2017, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ac only blasting ice cold on acceleration.

AC systems are very finicky about the amount of refrigerant in them. If your brother didn't measure the high side and low side pressure before he topped it up, you may just have too much refrigerant in it. I can also imagine that a component of the system is partially blocked. As you accelerate, the drive belt turns the AC compressor faster as the engine revs go up. You are getting cold air when the compressor is running faster, but not when it is running slower, at idle. This symptoms make me think that it may be that the expansion valve needs to be replaced. If the expansion valve, or any part of the system, is restricting the flow of refrigerant too much because of being partially clogged, only at high rpms does enough refrigerant flow through the system. Watch some YouTube videos from Scotty Kilmer, Ericthecarguy and Chris Fix on A/C (aka HVAC) system problems. You may need to buy an AC pressure gauge manifold from a place like Harbor Freight to troubleshoot it successfully.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:52 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

If the secondary AC fan is not turning on when the AC is on, then there would be insufficient air flow through the condenser at low speeds. When the car increases speed there is enough airflow and cools the condenser and your AC blows cold again.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:02 AM
Trial User

Thank you very much.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:55 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Also make sure you don't have any poor connections or bad solder joints in the AC control circuit. I've had/have the following issues with it...

- Poor connection in clutch itself on my CRX. If I jiggle the wire on the compressor, it kicks on.
- Poor connection in the AC button on my CRX. Had to disassemble, clean & re-grease the contacts inside.
- Poor connection on the soldering or switch in the HVAC control unit on my EG. I jam a wooden skewer to press on the circuit board and the compressor kicks on.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem on my previous accord that ended up with water leaking onto my passenger floor boards. Turns out it was condensation and the drain for the evaporator was plugged up resulting in a bunch of crud around the evaporator and ultimately an AC leak. I cleaned mine with a product like this https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-96030-Evaporator-Heater-Cleaner/dp/B0007PHD0S it might be worth a try. Although if the system was low you probably already have a leak somewhere.