Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

99 accord keep turning off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 accord keep turning off.

here my situation, maybe a fellow accord owner can help me out. my car keep turning off while i'm driving it. i've already done both recalls to fix the ignition problem, but i think it is still the ignition problem. reason why i think it is the ignition problem because when i put my key in and turn it over to the "I" and it is fine then i turn it to the "II", which should be the "ON" position and none of the light on my cluster comes on and if i turn the key half way before it hit the "START" position (when the engine crank) the light would come on, but once i let go of the key, all the light would turn right back off. would Honda fix this under the recall? or do i have to pay out of my pocket to get the ignition fix. and if i do have to get it fix would it be easy to do it myself or should i take it to Honda to get it done? I'm post this in several forum so don't flame me for it, I'm just trying to get an answer before i decide to get rid of the car or not.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Re: 99 accord keep turning off. (accordinglyevil)

When you turn on the engine, allow the ignition key to return just half way, so that the starter does not grind. If the engine keeps running, it's the electrical part of you ignition switch that is defective. Replacement is a fairly simple job.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 accord keep turning off. (gulfview)

yea it keeps running
Old 03-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To fix my problem do you guy think i need to replace part number 10? the switch.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i decided to change my ignition switch myself to see if that was the problem. this is after i've taken it to honda to do the safety recall on the ignition switch. this is taken from honda service bulletin for the recall, "Electrical contacts in the ignition switch can wear prematurely due to high electrical current passing through the switch. Worn out ignition contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning." look at what i found after taking out the old switch.

this is after honda said they already fixed the problem.

do you guys think i can write a letter to honda hq to make them pay me back for the money it cost to replace my ignition switch which honda should of taken care of it in the first place.

Long Beach Honda said me changing my steering wheel to the EP3 steering wheel is the problem of the car stalling on me. I called bullshit, but they wouldn't touch it, unless i pay for the diagnostic testing.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Noob...

I got the same problem. My car stalled both yesday and this morning. I call me dealer, since they had done a replacement during the recall, they now want to charge me $250 for replacing the ignition switch harness as shown on your picture. Please note that it is the harness behind the switch... NOT the switch itself. Replacing the entire switch would cost buku $$$ and require rekeying etc.

Anyway, my cousine who happen to sell parts, got me a used one that came out of a salvage (accident) car. I installed it just now. I will have to see in the next couple of days, weeks, or maybe months to see if the stall happens again. If it does, than it must be something else that's causing this.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey ultragc. just open up the old harness and look at it. if it look like mine then the harness would solve the problem.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (accordinglyevil)

Mind is not as bad as yours but I do see some wearing off. Also, doesn't seem like the spring in it is pushing loosing strength... it is not push the contact plate up evenly. Maybe that's what causing the problem.

Anyway, my replacement seems to work on the first day of driving... we'll have to see if it last.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Hmmmm

Heard of this happening tot he 6th gen and it was due to the ignition. Idk best have it checked at the dealership. Good luck!