Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

98 honda accord Heater panel issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 honda accord Heater panel issue

I turn the car on, some times the lights under the buttons show up, sometimes they dont. they flicker on and off randomly it seems... so I figured it was a short. I wrote it off as crappy but something that just I will deal with until I find the short.

Current working status. - Lights working - Everything works as normal, A/C, circulate, everything. Lights off, Fan power enabled, all buttons act as if they are off. Basicly blows air from outside what ever temp it is, inside. IF LIGHTS COME ON WHEN PREVIOUSLY OFF - It will default BACK to previous button position. If A/C WAS ON, It comes back on etc.

Then when I was driving the car last week (its parked for the winter - North Dakota.) to my shop, and I looked at the panel, and it was working, so heat was blowing, I looked at my panel, AND THE LIGHTS STARTED GOING ON AND OFF IN PATTERN.

PATTERN!!! I have absolutely no clue what would cause this. A relay is out? No idea. For 5 or 6 minutes, the heating panel IN SEQUENCE, turned on and off, as if showing me the turn signal from the cluster through the panel lights, and the heat came on and off repeatedly.

I have no idea what-so-ever why this would happen.

NONE.

Lookin for a guru to direct me.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 honda accord Heater panel issue

Heater control panel has a self-diagnosis function. (without auto temp function)
Turn ign sw ON (II)
Turn fan sw OFF, and the recirc control sw to Recirc (recirc indicator goes off) Continue to hold the switch until the recirc indicator comes on for 2 seconds, then it will blink the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) to indicate faulty component.If there is a trbl code it will bling 1, 2, or 3 times.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I did that, and it turned the lights back on. However there was not blinking. I did it 2 times. first time it turned on for 3 seconds, and then the lights went out.
2nd time it turned on and then stayed on, but nothing blinked.

Not sure where to go now
Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You probably need a new heater control panel. Manchester Motorsports wants $210 for a new one. You can probably source a used one for less than half of that. It's also possible the harness connector is loose. To check, pry out clock and release harness connectors. You should see one screw behind clock opening. Remove that screw. Remove lower dashboard cover, you can pry it off with a flat tip screw driver. You should see two screws holding center panel. Remove screws and pull out center panel to expose back of heater control panel. Check connector.

Last edited by jdowen2; 12-17-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: edification
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdowen2
You probably need a new heater control panel. Manchester Motorsports wants $210 for a new one. You can probably source a used one for less than half of that. It's also possible the harness connector is loose. To check, pry out clock and release harness connectors. You should see one screw behind clock opening. Remove that screw. Remove lower dashboard cover, you can pry it off with a flat tip screw driver. You should see two screws holding center panel. Remove screws and pull out center panel to expose back of heater control panel. Check connector.

All connectors legit. Its easy to get to the rear of the panel thanks to the jackass that broke into the car 2 yrs ago, and cracked the dashboard screw mounts off trying to get the deck out. Failed... but not before he put a screwdriver through the dash 20 times due to his lack of thief ability. Anyways... I have a friend with a 01 Accord, and I am going to swap the panel and see if it fixes the issue.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If someone was poking around with a screw driver look for any wires that might be nicked and possibly touching other wires or ground.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdowen2
If someone was poking around with a screw driver look for any wires that might be nicked and possibly touching other wires or ground.
1. I checked and it was all clean.
2. Does not explain the blinking light pattern on the console.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Due to North Dakota winter, I had it parked and just got it out again.
I took the entire unit apart, and discovered that when the guy jammed a screw driver into the stereo deck, he cracked the housing for the heating panel. So it is shorting out. I can get it to function upon command (aka bending till it turns on) but this cant be good long term.

So my obvious solution is replacement.

I have seen some Accords with climate control. What is needed to upgrade my console to this? Is it even possible? My trim is LX.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did take it apart and there is no damage to the circuit board at all... still shorting out. No idea why tho. I am guessing something fried. Anyways, any info on the upgraded console?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The EX climate control has entirely different harness connections, won't work.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thx