Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

'98 EX v6 3.0L Losing Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 '98 EX v6 3.0L Losing Power

Hello Honda Tech Community,

I am having a problem with my Honda Accord 1998 V6 3.0L EX Sedan.

I bought this car Thanksgiving of 2015 so not to long ago, and it had a problem were whenever i was driving for more than maybe 15-20 minutes it would lose power on the road. It was not a battery problem as the radio, lights, and everything else would be running fine, just the RPMs would drop out of no were and than would come back if you floored it. I read the codes it was giving me and it talked about the throttle position sensor. I have bought the piece maybe 1 month ago and got it installed.

It was running fine up until about a week ago now, its doing the same issue again. I thought it was the Throttle Position Sensor again but when i read the codes that the computer was giving me it says this:

Stored Codes: P0171 "System Too Lean Bank 1"

and

Pending Codes: P0170 "Fuel Trim Bank 1"

I have looked them up online but nothing comes up with a Honda Accord; a few different cars would come up but did not help. I would like to know if anyone in the community knows and can help me out with the problem as i do not plan to play a guessing game. I have also recently changed the Factory Intake to an aftermarket one but the problems still remain.

It only happens after the engine is warm maybe about 15-20 minutes of driving and it happens while driving and idle. It just drops the RPMs down to the floor but does not turn the car off or anything else (Such as lights, radio, nothing else fails). It has 138,XXX Miles

Please get back to me asap. For any other information PM me or reply in this topic.

Regards,
Ettevi Rosa
Old 01-30-2016, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '98 EX v6 3.0L Losing Power

Replace the O2 sensor, Clean your MAF, and inspect hoses, Air filter, fuel filter and such.
Also, have you ever adjusted your idle on the throttle body?
Old 01-30-2016, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vampire2o9
Replace the O2 sensor, Clean your MAF, and inspect hoses, Air filter, fuel filter and such.
Also, have you ever adjusted your idle on the throttle body?
I have looked up O2 Sensor, and i just found a video about it, however i am reading about a downstream and upstream sensor? Not really sure about that, could you explain? The video i have found only replaces one (upstream) sensor.

I have not changed the idle from the throttle body. Either way wouldnt it have given me problems from when i had installed it not nearly 3 weeks later? I have have checked hoses and replaced the Air filter, checked it as well and have not done anything with my fuel filter, i was going to change it completely but i found it perfectly fine when i checked it about a month ago.

So back to downstream and upstream, may you provide more information please?

Thanks for the instant feed back !!
Old 01-31-2016, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Primary or upstream is where the testing would start.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Primary or upstream is where the testing would start.
Alright, i also looked for the MAF but found that the my car doesn't have a MAF but rather only a MAP. Could the MAP be causing this problem? I have ordered the O2 Sensor as well as the tool to remove the current O2 Sensor, i will keep you guys updated on my progress as soon as i receive and install the O2 Sensor and give it a test drive i will let you all know. Thanks for the help!

If anyone can think of anything else please let me know!
Old 02-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RTevi
Hello Honda Tech Community,

I am having a problem with my Honda Accord 1998 V6 3.0L EX Sedan.

I bought this car Thanksgiving of 2015 so not to long ago, and it had a problem were whenever i was driving for more than maybe 15-20 minutes it would lose power on the road. It was not a battery problem as the radio, lights, and everything else would be running fine, just the RPMs would drop out of no were and than would come back if you floored it. I read the codes it was giving me and it talked about the throttle position sensor. I have bought the piece maybe 1 month ago and got it installed.

It was running fine up until about a week ago now, its doing the same issue again. I thought it was the Throttle Position Sensor again but when i read the codes that the computer was giving me it says this:

Stored Codes: P0171 "System Too Lean Bank 1"

and

Pending Codes: P0170 "Fuel Trim Bank 1"

I have looked them up online but nothing comes up with a Honda Accord; a few different cars would come up but did not help. I would like to know if anyone in the community knows and can help me out with the problem as i do not plan to play a guessing game. I have also recently changed the Factory Intake to an aftermarket one but the problems still remain.

It only happens after the engine is warm maybe about 15-20 minutes of driving and it happens while driving and idle. It just drops the RPMs down to the floor but does not turn the car off or anything else (Such as lights, radio, nothing else fails). It has 138,XXX Miles

Please get back to me asap. For any other information PM me or reply in this topic.

Regards,
Ettevi Rosa
Old 02-01-2016, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My dad had the same 98 accord with a similar issue. The car would suddenly stop , his pr
Old 02-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My dad had the same 98 accord with a similar issue. The car would suddenly stop , his problem had to do with the ignition and key loosing connection which lead the engine to shutoff but kept the power on as there was still a battery connection.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RTevi
Alright, i also looked for the MAF but found that the my car doesn't have a MAF but rather only a MAP. Could the MAP be causing this problem? I have ordered the O2 Sensor as well as the tool to remove the current O2 Sensor, i will keep you guys updated on my progress as soon as i receive and install the O2 Sensor and give it a test drive i will let you all know. Thanks for the help!

If anyone can think of anything else please let me know!
I never said anything about a MAF - another poster did and I didn't feel like correcting them.

Follow the service manual procedures for testing the code(s) you have........
Old 02-13-2016, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i have ordered the O2 Sensor and received it, i replaced it.

After a good 3 days of testing the car and using it for a good, 45 minutes to an hour all three days, it seems as the problem was caused by the O2 Sensor Upstream. (At least the second time i had this problem.) The first time i had this problem it was the Throttle Position Sensor in case if anyone has this type of problem with a Honda Accord.

Thank you all here very much on your support and responses!

Regards,
RTevi