Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

98 Accord same stock engine swap now tranny problem... help???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Accord same stock engine swap now tranny problem... help???

Hello,

My engine recently went on my 1998 Accord 4cy vtec w/o ULEV (AUTOMATIC TRANNY). I purchased a used engine from the junkyard and had someone do the swap for me. I had no previous transmission problems at all. Now the swap consists of a stock engine, nothing extra, nothing special. The only additions were an aluminum radiator and having my O2 sensors hooked back up.

I arrived on the back end of the final stages. The engine was already in, just a few odds and ends being tied up like adding fluids and such, but prior to engine startup. Everything was good. Started right up, first try. No check engine lights, sounded great. We throw the hood back on and go to back it out the garage and NADA. The car just revved up when I stepped on the gas and did not move an inch. The shifter moved fine through all the gears.

However, when I placed the shifter back to park, it made a loud noise, almost like a grinding noise. We immediately turned the car off. Checked the fluids, we ending up having to add more tranny fluids, but that did not solve the problem, except now the D4 was blinking!

I'm not good at all the engine, tranny, technical stuff. So I'm turning to the boards for help. I thought it would be something simple since the swap guy was only removing and bolting up the tranny to the new engine. I hope that I don't have to get a new tranny because that would suck and hurt my pockets real good.

So far, this is what I gathered. It could still maybe need more tranny fluid. We used the stuff from Exxon, only because that was the only place open. I read somewhere that I should only use Honda ATF, but is that really the case? The guy doing my swap says it could possibly be the shift solenoids, but we have to wait until next weekend because that's the only time we can work on it. The only other things I read I don't think were related, something about taking the ECU out and plugging it back in and something else about a #6 fuse?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 PM

any ideas?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cb1999nj)

d4 blinking should be the shift solenoid code.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:08 PM

thank you so much... i'll look into that!