Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

97 Accord remote not turning alarm off

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:53 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Accord remote not turning alarm off

97 Accord. Factory alarm. The only way to turn it off when it comes on is to press the unlock button on the remote. I've tried putting the key in the ignition and turning the key like everybody says but it doesn't work. Now the remote won't turn it off. I tried replacing the battery in the remote. It still doesn't work. I've tried removing the radio fuses, that doesn't work. Does any body know if the alarm can be disabled without completely new equipment? Right now I have the battery cable off because nothing will turn the alarm off and my neighbors are getting pissed.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 Accord remote not turning alarm off

Has the alarm its separate siren? If yes then you can disconnect it to get rid of the noise. These sirens have an small battery inside so they will start working the moment they are disconnected: this only last for a minute or two until the little battery is out of juice..
Old 11-04-2009, 11:23 AM
New User

Not sure if it's separate. There is no siren though. The horn just sounds, beep...beep...beep... If I just disconnect the horn the car still won't start because the alarm is active right?

Last edited by monkeytoes; 11-04-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add to
Old 11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, forget my suggestion: your alarm works via your car's horn. If the alarm is active then indeed the starter motor will not crank the engine.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some alarms are factory fitted by modifying the wiring after the car leaves the production line. In that case a couple of original (thick) car wires are cut and the wire ends are connected to the thin black wires of the alarm system. These modifications can be seen when looking under the driver's side dashboard.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be a disarm/reset switch located under the dash. (The installer may have installed the switch somewhere different than the picture for the 1997 Accord security system.) Insert your key in the ignition, while pressing the disarm switch, turn the ignition to on. It should reset.

Here is an image of it and link to installation instructions:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/.../18016_01.html

Most aftermarket alarms are similar too, in that they have a reset button located somewhere under the dash.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2016, 10:32 AM
Trial User

I know this is an OLD dead thread, but it's near the top of the Google search and many people will read thru in search of an answer to their problem... I hope this will be of some help to others.
So, my son has only had his Accord for a week and the other night after work his alarm was set off (repeated horn honking). No user manual in the car. He removed the fuse labeled SECURITY (#18, driver's side footwell panel) but the alarm continued and car wouldn't start.
The next day I met him at the car armed with 3 pages of Googled suggestions (some from Honda-Tech!) of how to disable the alarm. We looked under the driver's seat- even removed the seat and some carpet from the car. No alarm control unit there. Also, on the lower left of center dashboard there is Not an alarm Reset/Disable button as the drawing shows on several sites. BTW, Not under the passenger seat either.
OKAY, so all he had to do was insert his key in the driver door lock and turn the key to Lock and then Unlock. Voila!
Apparently the alarm Auto-activated after he parked and shut all doors. Later when he came out talking to co-workers he leaned on the door and set the alarm off. Next time he'll know what to do.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by ClimberBill
I know this is an OLD dead thread, but it's near the top of the Google search and many people will read thru in search of an answer to their problem... I hope this will be of some help to others.
So, my son has only had his Accord for a week and the other night after work his alarm was set off (repeated horn honking). No user manual in the car. He removed the fuse labeled SECURITY (#18, driver's side footwell panel) but the alarm continued and car wouldn't start.
The next day I met him at the car armed with 3 pages of Googled suggestions (some from Honda-Tech!) of how to disable the alarm. We looked under the driver's seat- even removed the seat and some carpet from the car. No alarm control unit there. Also, on the lower left of center dashboard there is Not an alarm Reset/Disable button as the drawing shows on several sites. BTW, Not under the passenger seat either.
OKAY, so all he had to do was insert his key in the driver door lock and turn the key to Lock and then Unlock. Voila!
Apparently the alarm Auto-activated after he parked and shut all doors. Later when he came out talking to co-workers he leaned on the door and set the alarm off. Next time he'll know what to do.

this is the best reply. This worked exactly as described. Thank you