Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

96 honda accord wont crank

Old 07-10-2019, 06:42 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 honda accord wont crank

I have a 96 Honda Accord LX. A few weeks ago, my son drove it to town, ( about 10 miles) and parked it . About 10 minutes later it would not crank. Turns over but wont crank fully.
I went and we looked at it, after looking at the fuse and putting it back in ( it was fine) then car cranked and we drove it home. It drove fine for about a week. Then he comes out one day for work and it wont crank.
It turns over but wont crank.
A little history on the car, I bought it in February for $300. It wouldn't crank, was told it was the ECU. Replaced the ECU, it would run and and cut off after 15 minutes. we then replaced the switch, the main relay, and finally the distributor.
It has ran fine for a few months, but wasn't driven daily. For the last month it has been driven daily. The gas hand is stuck on full and has been since we bought it.

What could be the problem? fuel pump maybe? We cant hear it buzz when turning the switch. But would the fuel pump cause it to not crank then allow it to crank and then stop again a week later?
I was told to try the fuel pump relay but its the same as the main relay which was replaced a few months ago.

Any advice is appreciated ! Thanks!
Old 07-10-2019, 03:54 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 96 honda accord wont crank

Originally Posted by tlynn46 View Post
It turns over but wont crank.
Do you mean it won't start?
Turning over and cranking are the same.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Trial User

It does not start. Tries but doesnt.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:24 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it only do it when hot?
Does it always start when cold?
What is the mileage?
What maintenance has been done? Last time valves were checked/adjusted? FSM states 90Kmiles, best to check every 30K.

If you can hear the pump priming when the key is turned to II(ON) and while the CEL/D4 lamps illuminate and then shuts off when the CEL/D4 lamps turn out then the main relay and pump are most likely fine.
Have you checked for spark? Pull a plug wire, pull a plug, reinsert plug into wire, ground plug to vehicle ground(valve cover is fine), have someone crank the engine over. Should have a blueish white spark.
Verify the air cleaner if free and clear of debris.

If all three check out then it may be a mechanical issue.
When the engine cranks, does it have the typical sinusoidal sound of an engine going through the compression strokes or does it spin rather quickly and freely?
Have you had a compression or leak down test done.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:00 PM
Trial User

No, as I stated we cant hear the pump priming when we turn on the key. I bought the vehicle February so I don't know what has been done to it before that. It does not start at all, hot or cold.
I haven't checked for a spark as I am not very mechanically minded... We are going to purchase a fuel pump today and see it that fixes the issue.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it..a honda fp lasts many years..do what the above posts states..check the main relay first..spark?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: