Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

96 accord won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 accord won't start

Hi, My problem is my 96 accord won't start. It turns but won't start. I have checked each and every spark plug wire to see if there was fire and there is fire, I just dont know y it won't start. I have done the following things.

1- changed spark plugs.
2- changed fuel pump main relay(under the dash).
3- pulled out alternator and had it check at AutoZone and it passed the test 3 times.
4- changed the fuel filter thinking it was cloged.
5- replaced the old battery with a brand new battery.
Battery was changed b4 I pulled the alternator and had it checked and b4 I changed the fuel filter. The day I changed the battery it started. I took it out for a ride came back and tried to start again the next day and nothing, the same problem. Today 5/16/2010 I had checked the alternator and changed the fuel filter just to make sure fuel is coming.

I don't know what else to do so plz help.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 accord won't start

Just a thought - Have you checked the fuel pressure? If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge try squirting carburetor cleaner or starter fluid directly into the throttle body and see if it offers to start. If it does then you know your problem is fuel related.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cctgene
Just a thought - Have you checked the fuel pressure? If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge try squirting carburetor cleaner or starter fluid directly into the throttle body and see if it offers to start. If it does then you know your problem is fuel related.
i agree with you. i do this to quickly diagnose a fuel issue ...or something else if the same results occur (no start). however, i believe he may have other isues
Old 05-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your battery clamps to see if they are tight. you didnt say if the engine cranks or not while attempting to start. did you check the volts on the battery? if it is low, you have an alternator wire issue...or the brushes in the alt are bad. i know you had the alt checked but sometimes their machine is wrong because the brushes are right at the point of worn out where sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. or possibly you have bad alt wiring like a bad or loose ground on the alt (that 8mm nut holding that one wire on the back of the alt). or a loose alt belt. check all that and get back to us so we can rule this stuff out.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's not talk about problems with battery cables.

Car turns over. Says so in first post. Likely intermittent ignition problem.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phootbag
Let's not talk about problems with battery cables.

Car turns over. Says so in first post. Likely intermittent ignition problem.
good point LOL i didnt catch that the engine turns in the first post LOL
Old 05-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright guys I just used the starting fluid trick and it started for 2 sec and died, I did it about couple of times to get it started but it always died. Plz advise what next. What all can I do fuel related.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lalonaruto
Alright guys I just used the starting fluid trick and it started for 2 sec and died, I did it about couple of times to get it started but it always died. Plz advise what next. What all can I do fuel related.
check that the fuel relay is good (i think its part of the main relay) check that the fuel pump is good after you know the relay is good, and check that the fuel filter is not clogged( i know you changed it but double check you did it correct and dont have a fuel leak). if thats good, the the ecu may be bad but thats a long-shot. check all the relays under the hood as well so that you know they are good. just the main relays, and anything related to the ecu. the main relay is under the dash
Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this mght sound dumb but check the fuel filter, on it will be an arrow pointing at which way the fuel flows. Just make sure you didnt put it on the opposite way. I dont know if Hondas have that or not but I know the GM's do.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
check that the fuel relay is good (i think its part of the main relay) check that the fuel pump is good after you know the relay is good, and check that the fuel filter is not clogged( i know you changed it but double check you did it correct and dont have a fuel leak). if thats good, the the ecu may be bad but thats a long-shot. check all the relays under the hood as well so that you know they are good. just the main relays, and anything related to the ecu. the main relay is under the dash
I checked the fuel pump relay under the hood, also Checkedb all the fuses and relays what ever they may b for none seems to b burnt or any thing. Also made sure there were no leaks by the fuel filter.

Last edited by lalonaruto; 05-18-2010 at 05:54 AM. Reason: More info added
Old 05-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Buddhamania
I know this mght sound dumb but check the fuel filter, on it will be an arrow pointing at which way the fuel flows. Just make sure you didnt put it on the opposite way. I dont know if Hondas have that or not but I know the GM's do.
The way the duel filter goes on this car there is no way I put it wrong.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you check the main relay under the dash? also, how did you check that the relays are good? there is a way to check but i just want to make sure you did it correct. you cant see through the relay so i'm just wondering how you checked them. but this one under the dash (the main) needs to be checked
Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does your fuel pump even run? You should be able to hear it run for a few seconds when you put your ignition key in the run position.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

did you check the main relay under the dash? also, how did you check that the relays are good? there is a way to check but i just want to make sure you did it correct. you cant see through the relay so i'm just wondering how you checked them. but this one under the dash (the main) needs to be checked
2- changed fuel pump main relay(under the dash)
Old 05-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn i gotta have coffee before i post huh? LOL
Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Trial User

I figured instead of starting a new thread I would post in here since having some type problems

96 accord lx 2dr auto my gf car
if the check engine light was on car would crank but not start and if you waited for CEL to go away sometimes takes a few mins sometimes takes awhile it would start. Well it quit starting she took it to her mechanic. Said fuel pump was gone replaced it and now car still won't run. I asked if he tried starter fluid in tb to start said it does but. Not pulling fuel on it's own. Said he pluged in his scanners and it's not reading the ecu. Thinks it MIT need a new ecu but is gonna check some more things

Anyone have any clues what could be wrong? Thanks in advance Drew
Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 03srt-4
I figured instead of starting a new thread I would post in here since having some type problems

96 accord lx 2dr auto my gf car
if the check engine light was on car would crank but not start and if you waited for CEL to go away sometimes takes a few mins sometimes takes awhile it would start. Well it quit starting she took it to her mechanic. Said fuel pump was gone replaced it and now car still won't run. I asked if he tried starter fluid in tb to start said it does but. Not pulling fuel on it's own. Said he pluged in his scanners and it's not reading the ecu. Thinks it MIT need a new ecu but is gonna check some more things

Anyone have any clues what could be wrong? Thanks in advance Drew
check the main PGM-FI relay under the dash then let us know. i dont think its the ECU so start here since the fuel pump is new
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Trial User

check the main PGM-FI relay under the dash then let us know. i dont think its the ECU so start here since the fuel pump is new
I told my gf to tell him to check the pgm-fi and mechanic said checked that yesterday along with ignition system
Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi guys, sorry it took me a little while to get back with you guys. Well today I went ahead and changed my fuel pump and guess what the piece of s**t did not start. So obviously the stupid fuel pump is not getting power to come on. So plz help I am tired
Old 05-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To Original Poster;

I would like to go back a bit to the start of your symptom and the time leading up to it.

What exactly happened when the symptom began?

What is the service history of the vehicle? What work was done prior to the no-start condition, up to a year before? ( Not including the work trying to repair the current no-start condition ).

Exactly what have you confirmed as working? Can you confirm spark at the tip of the spark plug? Can you confirm fuel pressure? Are there any DTC's? What is the battery voltage? What is the battery voltage while cranking the car?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phootbag
To Original Poster;

I would like to go back a bit to the start of your symptom and the time leading up to it.

What exactly happened when the symptom began?

What is the service history of the vehicle? What work was done prior to the no-start condition, up to a year before? ( Not including the work trying to repair the current no-start condition ).

Exactly what have you confirmed as working? Can you confirm spark at the tip of the spark plug? Can you confirm fuel pressure? Are there any DTC's? What is the battery voltage? What is the battery voltage while cranking the car?
Well as far as I remember one day I tried to start the car and it would nor start at the first try as it has always did on one turn of the key. I tried couple of times and it started I thought may be low on gas so I filled the tank up, then one morning I took it to work and that afternoon I tried to start it and it did not start at first try. After few tries I got it running and came home next morning it did not start at all. And that's it.

I have checked spark on all four plugs.

The battery is brand new changed on the 16th of may it might b a little low on voltage as I have been messin with the car for few days now, I am gonna have it recharged tomorrow and try to start it again.

Do you think there might b a short in any wire leading to the fuel pump that it is nor coming on?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can confirm spark, timing most likely did not develop a problem since the problem was intermittent at first, compression is usually not a problem, air is extremely rarely a problem. I would check for fuel pressure.

You stated that you suspected the fuel pump was bad. Can you confirm that the fuel pump is recieving power and ground for about two seconds when the key is turned to the ON posittion using a multimeter? A voltage drop test is preferable. And, is just as easy.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have to say a pcm or distributor not sending the correct fuel signal to turn the pump on.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Plz tell how to check if I am getting the required voltage to the fuel pump. And can I follow the wire that lead to my fuel pump.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ps.
If there is a diagram available it would b very helpful. Thankx

Quick Reply: 96 accord won't start