Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

'96 Accord trans slipping and hard shifting

Old 01-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Accord trans slipping and hard shifting

My '96 Accord EX V6 with 140k miles and the auto trans slips. If I'm going say 40 mph, then slow down to 30 mph, and accelerate again, the trans will downshift but slip pretty bad. It will rev up and then catch into gear harshly. I know the transmissions are infamous for hard shifting, but I was wondering if there was a fix, or something that will at least help. I tried some trans additive stuff and it didn't do crap. Would flushing the fluid and changing the trans filter do anything, or would it be a waste of time and money? If I should flush it, is there a way to manually drain the fluid without using a trans flush machine?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: '96 Accord trans slipping and hard shifting

rebuild it.......
Old 01-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 69GTOby
My '96 Accord EX V6 with 140k miles and the auto trans slips. If I'm going say 40 mph, then slow down to 30 mph, and accelerate again, the trans will downshift but slip pretty bad. It will rev up and then catch into gear harshly. I know the transmissions are infamous for hard shifting, but I was wondering if there was a fix, or something that will at least help. I tried some trans additive stuff and it didn't do crap. Would flushing the fluid and changing the trans filter do anything, or would it be a waste of time and money? If I should flush it, is there a way to manually drain the fluid without using a trans flush machine?
Have you confirmed that the trans is properly filled with fluid? I've seen low fluid cause this.

There is no way to completely drain a Honda transmission The majority remains in the Torque Converter.

I have to agree that ultimately it may have to be rebuilt, but that doesn't mean that there's nothing to be tried.
There are two Solenoid packs which control (not only) shifts, but Torque Converter lock-up as well. They have filter screens under them. It is not inconcievable that one or both of these screens could have caught debris (as they are designed to do) and are restricting fluid flow to the system. Refer:

Name:  90-97ACCORDShiftSolenoids.gif
Views: 7162
Size:  30.0 KB

#5 and #7

They are located below the distributor.
It's worth a shot Yes?

P
Old 01-04-2009, 10:23 AM

I wouldn't know if it is worth a shot or not. I'd say yes, it's worth a shot, but my say is not very credible since I don't know transmissions very well. Do you think the trans is on its last leg? I thought these problems were normal for aged Honda automatic transmissions. If I replace the filters and flush the trans (using a trans flush machine which I do have access to), maybe it would help it out or even fix the problems. If it doesn't help, then I'll drive it until it needs a new trans.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rebuild it or find one at junkyard with less miles and replace..Its on its way out...
Old 01-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NO!!! DO NOT replace the tranny before you do a FULL tranny flush!!! This will be a huge waste of money if you do. My friend has a civic that would shift really hard and eventually stopped shifting all together, it was a AT. They got a flush and it worked like a brand new tranny!! Make sure you use HONDA AT fluid
Old 01-09-2009, 06:19 AM

Really?? Your friends tranny must have been low on fluid to not shift at all but then be cured after a flush. What kind of fluid should I use? Where is the best place to access and tap into the tranny lines to flush it with a machine? I really hope this is not a waste of time and money, but I guess it is worth the risk.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Really?? Your friends tranny must have been low on fluid to not shift at all but then be cured after a flush. What kind of fluid should I use? Where is the best place to access and tap into the tranny lines to flush it with a machine? I really hope this is not a waste of time and money, but I guess it is worth the risk.
I too was ready to suggest a power flush as well; but I'm often taken to task by purists that insist on the Honda Mulit-fluid change proceedure.

I've used the machine supplied by BG Automotive. I use their additive (ATC+) and Honda ATF exclusively. Some use the Lucas additive.

I offer my customers the choice, but I've had no problems to date with flushing.

P
Old 01-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or you can use GM syncromesh.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I still have not given this problem any attention. I have decided to go ahead and flush the trans. I was just looking back at an old service record the previous owner gave me stating that at 90,301 miles (the car now has 147,000) an "auto trans complete flush" was performed using "oil ATF DEX III." You guys were recommending Honda ATF or "GM syncromesh." I work at a Chevy dealer and can use their ATF IV, or whatever it is, for free. Would that work? If not, how many quarts of Honda ATF will I require? Also, where is a good location to tap into the trans cooler lines? Thanks!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes....I am cringing reading this.

ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY use Honda ATF fluid. And NEVER flush the transmission.

Places other than Honda use a standard generic tranny fluid and add additives to TRY and make it like the Honda fluid. Other fluids will cause a noticeable negative effect on transmission shifting such as slippage and weird shift points.

Flushing the transmission will destroy it in no time. There is a filter in the transmission that cannot be replaced unless you take it apart. Flushing a tranny destroys that filter which kills the transmission.

If you dont believe me, call Honda, or look on other forums. THE quickest way to ruin your auto trans is non Honda fluid and flushing a tranny.

Yes, Honda ATF is about $7 a quart, but a new transmission is about $3,000. Dont be cheap on a transmission as it is the most costly and fragile part of the driveline.

To properly change the fluid you need to drain, refill w/ 3 quarts of HONDA ATF, drive 100 miles, and repeat 2x. Then you are good to go for 15-10k miles. Or you can change the fluid once a year.

Want a longer tranny life? Add a transmission cooler. $40 = good investment.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by car5car
Castrol makes ATF for Hondas. It says on bottle label. It is a big reputable company and I am sure they know about ATF.
There are plenty of fluids that say they will work for Honda. The fact is, it wont be the same, and will cause more problems. Just like the crap fluid they sell at 10 minute oil change places and then add additives. The horror stories I have heard.....
Old 03-28-2009, 04:35 AM

So, Precision Auto put generic fluid in my car at 90,000 miles. And that is waht is most likely responsible for my problems. What a shame! Okay, so now I'll buy some Honda ATF and not FLUSH but drain and refill the trans a few times, and that should fix the problem??
Old 03-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, Precision Auto put generic fluid in my car at 90,000 miles. And that is waht is most likely responsible for my problems. What a shame! Okay, so now I'll buy some Honda ATF and not FLUSH but drain and refill the trans a few times, and that should fix the problem??
^ See, NON Honda fluid kills transmissions in no time, you didn't mention that eariler. How long was the junk fluid in there for? Did they flush or simply drain and refill it?

If they flushed it that means there are quite a few quarts of that stuff in there. I am thinking about 9. But yes, you need to drain and refill it a minimum of 3 times and its going to be expensive. 9 quarts x $7.28 = $65.52. But it will be worth saving the tranny.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:28 AM

I didn't provide that information earlier because I didn't know about it. Had I know the trans was flushed in the past I definitely would have included that information. Out of curiousity, I just went looking through old service records the previous owner gave me, and I discovered that piece of info.

$65, no problem if it means saving the tranny. The repair order sheet said it was done at 90,000 miles, it now has 146,000 miles. Still worth it??
Old 03-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't provide that information earlier because I didn't know about it. Had I know the trans was flushed in the past I definitely would have included that information. Out of curiousity, I just went looking through old service records the previous owner gave me, and I discovered that piece of info.

$65, no problem if it means saving the tranny. The repair order sheet said it was done at 90,000 miles, it now has 146,000 miles. Still worth it??

I didnt mean to come off harsh if it sounded like that.

That is quite a long time to be running that fluid. Really, the only way to tell is to either change the fluid or open up the tranny.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:59 AM

Will I need to use a power flush machine, or can I just drain and refill the trans on jack stands at home? How many quarts will I need of Honda ATF? I'm here at work now, so I'm going to have parts get me some fluid from Honda.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:37 AM

Okay I just got 9 quarts coming. It only cost me 50 bucks from Honda - employee discount. Sweet!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:49 AM

I drained some fluid out of the drain plug. Now do I refill it thru the dipstick tube?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:56 PM

Got it, thanks guys! And how often should I do the 3 quart drain and refill, every 100 miles, a total of 3 or 4 times? It feels better already
Old 04-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got it, thanks guys! And how often should I do the 3 quart drain and refill, every 100 miles, a total of 3 or 4 times? It feels better already
I drained and refilled mine, and it was suggested to do it once a year. Based on what you and others have said, I'd give it time to circulate and drain it as soon as you have time. Maybe be gentle, run through some gear changes, and then drain it.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you got a discount and have already changed it! :D

You need to change it w/ 3 quarts, 3 times.

I would recommend changing it every 150-200 miles at the very most.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 PM

WOW!! All I did was drain and refill my trans 1 time. I only got about 3 quarts out of it, thus I only put in about 3 quarts of Honda ATF, and the results are incredible! The trans shifts much, much better and smoother. It's a night and day difference. Thanks to everyone for all the help!! Now I just need to drain and refill a few more times and the issue will be successfully solved.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome! Be sure to do it at least 2 more times and you should be good to go!

Not to ruin your happiness, but the junk fluid more than likely took some life off of your transmission
Old 06-04-2013, 06:50 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 9602ACCORD93CIV
so i stinkin' have a 96 accord and that pile threw a cel for trans input turbine sensor. woulnt get outta second gear.
On the right side cover of the AT there are two sensors called NM and NC.

These two sensors monitor the two main shaft speeds of the transmission and dictate when to shift.
'NC' is the input/primary/turbine shaft sensor
'NM' is the output/secondary shaft sensor

They are both halls effect devices, these can accumulate ferrous material on the ends which loses resolution creating shift issues. It is best to pull both sensors and verify they are free of crud, wipe them down and install two new O rings Honda part # 91309-PX4-003 O-RING (16X2.1) (NOK). You will not lose any fluid as they are above the sump. They may be a PITA to remove. Also check their resistance
Originally Posted by TechAuto
should be within 400-600 Ohms at 20-degrees C