Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

96 accord - oil loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 accord - oil loss

96 accord, 210k miles (i've owned it since ~100k about 8yrs), 4 cyl manual transmission, 5W-30 amsoil last 5+ yrs, runs very well, except.....

I lost 1qt of oil in 800 miles (from last oil change). I only drove it 300 miles last year and when i went to change it, the oil was very low (barely on the dipstick). I ran amsoils engine oil flush through it at that time. Ever since it appears as though my engine has been running cooler than normal. Anyways.....there are no leak spots under the car where i park my car in my garage every night. There is no colored smoke out tailpipe, occasionally I get white vapor out the tail pipe but it is usually only in the morning (when cold). I haven't seen it since it has been warming up. I smell a little burnt oil occassionally at stop signs/lights, ....but it is not consistent or very strong. Car is still idling, accelerating, holding speed very well.

There is a lot of black residue in the tailpipe (especially compared to my 2005 toyota highlander) and I've replaced the catalytic converter 2 times and the CEL is on now saying that the catalyst efficiency is low. I had a TPS (throttle position sensor) go bad ,which caused excessive fuel consumption, 4 or so years ago and I drove with it bad for 2 years. I thought this is why my cat was being used up. I finally replaced the whole throttle body with a used one for a junkyard (I had problems with one i tried to buy from an online store as Honda only sells the full throttle body for >$500..anyways). It still may or may not have been related to excessive fuel consumption/TPS issue. It only took a couple months before the CEL came back on after the cat was replaced the last time. Maybe it's the oil?

PCV valve was replaced with one from autozone. the valve on the inside still seems to move when i suck the end of the tube. i was thinking some oil my blow by.

I have oil in the spark plug tubes sitting on my spark plugs. I've replaced the valve cover gasket package a couple times and have never fully gotten rid of this problem. It doesn't seem to keep filling though. Could oil be seaping into my cylinder from this?

when checking the car from underneath, I see oil grime all over the oil pan mating surface. There is also a little oil underneath the distributor and on the bottom of the timing belt cover (which is below the oil fill so this could be from spill). I didn't notice any oil on top of the oil filter which would've dripped from the oil sending unit. I wiped this oil/grime up so i could check it in a couple days to see if it returns.

I've never replaced the timing belt....could the seals in their be causing this much leakage without having an oil spot?

Also, my original clutch started chattering a little last year after washing the engine. I say this because I read somewhere oil could get in it. Or maybe water just got in it. I had to ride the clutch to get the car home. I will never wash a car engine again...anyways. I wandered if oil was somehow getting in it?

I've read conflicting information about piston rings, valve stem seals, rear main oil seals, PCV valves, etc with how each of these could contribute to losing oil. Sorry for the book of information, but getting to the right solution requires gathering all the facts.

Thanks for any help, Justin
Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 accord - oil loss

You definitely need to replace the timing belt, and while you're at it, replace the water pump. You're quite a bit overdue, as the timing belt should be replaced around 90K miles.

The oil in the spark plug tubes could be the result of bad o-rings or lower tube rings. If you google for "oil in spark plug holes honda accord", you'll find quite a few good links that, most likely, will bring you back to this forum. If you haven't replaced your spark plug wires recently, you might want to do it. If you check the FAQ, you'll find a write up on how to replace the tube seals. Should take about 1-2 hours.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of water clean it with brake or carb cleaner to see where the leak, if any, is.

With that said, if it's burning oil enough to ruin the cat then you probably have a bad headgasket, bad rings, or bad seal(s). Run a compression test, I bet you're losing compression. If you're losing compression, do a leakdown test to pinpoint where it's leaking.

If you don't know how or want a refresher then this guy has a really good video on both:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_tbksFYhl4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgrfT0LFMhc
Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kegobeer
The oil in the spark plug tubes could be the result of bad o-rings or lower tube rings. If you google for "oil in spark plug holes honda accord", you'll find quite a few good links that, most likely, will bring you back to this forum. If you haven't replaced your spark plug wires recently, you might want to do it. If you check the FAQ, you'll find a write up on how to replace the tube seals. Should take about 1-2 hours.
From the first post- "I've replaced the valve cover gasket package a couple times". This package should include the plug seals.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally did my compression test. I only did the dry test and the engine was cold...... but it resulted in 200 psi +/- a couple psi on each cylinder. I figure that since they were all close to the same, the rings and valve seats are good. Any other suggestions? What do you mean when you say bad seals? How can I check if my valve guide seals are bad? I'm curious if my exhaust valve seal or guide is worn out?
Old 05-28-2011, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jc164800
I finally did my compression test. I only did the dry test and the engine was cold...... but it resulted in 200 psi +/- a couple psi on each cylinder. I figure that since they were all close to the same, the rings and valve seats are good. Any other suggestions? What do you mean when you say bad seals? How can I check if my valve guide seals are bad? I'm curious if my exhaust valve seal or guide is worn out?
What model is this,EX,LX,SE,DX? As the F22b2(LX,SE,DX) has lower tube seals, this could be where your oil is coming from in the spark plug wells. The EX F22B1 does not have the lower tube seals. And if you smell oil burning you probably have oil dripping on you exhaust. look at the oil pressure switch, oil filter, or oil pan gasket for leaks these are all common places for leaks.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your rear main seal is leaking there will be oil dripping out from the clutch cover plate on the transmission bell housing. Keep in mind that power steering oil leaking from the pump often ends up dripping down the timing cover. Your distributor seals are probably leaking as well.

But I would bet that most of your oil is leaking out of the exhaust valve seals, hitting your cat and burning it up. Rule out the intake valve seals. That will foul the hell out of the spark plugs in whatever cylinder is leaking. Pull off your header and check the runners/ports.

As for your original clutch it's probably time for a new one. Service life on those is only supposed to be 120K or so for OEM.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jmb106jr
What model is this,EX,LX,SE,DX? As the F22b2(LX,SE,DX) has lower tube seals, this could be where your oil is coming from in the spark plug wells. The EX F22B1 does not have the lower tube seals. And if you smell oil burning you probably have oil dripping on you exhaust. look at the oil pressure switch, oil filter, or oil pan gasket for leaks these are all common places for leaks.
It is an LX F22B2. I think it is the lower tube seals too, because when i replaced the valve cover gasket set in the past i only changed the upper seals. I wandered why i had leftover seals in the kit!!!! I will check for oil leaks again ASAP.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chikin pickle
If your rear main seal is leaking there will be oil dripping out from the clutch cover plate on the transmission bell housing. Keep in mind that power steering oil leaking from the pump often ends up dripping down the timing cover. Your distributor seals are probably leaking as well.

But I would bet that most of your oil is leaking out of the exhaust valve seals, hitting your cat and burning it up. Rule out the intake valve seals. That will foul the hell out of the spark plugs in whatever cylinder is leaking. Pull off your header and check the runners/ports.

As for your original clutch it's probably time for a new one. Service life on those is only supposed to be 120K or so for OEM.
I'm thinking oil is leaking out of my exhaust valves too, since my spark plugs look in good condition. However, I figured there would be smoke out the tailpipe on start up. Does synthetic oil smoke?

Yeah, I need to replace my timing belt and clutch!!!!

I will update as soon as I can check more stuff out.