Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

96 Accord front side marker not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Accord front side marker not working

Hello all, my name is Joe and I was looking for some help with my 96 Honda Accord EX. I will fill out my introductory post for details on the state of the vehicle but the bottom line is that it is time to replace the headlights because they were so dingy, fix the side marker light because it was not flashing for turn or hazard, and fix the bumper. The rear of the car is still in great condition, all of the lights work, the side markers flash and the hazard lights flash. So I managed to get the front end off and the headlights removed. The bumper turn signals have been missing since I got it. There was a shade tree mechanic that set some little lights in the bumper for me but he did not secure them enough so they came out in no time and with that on the driver's side the connector for the bumper light was lost and it looks like he had spliced the wires to get what was there working any way. So I know there I need to fix some wiring. The left side bumper light works and appears to be the original wiring.
Well until I can find the right connector I need to put everything back together. So I start to do so and to test everything out I put the new bulbs on the headlights and the side markers. Well the headlights work perfectly, the parking light in the side marker lights up as it should.
My Problem however is that the bulb in the side marker that goes in the amber section is not coming on ever, so it does not flash for turn signals or the hazard lights. On the driver side the dash light flashes rapidly, I figure for the bumper wiring problem. On the left side the dash flashes normally, the new bulb I put on the bumper turn signal on the left flashes, but the side marker does not flash or come on at all.
So my assessment from research, please let me know if any of these things sound like the solution or any other suggestions.
- The new bulbs and sockets may be the wrong voltage
- There is a fuse to be replaced (which one)
- There is a relay to be worked on / replaced
- perhaps the connector has corrosion (any way to clean this?)
- replace the connectors (I have had a hard time determining where to get the appropriate replacement, I could not seem to find a connector that matched any where.)
- The wires on the driver side that were spliced is to blame for a short?

I really hope someone can help me. I believe I am going to do a couple things and then go ahead and put it back together for now, good thing I live in the south I have time I can use hand signals until I can figure this out.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 96 Accord front side marker not working

Probe the connector - are you getting voltage and do you have continuity to ground? One has to be missing and knowing which will help in solving the issue.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Lost Again
Probe the connector - are you getting voltage and do you have continuity to ground? One has to be missing and knowing which will help in solving the issue.
Sorry it took so long to get back I went ahead and spent some time checking these things and I do get voltage and continuity. So with that being determined I was at a loss since I had both. I went ahead and put the bumper back on hoping to go get some different bulbs to try that. Before I did though I decided I would plug them in one last time (since I notice the old bulb did not look burnt out. Sure enough I plugged the side marker bulbs in and found that they still do not blink at all with the turn signal however when turning on the parking lights both of the bulbs located in the side marker are turned on. Also I will say that neither of the front side markers flash with the hazard signal. Therefore the bulbs work and the sockets seem to be working. Also I will say that neither of the front side markers flash with the hazard signal, however the one bumper light I currently have does.

With this is it more likely to be a fuse or relay causing them not to flash?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hang on....which light(s) are we talking about?

The "yellow" ones beside the headlights DO NOT FLASH with turn signals. Only the ones in the lower front bumper flash when the turn signals are on.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Lost Again
Hang on....which light(s) are we talking about?

The "yellow" ones beside the headlights DO NOT FLASH with turn signals. Only the ones in the lower front bumper flash when the turn signals are on.
That's right just the ones on the beside the headlights DO NOT FLASH. The ones in the lower bumper flash just fine. There are two bulbs that go into this side marker assembly and both will come on when turning on the parking lights and headlights but the one that is in the "yellow" portion of this assembly does not flash.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts

The front side markers for 96-97 Accords do not flash as turn or hazard signals. On 94-95 Accord they do; as the circuitry is different. The 94-95 has a side marker flasher relay as part of the Integrated Control Unit; whereas, the 96-97 does not.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tech8
The front side markers for 96-97 Accords do not flash as turn or hazard signals. On 94-95 Accord they do; as the circuitry is different. The 94-95 has a side marker flasher relay as part of the Integrated Control Unit; whereas, the 96-97 does not.
Interesting. I was rather sure they had been at some point. In fact I am positive they had because the bumper lights were completely gone. Oh well I guess that's that.