Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

95 accord front wheel bearing and hub replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 accord front wheel bearing and hub replacement

so ive decided too replace the hub assembly with new bearing, too not have too deal with pressing new bearings in, are there any methods anyone could throw my way too make this as painless as possible? Thanks guys!
Old 02-11-2015, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 95 accord front wheel bearing and hub replacement

You can use a slide-hammer to extract the hub from the bearing, but going back in will require a press.

[EDIT] Misread. The way the hub assembly is built, from what I've gathered through photos, is that after the 4 bolts have been removed there is still a metal lip of the hub assembly that is friction-fit into the knuckle and may still need a slide hammer to remove, and then a dead-blow hammer or similar to reinstall.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by charliecd5
so ive decided too replace the hub assembly with new bearing, [to] not have [to] deal with pressing new bearings in, are there any methods anyone could throw my way too make this as painless as possible? Thanks guys!
it's possible to get the hub unit off of the knuckle without a press, but you won't be able to get the old bearing off of the hub/shaft and new bearing onto it without risking damage if you don't use a press.

To remove the hub unit from the knuckle:

you can usually get the hub unit loose from the knuckle by removing the four bolts that hold it on, replacing them with four longer bolts that leave at least a half inch gap after being threaded in 6-10 turns (or the same thread distance that the originals tighten with) and tap them with a hammer in a crisscross pattern, little by little until it comes loose. clean out any rust and apply some anti-seize to the knuckle before you put the new one in. thread the original bolts in and with 1/4 to 1/2 turn each, one after the other, use them to draw the bearing up to the knuckle.

I've used this method successfully for years without issue. If you pay attention and work carefully it should work for you also.

To get new bearings installed:

either buy the hub shaft and bearings both new or get some used hub units from the junk yard and have new bearings installed. carry everything to a nearby shop and have them press the bearings onto your new or used hub shafts. then all you need to do is install them on the vehicle as a pre-assembled unit.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

When you press the hub off the bearing it leaves the inner race on the shaft of the hub. The only way I have found (and the local shop as well) is to grind down the bearing race enough that a coal chisel can crack the race. There is simply no way for a puller to grab the race.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Fitz Williams
When you press the hub off the bearing it leaves the inner race on the shaft of the hub. The only way I have found (and the local shop as well) is to grind down the bearing race enough that a coal chisel can crack the race. There is simply no way for a puller to grab the race.
yeah, forgot to mention that. I like to use a small cutoff wheel on a die grinder to put a slit diagonally across the race way until I can get it to crack with an air chisel.

I've considered trying to heat the inner ring and chill the shaft (with dry ice) just to see if it would work... but haven't yet.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually pull whole knuckle. And put it in a strong vice. Loosen the hub bolts...but dont totally remove them. Then use a big hammer( ihave a short three pound sledge that works great)...hit the bolt heads..and that will press out the bearing. Thats the easiest way i have found...with no presses or pullers needed. Plus you wont screw up the threads on the wheel studs, cause knuckle is in vice.