Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 EX wont turn over, good battery, no solenoid click and weird humming, etc...help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 EX wont turn over, good battery, no solenoid click and weird humming, etc...help!

My son has a 94 Accord EX that lately has been having an occasional problem turning over for about the last 3 weeks, but today just quit cranking entirely. I apologize that I haven't been able to get hands on to check everything myself but here are the details I know of:

--2.2 vtek w/ automatic trans
--Doesn't hear any solenoid click when he turns the key to start
--Has checked all fuses/relays inside fuse panel and under hood and says he hears/feels the main relay click when the key is turned to start--so I think his ignition switch is good, assuming it is his starter relay clicking (I'm not sure how thorough his relay check was other than feeling a click--could someone steer me to a page with the layout of the fuse/relay box under the hood for a 94 ex accord? There's supposed to be label on the cover but it's gone and the ones I find online, I can't be certain are for his specific year/model)
--Hears the fuel pump prime for a couple seconds when he first turns the key on
--The headlights do not dim when he tries to start the car, so I'm assuming there is no battery drain by the starter engaging.
--The rest of the car's electronics seem to work fine when the key is on.

Ok, here's where it gets a little strange:
--He says he hears a humming sound when he tries to crank the car that is similar to how the fuel pump sounds when he first turns the key on--only it's not coming from the rear--it's up front, right side. It isn't the starter spinning and not engaging, he says it's behind the starter, closer back near the firewall and can't tell exactly where it's coming from. As soon as he stops trying to turn the car over, the humming stops.
--When he tries to turn the car over, his high mount brake light comes on and then goes off when he stops trying to turn the car over.

what I haven't been able to do:
--check for voltage leaks between his starter and ground/power
--check his connections at the starter, etc.
--do a load check on his battery
--anything to do with his starter/solenoid (i.e. put my VOM on it and check voltages, jump the poles, etc.)
--check his park safety switch..or whatever it's called.

So, given the info above, does anyone have any ideas other than the things I have listed that I haven't been able to go over and check? I have no idea what could be humming by his firewall when he tries to crank it...he says it's definitely not the starter or solenoid making the noise...that has me baffled.

Also, why would his high-mount brake light be coming on only when he cranks it? I have read some strange things about lights coming on and off due to misc electronic issues. Any help would be appreciated!

Thx in advance.