Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 EX thinking about going Chipped P28

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 EX thinking about going Chipped P28

I have a 94 EX, F22b1 with I/H/E, I have a resonator in place of the cat because the cheap cat I had was 95% blocked. No Balancer belt. Earls lines and filter for fuel. No AC. I have the F23 Intake Manifold with H22a Throttle body and Thermal gaskets at the TB and Manifold. Aluminum Rad and slim fans not that there is any performance gain there. I had an External MSD coil/MSD Cap/MSD wires but removed them because they made the car unreliable and didn't add much if anything. Back to Stock and NGK. I have a custom grounding kit, and Optima battery. I had some Ignition bugs I was working out for a few years that seem to be resolved finally. I swapped out the Alternator a few days ago as well and that helped. The car does seem to be running a little rich, I can smell gas sometimes, considering a wideband mainly just for troubleshooting. No fuel leaks.

I just changed out the manifold and I am noticing a loss of power at the low end. One note when I changed out the Intake manifold the Air temp sensor was broken off on my old manifold and there was a some odd solenoid attached to the plug, not attached to the engine. Fixed that with the new Manifold.

Obviously this is not the best platform in the world but I have the modifying bug. I plan to run this engine until it wont run then H22A swap most likely.

I was thinking that there may be some gains to be had with a different ECU. I did some reading and found that putting a F22b1 baseline on a chipped p28 is a good way to go. I have a spare p28 laying around from my wifes B20 swap. For around 100$ I can send it out to phearable.net and get it chipped and get a baseline added. I could chip it myself for under 50$ but then I would still need a baseline and would need to purchase the rom burner right away so its more cost effective to send it out and be up and running right away. Any thoughts on this? Once its chipped I can get a cable for the ECU for logging and then I can play with the ecu a bit and burn a few extra chips with different fuel maps and such. The cable and burner come out to around $150. It would be a fun learning experience if nothing else.

The P0A works just fine but didn't seem like a very popular ECU to chip. Also I was thinking that if I went H22 I could still use the p28 with a different rom, that would save some cash later on. My h22a in my prelude 10 years ago had a "Mugen" programmed ECU.(who knows what the programming actually was) it ran great compared to a stock ECU.

Any inputs or experience would be appreciated.

Last edited by Scott Little; 12-22-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 EX thinking about going Chipped P28

Just a note, the car may just feel slow now because I rarely drive it and have been driving my wife's Ej1 that I put the B20 in. My wife has been driving my car. I didn't think the civic would be as fun as it is now.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the car for $1700 a few years back and it was in pretty bad shape. Its been a Daily Driver project. I have scrubbed the engine bay multiple times but i think the old paint just keeps everything. Pictures were just taken at night so everything looks dirtier, i think. Been upgrading whenever doing maintenance. Optima battery is out at the moment, my alternator was toast and i threw in a cheap walmart battery get the car home and get the battery tested. Grounding kit connects from the battery to the main engine ground and then to the Valve cover. The upper left wire is off because i didnt put if back on after the manifold upgrade.

Last edited by Scott Little; 12-22-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No comments huh? I just installed new Skunk 2 shocks and realized that I had the shock bushings installed upside down. Got the new ones in correctly now.

I think ill sit on this ecu for a bit until I finish paying off Christmas then send it out to get chipped. For around 100$ that's not a bad deal. once its chipped I can basically use it for any D/B/F/H motor by changing the base map.

I am curious what kind of gains/losses any of you have seen.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Give it a shot other than $100 what do you have to lose?