Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 EX, JDM F22b vtec timing, now problems

Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 94 EX, JDM F22b vtec timing, now problems

I needed to do the waterpump, so of course, I did the timing. Everything was replaced accordingly, all TDC marks matched up properly using numerous guides I've come across. Besides that, you can see the TDC marks on certain pulleys and then on the cam.

So now, while driving, most often in second gear, I feel a "bouncy" feeling. similar to a jumping throttle cable. The idle is perfect, sits around 600rpm or so, very smooth, no vibration while driving what so ever.

Now, the motor randomly revved up in the 3k range while put in neutral. Not too sure what is going on, but everything is plugged in and lined up.

The ONLY thing that I am second guessing, is the TDC on the cam pulley. It was facing UP, but there was no horizontal marks on the pulley, or on the back plastic cover for the pulley. I don't know if the pulley needs to have the horizontal marks matched up with the surface of the head with the valve cover removed, or not.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:36 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: 94 EX, JDM F22b vtec timing, now problems

Originally Posted by 4g4dcruisin
I don't know if the pulley needs to have the horizontal marks matched up with the surface of the head with the valve cover removed, or not.

Any help is appreciated.
Yeop the Cam sprocket needs to have the UP facing up and the two horizontal marks are matched up to the back plastic cover.

Now if the throttle is sticking you need to verify if its the TB, the cables, or possibly just the IAC acting up.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope doesn't sound like anything to do with the valve timing causing that. So, good news is you did the waterpump and timing belt correctly. The bad is that you have another issue. As Mike mentioned, I'd start at the, cables first, throttle body and /or check the idle air control. No vacume leaks anywhere?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only confusing part is that NOTHING else is different from the day before the water pump went out, to now. All i touched was the timing/water pump.

I don't have that lower brace installed to the lower crossmembers, I wasn't able to get it back on correctly once I did the motor swap. Is there a reason why the bolt holes wouldn't match up?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, anyone know what the name of that lower brace is? It goes from the rear subframe to the front subframe, its about 2 feet long.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You talking about the center piece that runs under the oilpan? Center brace I think it's called? I know that you didn't touch anything else but that doesn't mean something else didn't just coincidentally F-up. Sounds like IRC to me.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Steve Z
You talking about the center piece that runs under the oilpan? Center brace I think it's called? I know that you didn't touch anything else but that doesn't mean something else didn't just coincidentally F-up. Sounds like IRC to me.
Yea, that center brace, 3 bolt holes on one side, 2 on the other side. For some reason I can't get the holes to match up.

I will re-wire my o2 as soon as I find out the wiring colors, cant seem to find them online. What is IRC?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That would be the Idle air control. It's located on the throttle body. If you do a seach you'll see a few articles or threads on how to fix/adjust it. If you do, don't tighten it down hard, just easily turn the slotted head in with a flatheaded screwdriver till it seats. It is likely the cause of that 3k rev in neutral deal although usually it will cause your idle to hunt a bit also.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Steve Z
That would be the Idle air control. It's located on the throttle body. If you do a seach you'll see a few articles or threads on how to fix/adjust it. If you do, don't tighten it down hard, just easily turn the slotted head in with a flatheaded screwdriver till it seats. It is likely the cause of that 3k rev in neutral deal although usually it will cause your idle to hunt a bit also.
that screw is facing the passenger side, just above the intake tube hole, right? I think I know what you're talking about.

I have to find out why the motor feels like its bouncing while accelerating. doesn't feel like its running rough, just bouncy. I'm pretty sure that brace has a lot to do with how sturdy the car is running.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yea, that center brace, 3 bolt holes on one side, 2 on the other side. For some reason I can't get the holes to match up.

I will re-wire my o2 as soon as I find out the wiring colors, cant seem to find them online. What is IRC?
lol try turning it around
Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
lol try turning it around
What? The front cross member has 3 holes forming a triangle, the rear has two linear holes...
Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

bump, anyone know what the name of that lower brace is? It goes from the rear subframe to the front subframe, its about 2 feet long.
The PO of the 95 EX hit a rock and mangled it. Even after some convincing with a single jack and hydraulic press it still is a PITA to get on.
Try getting a bolt on each end loosely and try to get the other holes to line up. Be careful as it is easy to cross thread the nut serts if you are not careful.

If you removed the crossbrace with the car not sitting level you may have induced just enough of a bend/twist in the car to not allow the brace to line back.

Did you remember to reinstall the ground strap that bolts to the cam cover and both sides of the engine mount?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
The PO of the 95 EX hit a rock and mangled it. Even after some convincing with a single jack and hydraulic press it still is a PITA to get on.
Try getting a bolt on each end loosely and try to get the other holes to line up. Be careful as it is easy to cross thread the nut serts if you are not careful.

If you removed the crossbrace with the car not sitting level you may have induced just enough of a bend/twist in the car to not allow the brace to line back.

Did you remember to reinstall the ground strap that bolts to the cam cover and both sides of the engine mount?
I removed the lower brace while the car was in my driveway, so you're probably right that something was slightly bent. I can only get one side bolted up, no matter what I try i cannot get both sides lined up.

Yes, the ground cable that goes from near the power steering pump to the driverside mount is installed.