Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 Accord tires, mechanic = ripping me off

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Accord tires, mechanic = ripping me off

So I recently took my car to Midas to get the golden touch right?
Well I got the inspection package for 35$ and they told me that I need new struts in the rear along with a laundry list of things like flush my power stearing.
For some reason I really don't believe them about the new struts. They said my rear tires were cupped and on inspection only my rear left one is actually cupped.
I do have a car with 170k but I just dont feel with one tire cupped I really need it since it's a pricey job to get done. I wish I could tell you if the struts were changed at any point during its history but the car doesn't ride that rough over bumps.

Any opinions ?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:09 AM

Default Re: 94 Accord tires, mechanic = ripping me off (Homesickelian)

If one strut on the back is bad and causing the tire to cup, it's a good idea to replace them both, especially since you don't know when they were last changed. It may be expensive, but it's better than constantly replacing tires.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 94 Accord tires, mechanic = ripping me off (I R Tylor)

Midas and AMMCO are the kings of rip-offs. I'd stay far away from them.

They tell everyone they need new shocks & struts. Who the expletive flushes their power steering either? Btw, if you use non-OEM Honda fluid on the steering rack, it will destroy the seals and leak bad.

Also - if you have someone else look at your car as it goes over bumps at speed and you don't see any tire jumping or catching air...your struts are fine for normal driving.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 AM

last time i took my car to midas for an inspection, they failed me for clear bumper lenses not being DOT approved. which i understand, it was my lazy self not swapping them out first. brought it back, then they failed me for cracking sway bar end link bushings. well whatever, if thats it, then i replaced them and brought it back. then it failed for improper wear on one tire.

bunch of ******** if you ask me, they charged me $35 each time, and it still never passed.

back before i knew anything, my dad brought our corolla to them, they said the clicking was the CV joints going bad, and within the next couple days the axles will break and the wheels will lose steering control and go whichever ways they want, and send me careening off the highway to my death.

yeah, so i drove the car home and drove it for months and months after without a problem.

ive literally never stepped foot in a shop since.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:49 PM

Disregard my last post, I didn't realize how much Midas sucks.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Years ago, my youngest sister brought her car in to Midas to have the brakes inspected. Midas claimed she need also needed new rotors and wanted like $400 for the brake job. (She didn't get the brakes done there.)

I went and bought new rotors for her car, and brought it to a mechanic I knew. The other mechanic said the old rotors still had plenty of meat left, and could just be turned. I personally wouldn't recommend Midas.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tech8)

rofl, thanks for the help guys. I'm going to have a nice discussion with my neighbor now, who's a mechanic. I would have asked him first but I don't want to abuse the fact that he's a mechanic. I'm about to go on a 900 mile roadtrip so I want to make sure my car's in working order...
Hey, this post allowed a lot of you guys to vent, always good, hah..