Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 Accord Stalls Upon Hard Braking With Low Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Accord Stalls Upon Hard Braking With Low Fuel

I am currently chasing a problem on my 94 Accord Lx where vehicle stalls with hard braking when tank is low. Normal tank full to near empty is about 400+miles. Stalling upon hard braking occurs when I get above the 300mile point or so on a full tank. I believe the problem continues to get worse....car stalls more easily with less hard braking necessary whenever I get beyond the 300miles point.

The problem does not exist if gas level is kept above this critical point. Problem does not occur if you hold the idle up when hard braking and low fuel level.

I have already changed fuel filter with tune up. I beginning to believe is somehow related to fuel pump or the pickup filter that sits on the fuel pump. I have spoken to local mechanic that works soley on honda and acuras about this situation. He finds it hard to believe that it's the pump.....he has not seen one go bad.

Anyone have any similar experiences and find the solution???
How difficult is it to drop the tank and replace pump??

Thanks In Advance

JimD
Old 09-14-2008, 06:02 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally I would say it's a fuel pump from what you're describing, either it's not situated right or is starting to crap out. Just using the same problem solving you did. And experience with other pumps (my fish tank pump does a similar thing with lower water.)

But I've never personally had experience with it on my Accord so I can't give you a 100% answer on it but it sounds like a good route to follow.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:03 AM

Default Re: 94 Accord Stalls Upon Hard Braking With Low Fuel (jfdegnan)

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. I WAS TOLD IT WAS THE FUEL SENDING UNIT, WHICH I BOUGHT AND REPLACED. IT DID NOT WORK. I AM CUTTING OUT AFTER ABOUT 11 GALLONS AND I HAVE A 17 GALLONG TANK. TODAY I JUST KEPT STARTING IT AND RUNNING IT AND GOT TO ABOUT 14.5 GALLONS USED, BUT IT STALLED EVERYTIME I BRAKED. DID YOU EVER FIND OUT THE PROBLEM?
Old 09-17-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Re: 94 Accord Stalls Upon Hard Braking With Low Fuel (ATHEFF)

Hi Atheff!

No, I have not unlocked the mystery yet. Just curious....

1.) are you able to keep it from stalling during hard stop with low fuel level by holding the idle up to or above 1000 rpms??

2.) did your problem just "show up" or is it gradually getting worse...stalling with more gas in tank???

3.) will the car start right up after it stalls

Thanks

JimD
Old 09-17-2008, 02:50 PM

Atheff, one other thought I had is the gas cap. I need to review how a pump in the tank actually creates pressure. I've always understood the pump has to work harder when there is less fuel in the system...this would imply that it need to create more vacuum to create the lift.....if the system is leaking (cap or other area) I could imagine it being difficult to create lift. Just a thought....

JimD
Old 09-24-2008, 04:53 AM

Sorry I havent gotten back with you. It is not getting worse, and the new fuel sending unit did correct my guage that would tell me I was low on fuel after 11 gallons, but now it is stalling out with almost 1/2 tank of gas (probably at the same actual fuel level, just the guage is different). My cap is tight. I had a similar problem on a boat that had a pin hole in the fuel pickup and when the level got low, it sucked air. My car will run in a straight line until out of fuel, but not in town. It usually starts right up, but is harder the lower i let the level get. There has to be an easy solution. Its very frustrating.

I am also having a problem with my headlights not coming on all the time now. Had to drive home in the dark last night.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:48 PM

Default Re: 94 Accord Stalls Upon Hard Braking With Low Fuel

i need this one too
Old 01-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jfdegnan
I am currently chasing a problem on my 94 Accord Lx where vehicle stalls with hard braking when tank is low. Normal tank full to near empty is about 400+miles. Stalling upon hard braking occurs when I get above the 300mile point or so on a full tank. I believe the problem continues to get worse....car stalls more easily with less hard braking necessary whenever I get beyond the 300miles point.

The problem does not exist if gas level is kept above this critical point. Problem does not occur if you hold the idle up when hard braking and low fuel level.

I have already changed fuel filter with tune up. I beginning to believe is somehow related to fuel pump or the pickup filter that sits on the fuel pump. I have spoken to local mechanic that works soley on honda and acuras about this situation. He finds it hard to believe that it's the pump.....he has not seen one go bad.

Anyone have any similar experiences and find the solution???
How difficult is it to drop the tank and replace pump??

Thanks In Advance

JimD
I answered a post last year from an US Air Force airman stationed in the Carolina's who was having vexing issues much like this.
This is what we found.
Somewhere in the vehicles past, the fuel tanks bottom had been pushed up by running over something aproximating a parking lot curb.
It was hidden damage since the tank bottom sprung back into position but not the tank fuel pickup.
The Tank Fuel Pick-up remained bent up, effectively reducing the amount of fuel available since the pickup was now higher and unable to sample from the sump bottom. It would intermittantly stall during stops when it read less than 1/4 full.
Surprisingly (and what was throwing off the diagnosis) was that the level sensor wasn't acting strange.
Take a look at the bottom of your tank

P
Old 10-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Trial User

I have observed the same problem in my 94 accord too. It occured a couple of times earlier and after refuelling it went away.
But now it is occuring with fuel tank too after changing fuel filter it still remained.
Getting it verified tomorrow for dispositioning and see if it helps.

Wondering does this has any thing with 94 Accords?

Jim - Did you get a chance to resolve problem by verifying tank positioning?

- Raj
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P_Adams
I answered a post last year from an US Air Force airman stationed in the Carolina's who was having vexing issues much like this.
This is what we found.
Somewhere in the vehicles past, the fuel tanks bottom had been pushed up by running over something aproximating a parking lot curb.
It was hidden damage since the tank bottom sprung back into position but not the tank fuel pickup.
The Tank Fuel Pick-up remained bent up, effectively reducing the amount of fuel available since the pickup was now higher and unable to sample from the sump bottom. It would intermittantly stall during stops when it read less than 1/4 full.
Surprisingly (and what was throwing off the diagnosis) was that the level sensor wasn't acting strange.
Take a look at the bottom of your tank

P
+1 to this answer